News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Exit numbers on Future I-49 Corridor.

Started by eXfaktor, April 26, 2010, 06:08:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eXfaktor

:wow: omg it's froggie!

*fan boy bowing*

lamsalfl

Maybe it's just me, but I don't really care that the road is going to sweep southeast and east from Lafayette and still be called 49.  I want the number 49 because it IS a continuous part of the existing I-49... a road that will be like 1,000 miles long when it's all said and done.  Nobody except a few roadgeeks care that the number is odd and it will have an east-west segment.  Is this really a big deal?  No.  It's not like we're building an I-92 to travel between Las Vegas and Phoenix.  

I-49 won't be signed for a minimum of 30 years anyway.  It is written in stone that I-49 will be elevated for *35 MILES* from the present end of the Westbank Expressway to Raceland.  So what this thread is debating is something that literally won't happen until 2040 at the earliest.  Really guys?  Really???

UptownRoadGeek

To be honest, I'll be happy if they can get the damn thing past Westwego. At least take it to the Huey, the 310 would be nice.

froggie

QuoteWell, Froggie, it isn't eactly a new corridor; it's been in the plans of the state for right around 40 years now...and they have to justify building all those interchanges and upgrades to US 90 further south.

It's still a new corridor in the sense that it's incomplete corridor, and a lot of new construction will be required to complete it.

The funding reality still stands...I don't see any increase in Federal funding unless and until the logjam in Congress clears.  So unless the state wants to pony up its own dollars (which, BTW, is how Mississippi completed their segment of Future I-22 light-years before Alabama), we're not going to see construction anytime soon (as lamsalfl notes).

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Anthony_JK on May 17, 2010, 09:51:57 PM
Well, Froggie, it isn't eactly a new corridor; it's been in the plans of the state for right around 40 years now...and they have to justify building all those interchanges and upgrades to US 90 further south. 

I'd give it more than a fighting chance that we will see some funding...probably after the funding for I-49 north of Shreveport (and the proposed Inner City Connector segment through downtown Shreveport) is secured. Especially since the Baton Rouge metro loop appears to be on its last legs, and they've already funded much of the widenings of I-10 and I-12 in the Baton Rouge area.

Anthony

Can we get a volunteer to visit the State Library or Hill Memorial Library (@ LSU) to look up  the EIS for I-49?  Just make you differentiate between the Shreveport to Lafeyette portion and the Lafayette to New Orleans portion (plenty of EIS on record via LSU Library database for both parts)
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Anthony_JK

Until September of  2008, LaDOTD actually had posted online the EIS's and ROD's for all of the relevant segments of I-49 South, including the segment just south of Lafayette to LA 88, the Wax Lake-Berwick segment through Patterson/Bayou Vista and Berwick, and the Raceland-Westbank Expressway segment.  Unfortunately, they disbanded the original I-49 South website, and now only the Raceland-WB EIS/ROD is available online. The ROD and Executive Summary for the  I-49 segment through Lafayette is available online via the I-49 Connector website (http://www.i49connector.com).

I used to keep pdf folders containing all of the studies, but they got nuked when my hard drive crashed on me.

I'm sure that Hill Library @ LSU will have all the relevant studies; but you can also try the Louisiana Room of Dupre Library over at the University of Louisiana @ Lafayette campus.

Also, the State Library of Louisiana near downtown Baton Rouge next to the Capitol Building has a decent selection of plans as well.

Anthony

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Anthony_JK on May 19, 2010, 09:57:03 PM
Until September of  2008, LaDOTD actually had posted online the EIS's and ROD's for all of the relevant segments of I-49 South, including the segment just south of Lafayette to LA 88, the Wax Lake-Berwick segment through Patterson/Bayou Vista and Berwick, and the Raceland-Westbank Expressway segment.  Unfortunately, they disbanded the original I-49 South website, and now only the Raceland-WB EIS/ROD is available online. The ROD and Executive Summary for the  I-49 segment through Lafayette is available online via the I-49 Connector website (http://www.i49connector.com).

I used to keep pdf folders containing all of the studies, but they got nuked when my hard drive crashed on me.

I'm sure that Hill Library @ LSU will have all the relevant studies; but you can also try the Louisiana Room of Dupre Library over at the University of Louisiana @ Lafayette campus.

Also, the State Library of Louisiana near downtown Louisiana next to the Capitol Building has a decent selection of plans as well.

