News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Clinching Counties' Highways

Started by NWI_Irish96, June 25, 2019, 01:34:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce

Quote from: Rothman on July 29, 2020, 12:59:49 AM
Quote from: Bruce on July 28, 2020, 05:50:09 PM
To date, I have only clinched two counties in WA: Snohomish and Skagit. Working on King and Whatcom over this summer as extensions to natural trips.
You've clinched all the highway mileage in those counties?

*All state highway milesage.

Signed county routes aren't really a thing in Washington.

ftballfan

7/29/20 update
I've done several in Michigan:
Barry (nabbed the county's portion of M-78 in June)
Benzie
Branch
Isabella
Lake
Livingston
Manistee
Mason
Mecosta
Newaygo
Oceana
Osceola
Ottawa (clinched it twice as I had the county clinched before M-231 opened then had to re-clinch it)
Washtenaw
Wexford

I am close in the following counties:
Allegan (missing M-40 south of Allegan)
Eaton (missing unsigned Lansing Rd)
Grand Traverse (missing two small portions of M-72)
Hillsdale (missing small portions of M-49 and M-99)
Ingham (missing M-52 north of Webberville)
Jackson (only missing M-50 south of Brooklyn)
Kalamazoo (missing M-43 west of US-131)
Kent (missing small portions of M-21 and M-57)
Leelanau (missing everything north of M-204)
Missaukee (missing M-66 north of M-42)
Montcalm (missing most of M-57)
Muskegon (only missing M-120 between US-31 and Holton)
St. Joseph (missing US-12 west of Sturgis, as well as M-103 and M-216)

hobsini2

By these guidelines, I have 20 counties.
Illinois:
Cook
DeKalb
DuPage
Kane
Kendall
Putnam
Will

Kansas:
Comanche
Hodgeman
Meade
Rush
Scott
K94 in Clark is keeping that one from being clinched.

Texas:
Loving

Wisconsin:
Dodge
Door
Green Lake
Marquette
Walworth
Winnebago

I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

JayhawkCO

Clinched three more yesterday.  New in bold.  Up to 27 of 64 counties and 74% of all the roads in CO.

• Adams
  • Arapahoe
  • Boulder
  • Broomfield
  • Chaffee
  • Clear Creek
  • Denver
  • Douglas
  • Eagle
  • Gilpin
  • Grand
  • Hinsdale
  • Jackson
  • Jefferson
  • Larimer
  • Logan
  • Mineral
  • Moffat
  • Morgan
  • Ouray
  • Park
  • Rio Blanco
  • Routt
  • San Juan
  • Summit
  • Teller
  • Weld

Chris

NWI_Irish96

I'm now sitting on 60/92 counties in Indiana, including just over 82% of all signed highway mileage in the state.
There are about 6 counties left where I can do them within an 8-9 hour day trip. There are about 6 others I can pick up on trips down to my office. The others are going to take some multi-day trips specifically for that purpose.

Up to 8 now in Michigan. About 5 more that I can realistically do with day trips.

Haven't done anything in Illinois recently and still on 4. At least 5 more I can do but IN and MI are my priorities right now.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

deathtopumpkins

This will be a fun exercise...

MA: Barnstable, Berkshire, Bristol, Dukes, Essex, Franklin, Hampden, Hampshire, Middlesex, Nantucket, Norfolk, Plymouth, Suffolk, Worcester
NH: Belknap, Carroll, Cheshire, Coos, Grafton, Hillsborough, Merrimack, Rockingham, Strafford, Sullivan
ME: York (close on a couple others though)
VT: Windham, Bennington, Windsor, Addison, Washington, Essex (only missing 1 road in both Rutland and Orange)
RI: Bristol, Newport (very close on Washington and Kent)
NY: Richmond
VA: Virginia Beach, Suffolk, Isle of Wight, Hampton, Newport News, Poquoson, York, James City, Williamsburg, Manassas Park (only missing 1 road in Norfolk, Charles City, Hopewell, Manassas; very close in Chesapeake, Portsmouth, Gloucester, Fairfax (city))
NC: (Currituck would be here if not for NC 136)

MA raises an interesting question though - two of those counties don't contain any numbered highways. I'm counting them here (in italics) even though I've never been to either county, because 100% of 0 is still 0.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

kphoger

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on September 04, 2020, 11:06:53 AM
MA raises an interesting question though - two of those counties don't contain any numbered highways. I'm counting them here (in italics) even though I've never been to either county, because 100% of 0 is still 0.

