News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

TV Shows that started out good and toward the end it changed totally

Started by roadman65, February 05, 2019, 10:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Quote from: roadman on March 18, 2019, 05:09:53 PM
Quote from: kphoger on February 08, 2019, 06:12:24 PM
Batman got pretty lame, and it really didn't take all that long.  In the second season, Batman ran for city mayor and encouraged people to vote.  Not exactly superhero escapades.

I'm sure many of us didn't appreciate it when we watched it as kids, but Batman vs The Penguin for the mayor of Gotham City was a great commentary on how outlandish some aspects of our political system are.  And this was in 1968 - things have only gotten worse since then.  To me, the decline of Batman really began when they introduced Batgirl, and accelerated when they dropped the two-episodes per plot (and the inevitable cliffhanger ending of episode 1) in favor of the single episode format.

Batgirl was brought in, in part, because ratings were slipping. 
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

PHLBOS

Batman got pretty lame, and it really didn't take all that long.  In the second season, Batman ran for city mayor and encouraged people to vote.  Not exactly superhero escapades.

I'm sure many of us didn't appreciate it when we watched it as kids, but Batman vs The Penguin for the mayor of Gotham City was a great commentary on how outlandish some aspects of our political system are.  And this was in 1968 - things have only gotten worse since then.
Never mind 1968, the 1939 movie Mr. Smith Goes to Washington with Jimmy Stewart showed such as well.  When that movie was released, it was heavily criticized by many politicians at the time.  I guess the story-line & its elements touched a few nerves.

Edit: it was not my intention to steer this thread off-topic.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

abefroman329

Quote from: PHLBOS on March 19, 2019, 01:24:42 PM

I'm sure many of us didn't appreciate it when we watched it as kids, but Batman vs The Penguin for the mayor of Gotham City was a great commentary on how outlandish some aspects of our political system are.  And this was in 1968 - things have only gotten worse since then.
Never mind 1968, the 1939 movie Mr. Smith Goes to Washington with Jimmy Stewart showed such as well.  When that movie was released, it was heavily criticized by many politicians at the time.  I guess the story-line & its elements touched a few nerves.
I started reading Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail in 2016 and was struck by how little had changed.

lepidopteran

...when they dropped the two-episodes per plot (and the inevitable cliffhanger ending of episode 1) in favor of the single episode format.
Amazing how I still hear the catchphrase "Same bat-time, same bat-channel" decades later, in reference to a recurring event or such.  I even use the line myself sometimes.

Wasn't there at least one cliffhanger that the dynamic duo had no real way of getting out of?  And when they returned the next day, they already had escaped, with one of them beginning with something like "Can't believe how we got out of that one, Batman!"

abefroman329

Quote from: lepidopteran on March 19, 2019, 03:02:01 PM
...when they dropped the two-episodes per plot (and the inevitable cliffhanger ending of episode 1) in favor of the single episode format.
Amazing how I still hear the catchphrase "Same bat-time, same bat-channel" decades later, in reference to a recurring event or such.  I even use the line myself sometimes.

Wasn't there at least one cliffhanger that the dynamic duo had no real way of getting out of?  And when they returned the next day, they already had escaped, with one of them beginning with something like "Can't believe how we got out of that one, Batman!"
I thought they still used the "same Bat-Time, same Bat-Channel!" sign off even when the ep wasn't a cliffhanger.  And yes, I remember an ep like the one where you described, where they didn't show the escape.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: lepidopteran on March 19, 2019, 03:02:01 PM

I wonder what if instead of airing back then the 2nd part of the Bat-episode the following day, they aired it the following week?

davewiecking

There were some episodes that were 3 parters, which did extend into the next bat-week...

roadman

Quote from: abefroman329 on March 19, 2019, 03:23:48 PM
I thought they still used the "same Bat-Time, same Bat-Channel!" sign off even when the ep wasn't a cliffhanger.  And yes, I remember an ep like the one where you described, where they didn't show the escape.
Years ago, The Simpsons did a parody of that.  Bart and Adam West are trapped in a situation they can't get out of, and Adam says "Don't worry Bart.  Any minute now, the director will yell "Cut", and we can just climb down from here."
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.