Anthony

Having spent time at both the State Library and LSU, I'd recomend using the State Library.  If one goes to Hill memorial, they have so many restrictions (no paper or pens allowed in the reading room, you have to fill out a request form so they can track down the material) that it becomes a hassle to use, where as the State Library you can locate the material on your own and take notes without being bothered.

Scott5114

Quote from: eXfaktor on May 17, 2010, 11:42:37 PM
:wow: omg it's froggie!

*fan boy bowing*

Holy crap, roadgeeks have fanboys now? Can I get fangirls instead? That'd be pretty awesome. How many posts until I'm eligible for fangirls?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

agentsteel53

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 25, 2010, 01:41:44 PM

Holy crap, roadgeeks have fanboys now? Can I get fangirls instead? That'd be pretty awesome. How many posts until I'm eligible for fangirls?

17 trillion.  At that point, your rank indicator will be "hyperspace wormhole connecting two points instantaneously".
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

eXfaktor

Fangirls are ok, just keep them at arms length. Saying this from experience... it's a lot less fun than it could be

cjk374

Then imagine all of the extra $$$ the state will have to spend changing all of the current exit numbers Lafayette-Shreveport after they finish the southern segment in order to correctly establish milepost zero at New Orleans.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

kaothinterceptor

Quote from: cjk374 on June 14, 2010, 01:00:46 PM
Then imagine all of the extra $$$ the state will have to spend changing all of the current exit numbers Lafayette-Shreveport after they finish the southern segment in order to correctly establish milepost zero at New Orleans.

This brings up a good argument I have with myself.

If we, as roadgeeks can figure out the exact exit numbers for roads like this, then why don't we just change the numbers ourselves if we're in such a hurry to get these Interstates up?

Anthony_JK

Actually, it's not nearly as bad. since they only have to change mileposts and exit tags.

Anthony

cjk374

Quote from: Anthony_JK on March 26, 2011, 03:00:01 AM

Actually, it's not nearly as bad. since they only have to change mileposts and exit tags.

Anthony

I know the numbers are small compared to the construction costs of upgrading US 90 to interstate grade, but think about it:  :hmmm:

1)  you have 206 milemarkers, times 2 (one for each side of the interstate)= 412 signs to replace.  Not cheap.

2)  exit tabs for all of the BGSs at all exits.  You'll also be adding the "old exit xx" signs on top of that as well.

3)  all of the gore signs...with "old exit xx" signs on top of those as well.

4)  now think of all of the above happening to I-49 north of Shreveport should that stretch be finished first...even more sign changes.  $$$$$

It would be cheaper to call the new interstate south of Lafayette I-6.   :sombrero:

kaothinterceptor

Quote from: cjk374 on March 27, 2011, 01:25:11 PM
Quote from: Anthony_JK on March 26, 2011, 03:00:01 AM

Anthony

I know the numbers are small compared to the construction costs of upgrading US 90 to interstate grade, but think about it:  :hmmm:

1)  you have 206 milemarkers, times 2 (one for each side of the interstate)= 412 signs to replace.  Not cheap.

2)  exit tabs for all of the BGSs at all exits.  You'll also be adding the "old exit xx" signs on top of that as well.

3)  all of the gore signs...with "old exit xx" signs on top of those as well.

4)  now think of all of the above happening to I-49 north of Shreveport should that stretch be finished first...even more sign changes.  $$$$$

It would be cheaper to call the new interstate south of Lafayette I-6.   :sombrero:

Correction: An eastern I-8.

Most of us agree on I-6 being in Texas somewhere.

froggie

QuoteMost of us agree on I-6 being in Texas somewhere.

Most of us...?  Do tell, because I don't recall seeing a majority of the posters here commenting on a possible I-6 in Texas.

cjk374

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

I've only ever seen southern 49 proposed as I-6. And I'm not sure that ever made it beyond a few roadgeeks.

kaothinterceptor

NE2

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

froggie

QuoteAlong the border with Mexico.

By whom or what?  And again, where did this "most of us" come from?

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: froggie on March 28, 2011, 04:57:03 PM

By whom or what?  And again, where did this "most of us" come from?

The same folks that want a southern US 3 for Dale Ernhardt

kaothinterceptor

Quote from: froggie on March 28, 2011, 04:57:03 PM

By whom or what?  And again, where did this "most of us" come from?

Watson Bros., Adam. Remember them? It's on their list.

http://www.oocities.org/ultimateinterstatesystem/listofinterstates.html

NE2

Who the hell is Watson Bros.? Perhaps "Watson Bros Gun & Rifle Manufacturers"?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.