News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

More Kmart stores closing

Started by LM117, September 19, 2016, 06:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

Quote from: roadman65 on September 27, 2016, 07:29:30 AM
Someone argued here with me that K Mart bought out Sears and not Sears buying K Mart.  Well that is ironic considering that Sears is still around and K Mart has been closing stores over the past two decades.  The stumbling retailer is the owner of one that is somewhat surviving.  Maybe they need to manage their last few stores like they do their Sears brand stores.

Kmart (Eddie Lampert) did in fact buy Sears and change the name to Sears Holdings, and moved the corporate HQ from Troy, MI to Hoffman Estates, IL.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

roadman65

That's probably why!  He spend all his money needed to save K Mart on buying Sears, that had a better management set up then them.  Sure Sears was not perfect, but at least they have more stores in business than K Mart.

That is why I said let Sears management get transferred to K Mart stores and maybe they can save what is left of the once giant chain.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

bing101

hm insulators

I'm surprised K-mart is still around. The last time I was inside a K-mart, I was outside the store checking out a classic-car show in the mall parking lot and I had to use the restroom. It took me a few minutes to do so, and I noticed that the merchandise was dusty and tired, the floor was grungy and filthy and with all the hundreds of people just outside with the classic cars, you'd think the store would at least have some customers. Instead, you could've gone berserk with a machine gun and not hit anybody.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

Scott5114

Quote from: roadman65 on September 27, 2016, 11:37:40 AM
That's probably why!  He spend all his money needed to save K Mart on buying Sears, that had a better management set up then them.  Sure Sears was not perfect, but at least they have more stores in business than K Mart.

That is why I said let Sears management get transferred to K Mart stores and maybe they can save what is left of the once giant chain.

Sears isn't doing much better lately. They may not have the store closings in the headlines, but it's not like they're raking it in to the point that they can save Kmart.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

JasonOfORoads

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 29, 2016, 05:06:45 PM
Sears isn't doing much better lately. They may not have the store closings in the headlines, but it's not like they're raking it in to the point that they can save Kmart.
You can tell when a chain is in its death throes when it stops paying to pipe music into its stores, like what happened the last time I went to Sears.
Borderline addicted to roadgeeking since ~1989.

roadman65

Sears, I remember, in 1988 closed their stores for one day, to lower all their prices as they were in trouble then and by lowering their prices they were trying to get volume sales in hope to make up for the deficit.

Also to know many department stores besides Sears and Kmart are operating in the red instead of the black.  Macy's for one is paying most sales staff draw verses commission for a salary.  That means that the sales person's base wage, that is the minimum by law, is covered by the commission they receive.  In other words, you must make more in commission per day than you make in hourly wage or else you owe the house the difference.  If it goes on long enough, the store will start paying 5 bucks an hour to that said employee who was not selling more than his wages until the draw is covered.

That is how Macy's justifies their sales department's wages on the books.  They can hire as many sales people without effecting the intake costs as their salary comes directly from purchases.  Considering that I only made 1 percent of the merchandise price, that one percent went on the books as labor cost.  If an employee quit or gotten fired, I am guessing it would be written off come April 15 and the books could still look good.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: roadman65 on September 29, 2016, 07:43:41 PM
Sears, I remember, in 1988 closed their stores for one day, to lower all their prices as they were in trouble then and by lowering their prices they were trying to get volume sales in hope to make up for the deficit.

Also to know many department stores besides Sears and Kmart are operating in the red instead of the black.  Macy's for one is paying most sales staff draw verses commission for a salary.  That means that the sales person's base wage, that is the minimum by law, is covered by the commission they receive.  In other words, you must make more in commission per day than you make in hourly wage or else you owe the house the difference.  If it goes on long enough, the store will start paying 5 bucks an hour to that said employee who was not selling more than his wages until the draw is covered.