Zero divided by zero is mathematically undefined–not 100%.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hotdogPi

They count. "I have been on all numbered highways in Nantucket" is equivalent to "there are no numbered highways in Nantucket I haven't been on".
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

kphoger

Quote from: 1 on September 04, 2020, 11:10:14 AM

They count. "I have been on all numbered highways in Nantucket" is equivalent to "there are no numbered highways in Nantucket I haven't been on".

I contend:  "You haven't even been on a single numbered highway in Nantucket, therefore you cannot have been on all of them."

Otherwise, for that matter, I've clinched the Moon.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: kphoger on September 04, 2020, 11:14:17 AM

I contend:  "You haven't even been on a single numbered highway in Nantucket, therefore you cannot have been on all of them."

I guess it's up to each person to decide how to deal with those counties.

For me personally, if I've visited a county that doesn't have any highways, I would count it. If I haven't even been to the county, I wouldn't.

hotdogPi

Quote from: https://docs.python.org/3/library/functions.htmlall(iterable)
Return True if all elements of the iterable are true (or if the iterable is empty). Equivalent to:

def all(iterable):
    for element in iterable:
        if not element:
            return False
    return True
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: paulthemapguy on February 10, 2020, 09:07:27 PM
Will, Grundy, Gallatin, Hardin, Stark, Putnam, Kendall, and DeKalb.

I can add Whiteside and Jo Daviess Counties, now.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: kphoger on September 04, 2020, 11:08:35 AM

According to my fiance, who is a mathematician, 100% of 0 absolutely is 0. According to him, "100% of 0" is not "0/0", but rather "100% x 0", which is 0, not undefined. Word it however you want, but if a county has no numbered highways, then by my logic we've all driven every numbered highway in that county. As 1 said, a better way of looking at it might be "there are no numbered highways in these counties that we haven't driven".

Not that it really matters, since we all can make up whatever rules we want to follow anyway.

And yes, I agree, you have clinched the moon, unless you add a caveat that you're defining the word "clinched" to mean both "driven every numbered highway in" AND "set foot on".
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

ftballfan

If everything goes to plan in the next few days, I will clinch the remaining state highways in Allegan and Hillsdale counties and get very close to knocking off the remaining state highway mileage in Calhoun, Kent, and St. Joseph counties

formulanone

Pfft...The moon doesn't have counties.

Seriously, I believe Dukes and Nantucket Counties do have unposted State Highways, so you genuinely would have to find a way to actually clinch them through some sort of physical effort.

Saying you've clinched something without even entering the plane of the counties' boundaries is nonsense.

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: formulanone on September 08, 2020, 07:19:11 AMSeriously, I believe Dukes and Nantucket Counties do have unposted State Highways, so you genuinely would have to find a way to actually clinch them through some sort of physical effort.

Saying you've clinched something without even entering the plane of the counties' boundaries is nonsense.

I think the vast majority of us don't normally care about clinching every piece of road that's state-maintained, only roads that carry a number. Yes there are state-maintained roads on the islands, but they do not have numbers (not even unposted ones, MassDOT inventories them by name). There are a ton of unnumbered roads maintained by the state, and tons of numbered roads not maintained by the state. Clinching normally only refers to the set of numbered ones, not the set of state-maintained ones. I doubt anyone who claims to have clinched Massachusetts's highways has driven every bit of state-maintained road. I know I haven't.

formulanone

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on September 08, 2020, 09:10:02 AM
Quote from: formulanone on September 08, 2020, 07:19:11 AMSeriously, I believe Dukes and Nantucket Counties do have unposted State Highways, so you genuinely would have to find a way to actually clinch them through some sort of physical effort.

I think the vast majority of us don't normally care about clinching every piece of road that's state-maintained, only roads that carry a number. Yes there are state-maintained roads on the islands, but they do not have numbers (not even unposted ones, MassDOT inventories them by name). There are a ton of unnumbered roads maintained by the state, and tons of numbered roads not maintained by the state. Clinching normally only refers to the set of numbered ones, not the set of state-maintained ones. I doubt anyone who claims to have clinched Massachusetts's highways has driven every bit of state-maintained road. I know I haven't.

Serious question: how many un-signed routes does MassDOT keep in inventory? I saw at least two "State Highway Begins" signs in Oak Harbor. If it's truly that many (like North Carolina or West Virginia's massive secondary/tertiary systems), then forgive my ignorance.

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: formulanone on September 08, 2020, 10:31:52 AM
Quote from: deathtopumpkins on September 08, 2020, 09:10:02 AM

Serious question: how many un-signed routes does MassDOT keep in inventory? I saw at least two "State Highway Begins" signs in Oak Harbor. If it's truly that many (like North Carolina or West Virginia's massive secondary/tertiary systems), then forgive my ignorance.