That is how Macy's justifies their sales department's wages on the books.  They can hire as many sales people without effecting the intake costs as their salary comes directly from purchases.  Considering that I only made 1 percent of the merchandise price, that one percent went on the books as labor cost.  If an employee quit or gotten fired, I am guessing it would be written off come April 15 and the books could still look good.

Doesn't Sears have the same thing?  I could swear that I read an article or two which said some departments like Appliances and Electronics were commission based in addition to having that draw system?  That sort of thing probably worked a lot better in the pre-internet age when there wasn't as much product information around.  Even car sales have been drastically affected due to buyer knowledge being way higher than it used to be.

Quote from: JasonOfORoads on September 29, 2016, 06:08:43 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on September 29, 2016, 05:06:45 PM
You can tell when a chain is in its death throes when it stops paying to pipe music into its stores, like what happened the last time I went to Sears.

Like Target who likely does it only to be different than Walmart?  :-D

Quote from: hm insulators on September 29, 2016, 04:38:23 PM
I'm surprised K-mart is still around. The last time I was inside a K-mart, I was outside the store checking out a classic-car show in the mall parking lot and I had to use the restroom. It took me a few minutes to do so, and I noticed that the merchandise was dusty and tired, the floor was grungy and filthy and with all the hundreds of people just outside with the classic cars, you'd think the store would at least have some customers. Instead, you could've gone berserk with a machine gun and not hit anybody.

Interesting analogy...   :rolleyes:  Actually there was a Kmart store just like that in New Mexico that I used to frequent literally because it was a tomb.  Any time I needed some general merchandise or a pop it was the place to go since there was never any shoppers in the store.  The Walmart was filled to the brims with the dregs of humanity and oddly it made that Kmart seem wholesome by comparison....certainly worth the nominal difference in price to be left in peace during my shopping experience.

Quote from: bing101 on September 29, 2016, 02:58:01 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsV1e1XCmWk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szdbKz5CyhA

Now I don't know the exact conversion of British Pounds to US Dollars in 1984 but almost $13,000 seems excessive to hold in a checking account balance.

busman_49

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 30, 2016, 08:38:18 AM
....certainly worth the nominal difference in price to be left in peace during my shopping experience.

Normally I would agree, except I've gone into Kmart on a few occasions and couldn't find what I need.  Oh, and I need to replace a 6-month-old kitchen faucet sprayer (that I bought at a certain retailer) because it leaks...

US71

I bought a small cacti 3-4 years ago for $1 on clearance.

I bought a USB to AC cell phone adapter on clearance in July, and that's all I've spent at K-Mart.

The closest one is 80 miles from me, so I only stop if I'm in the neighborhood and think about it.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: busman_49 on September 30, 2016, 12:59:34 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 30, 2016, 08:38:18 AM
....certainly worth the nominal difference in price to be left in peace during my shopping experience.

Normally I would agree, except I've gone into Kmart on a few occasions and couldn't find what I need.  Oh, and I need to replace a 6-month-old kitchen faucet sprayer (that I bought at a certain retailer) because it leaks...

Fortunately a ready supply of Diet Mountain Dew was readily available in my case.

Desert Man

The nearest K-marts to me is in Indio (there were historically 2 in Coachella), Desert Hot Springs (nearby is a future Wal-mart site) and Banning or Beaumont (not sure which). K-mart closed their sites in Cathedral City or Palm Springs (city limits ambiguity) and Yucca Valley, due to heavy competition with Wal-marts when they came in during the 1990s. Sears bought K-mart to save them from total decline, but they couldn't save itself from bankruptcy.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

inkyatari

Almost seems to me that if the company wants to be profitable again, lose the KMart name.  It's too damaged at this point.  Then give complete overhauls to the performing stores in the chain.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Desert Man on October 06, 2016, 11:08:38 AM
The nearest K-marts to me is in Indio (there were historically 2 in Coachella), Desert Hot Springs (nearby is a future Wal-mart site) and Banning or Beaumont (not sure which). K-mart closed their sites in Cathedral City or Palm Springs (city limits ambiguity) and Yucca Valley, due to heavy competition with Wal-marts when they came in during the 1990s. Sears bought K-mart to save them from total decline, but they couldn't save itself from bankruptcy.

Actually Kmart bought Sears.  Check the news links I posted earlier in the thread.  That neighborhood in DHS ain't good either, a little close to the windmill graveyard.

kkt

Quote from: inkyatari on October 06, 2016, 11:38:27 AM
Almost seems to me that if the company wants to be profitable again, lose the KMart name.  It's too damaged at this point.  Then give complete overhauls to the performing stores in the chain.

So you're saying all they'd need is new stock, a new name, and remodel all their stores?  That sounds like they'd be better off selling their assets to a different store...

inkyatari

Quote from: kkt on October 06, 2016, 12:33:27 PM

So you're saying all they'd need is new stock, a new name, and remodel all their stores?  That sounds like they'd be better off selling their assets to a different store...

In essence, I'm saying it's dead.

Max Rockatansky

Both of which they tried with Sears Grand and splitting off a real estate division of empty stores.  That's actually how they made their last profitable quarter.

Desert Man

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 06, 2016, 11:40:20 AM

Actually Kmart bought Sears.  Check the news links I posted earlier in the thread.  That neighborhood in DHS ain't good either, a little close to the windmill graveyard.

No kidding...my Dad rented apartments in DHS and Cathedral City near PS in the 1980s and 90s, not the best parts of the area to live, for sure. Wal-mart in CC closed and relocated to PS a few years ago, while Wal-mart opened a new smaller store in Indio to relieve near-tilt customer traffic in "supercenter" La Quinta and Palm Desert ones.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Desert Man on October 06, 2016, 09:33:19 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 06, 2016, 11:40:20 AM

No kidding...my Dad rented apartments in DHS and Cathedral City near PS in the 1980s and 90s, not the best parts of the area to live, for sure. Wal-mart in CC closed and relocated to PS a few years ago, while Wal-mart opened a new smaller store in Indio to relieve near-tilt customer traffic in "supercenter" La Quinta and Palm Desert ones.

Yeah I did some contract work out there for a couple months.  Ended up seeing so many nasty things go on at the corner of Palm Drive and Two Bunch Palms Trail.  Apparently the big thing was to steal copper piping and hightail it out of town.  Rumor was that the city was getting money from L.A. County to put felons in halfway houses.  Of course that Kmart is located at that intersection I just mentioned, way I always saw it that's how you knew your town was a shit hole....you weren't even good enough for Walmart.  :-D

epzik8

Quote from: epzik8 on September 19, 2016, 08:58:27 PM
I had a Kmart down the road from me that closed when I was like 5. I think there's one last Kmart in greater Baltimore, along Belair Road in Fullerton, but I don't even know if that one is still open. It's across the street from a former Sears Outlet.
Okay, I just drove through there on Thursday and that Kmart is indeed gone. However, the Sears Outlet is still alive and kicking.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

1995hoo

As far as I know the one in Charlottesville on Hydraulic Road is still open. That store has been the hub of the city's bus system for at least 25 years. Of all the peculiar places to play that role.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

GCrites

Some furniture stores "go out of business", hold "liquidation sales", then rebrand, remodel and open up in the same location. It's not a bad idea if a lot of their inventory has gone out of fashion and the place needed remodeled anyway.

inkyatari

I've thought, also, that they should ressurect the S. S. Kresgee name, and use that as a chain of stores like Dollar General.  Smaller, and in smaller locations.

briantroutman

Quote from: GCrites80s on October 26, 2016, 09:16:52 PM
Some furniture stores "go out of business", hold "liquidation sales", then rebrand, remodel and open up in the same location. It's not a bad idea if a lot of their inventory has gone out of fashion and the place needed remodeled anyway.

Reminded me of this bit from Seattle's Almost Live with Pat Cashman–who some may recognize as the off-camera voice from Bill Nye the Science Guy.

jp the roadgeek

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.