MassDOT inventories every bridge in the state, intersecting roads through every freeway interchange (sometimes for a mile or more), a variety of locally important roads around the state that don't have a number, and some old alignments of upgraded highways. It's not enough to really call them a secondary system a la NC, as towns do still maintain the overwhelming majority of roads. It's more a case of the intersection between the sets of roads maintained by the state, and roads carrying signed numbers is a lot smaller than you'd expect.

Some examples of state-maintained roads that aren't numbered, excluding bridges on otherwise town-maintained roads, and excluding segments that are just centered on freeway interchanges:

• Milestone Rd on Nantucket
  • Edgartown - W. Tisbury Rd on Martha's Vineyard
  • State Rd on Martha's Vineyard
  • Woods Hole Rd in Falmouth
  • Waterhouse Rd in Bourne
  • Sandwich Rd in Bourne
  • State Rd in Sagamore, Bourne
  • S. Main St in Acushnet
  • County St in Lakeville
  • Willard St in Quincy
  • Eastern Ave in Cheslea
  • Middlesex Ave in Medford
  • Washington St & Salem St in Woburn
  • Lexington St/Woburn St in Woburn/Lexington
  • Toll Rd in Salisbury (pre-95 connector from US 1 to the NH turnpike)
  • Merrill Rd & Rabbit St in Salisbury
  • Elm St in Amesbury
  • Chocksett Rd in Sterling
  • A whole string of roads from Douglas to Millbury
  • "Route 15" in Sturbridge (pre-84 highway)
  • River Rd in Agawam
  • Montague City Rd in Greenfield

There are also other state agencies besides MassDOT that own and maintain roads, particularly DCR, whose jurisdiction includes most roads named "parkway", along with a variety of random urban streets, most of which don't carry any numbers (e.g. Ocean Ave & Revere Beach Blvd, Nahant Rd, Morrissey Blvd, Day Blvd, Storrow Drive, Soldiers Field Rd, Nonantum Rd, the list goes on).

kphoger

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on September 07, 2020, 09:12:53 AM

Quote from: kphoger on September 04, 2020, 11:08:35 AM

According to my fiance, who is a mathematician, 100% of 0 absolutely is 0. According to him, "100% of 0" is not "0/0", but rather "100% x 0", which is 0, not undefined. Word it however you want, but if a county has no numbered highways, then by my logic we've all driven every numbered highway in that county. As 1 said, a better way of looking at it might be "there are no numbered highways in these counties that we haven't driven".

Not that it really matters, since we all can make up whatever rules we want to follow anyway.

And yes, I agree, you have clinched the moon, unless you add a caveat that you're defining the word "clinched" to mean both "driven every numbered highway in" AND "set foot on".

I never said that 100% of 0 isn't 0.

If a county has ten county highways, and you've done four of them, then your progress is 4 done / 10 total = 40% completed.  You have clinched them once your total reaches 10 done / 10 total = 100% of them.

Let's say we do our math the complicated way.  You've done four out of ten county highways.  You guys are suggesting that you'd first figure out how many county highways you haven't clinched.  Fine.  10 total — 4 done = 6 remaining.  6 remaining / 10 total is greater than 0%, therefore you haven't yet clinched the county.  Makes total sense to me.  More complicated, but still makes sense.

By this method, for a county with no county highways, you'd first figure out how many county highways you haven't done.  0 total — 0 done = 0 remaining.  However, 0 remaining / 0 total is not mathematically greater than 0%.  So it is undetermined if you have clinched the county.

TO RECAP:

Method 1
Total county highways = 0
Completed county highways = 0
Percentage clinched = 0 / 0 = 0% = Not clinched

Method 2
Total county highways = 0
Completed county highways = 0
Remaining county highways = 0 — 0 = 0
Percentage yet to be clinched = 0 / 0 = Clinch not defined
Male pronouns, please.

formulanone

Quote from: formulanone on June 26, 2019, 09:01:03 AM
21 in Florida: Monroe, Miami-Dade, Broward, Collier, Lee, Palm Beach, Martin, Indian River, Okeechobee, Highlands, De Soto, Hendry, Hardee, Glades, Brevard, Sumter, Osceola, Alachua, Putnam, St. Johns, Flagler.

9 in Alabama: Madison, Limestone, Lawrence, Morgan, Marshall, Etowah, Cherokee, Cullman, and Blount.

36: I can add six more for Alabama: Calhoun, Colbert, DeKalb, Jackson, Jefferson, and Dallas.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: jayhawkco on August 12, 2020, 01:15:49 AM
Clinched three more yesterday.  New in bold.  Up to 27 of 64 counties and 74% of all the roads in CO.
<sic>

Clinched the rest of NE Colorado the other day (anything north of I-70 and east of I-25), and then finally got CO300 on a mountain climbing trip yesterday, so I added 6 more and am now up to 32 of 64 counties and 80.29% of all highways.

EDIT:  Another trip.  6 more counties.  83.87%

• Adams
  • Arapahoe
  • Boulder
  • Broomfield
  • Chaffee
  • Cheyenne
  • Clear Creek
  • Crowley
  • Denver
  • Douglas
  • Eagle
  • El Paso
  • Elbert
  • Gilpin
  • Grand
  • Hinsdale
  • Jackson
  • Jefferson
  • Kiowa
  • Kit Carson
  • Lake
  • Larimer
  • Lincoln
  • Logan
  • Mineral
  • Moffat
  • Morgan
  • Ouray
  • Park
  • Phillips
  • Rio Blanco
  • Routt
  • San Juan
  • Sedgwick
  • Summit
  • Teller
  • Washington
  • Weld
  • Yuma

Chris

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: cabiness42 on September 03, 2020, 12:12:50 PM
I'm now sitting on 60/92 counties in Indiana, including just over 82% of all signed highway mileage in the state.
There are about 6 counties left where I can do them within an 8-9 hour day trip. There are about 6 others I can pick up on trips down to my office. The others are going to take some multi-day trips specifically for that purpose.

Up to 8 now in Michigan. About 5 more that I can realistically do with day trips.

Haven't done anything in Illinois recently and still on 4. At least 5 more I can do but IN and MI are my priorities right now.

I just returned from my last trip of the year. I finished the year with 67 of 92 Indiana counties fully clinched. It's going to get harder now as it's a minimum of 2½ hours from home to any of the remaining counties. Probably going to start requiring overnight trips.

Still on 8 in Michigan but did get a 5th in Illinois. Next time out I plan to finish off two more in IL.

US 89

Instead of updating previous posts, I'll just list them out here with a few new ones I got in the past several months. Utah has a few unclinchable institutional state routes that I'm not counting for the purposes of this thread:

Bear Lake, ID
Caribou, ID
Franklin, ID
Box Elder, UT
Cache, UT
Davis, UT
Juab, UT
Millard, UT
Piute, UT
Rich, UT
Salt Lake, UT
Sanpete, UT
Sevier, UT
Tooele, UT
Utah, UT
Weber, UT

I'd have some more in Utah, but the state has an annoying habit of ending certain state highways well inside the fee area of state parks. So because of that, in four counties the only thing I'm missing is the fee portion of one route:

Duchesne, UT (SR 311 to Starvation State Park)
Emery, UT (SR 309 to Millsite State Park - sight clinched)
Morgan, UT (SR 306 to East Canyon State Park - sight clinched)
Summit, UT (SR 302 to Rockport State Park)
Wasatch, UT (SR 314 to Deer Creek State Park)

NWI_Irish96

Thankfully for me, Indiana stops signing state highways outside the fee area of state parks and also outside the access point of any access-restricted institutions.

JayhawkCO

Hadn't updated this in a while.  Now up to 50 of the 64 counties in Colorado completely done including all of the counties east of I-25 (woof).  93.48% of all mileage.

New Edit: 3/3/21.  Knocked out a few more on my last clinching trip.  Up to 54 of 64 counties and 94.80% of all roads in Colorado.  New counties bolded.

• Adams
  • Alamosa
  • Arapahoe
  • Baca
  • Bent
  • Boulder
  • Broomfield
  • Chaffee
  • Cheyenne
  • Clear Creek
  • Conejos
  • Costilla
  • Crowley
  • Custer
  • Denver
  • Douglas
  • Eagle
  • El Paso
  • Elbert
  • Fremont
  • Garfield
  • Gilpin
  • Grand
  • Hinsdale
  • Huerfano
  • Jackson
  • Jefferson
  • Kiowa
  • Kit Carson
  • Lake
  • Larimer
  • Las Animas
  • Lincoln
  • Logan
  • Mineral
  • Moffat
  • Morgan
  • Otero
  • Ouray
  • Park
  • Phillips
  • Pitkin
  • Prowers
  • Pueblo
  • Rio Blanco
  • Rio Grande
  • Routt
  • San Juan
  • Sedgwick
  • Summit
  • Teller
  • Washington
  • Weld
  • Yuma

Chris

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.