News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

2022 Rand McNally Road Atlas

Started by bob7374, April 25, 2021, 06:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob7374

The 2022 edition of the Rand McNally Atlas was released on April 19. I picked up the standard edition at Barnes and Noble on Friday. I had to go to one in the next town since my local store didn't have it (FYI: order and pickup was not available, you either have to order it online or get it at the store). I will note a few of the highlights from New England, New York and North Carolina. If there are questions about changes to other states, feel free to ask them and I'll follow up.

Massachusetts: The exits have all been renumbered to the new, or soon to be new numbers.
Rhode Island: The I-95 exit numbers were not changed, which may mean it will be a while until RIDOT starts the conversion process.
Connecticut: The exit numbers for CT 9 have not been changed (no numbers at all listed for CT 72).
Vermont: The new 'Milepoint' exit numbers placed last year under the sequential exit gore signs are now being used on the state and inset maps.
New York: The exit numbers for the Hutchinson River Parkway remain unchanged.
North Carolina: I-885 has not been added to the Raleigh-Durham inset map (the East End Connector was shown as completed last year), the newly opened sections on the Greensboro Loop and Winston-Salem Beltway are still shown as under construction, US 74 has replaced I-74 along the Rockingham Bypass, the future I-73/I-74 Rockingham Bypass is now shown as under construction, the extension of the NC 540 toll road around Raleigh is not shown as under construction.

bandit957

Rand McNally Road Atlas has a lot more city insets than it used to, even when adjusted for cities' population. Their atlases from the 1960s that I've seen didn't even have Charleston WV, even though it was a pretty big city. I think they had some insets for some cities in Idaho and Montana that were pretty small, but not for most states.

I guess they started adding more cities because technology made it easier to make maps and because urban areas aren't as compact as they used to be. Just before Interstates were built, it may have been pretty easy to find U.S. routes if you were traveling through a city, depending on the signage.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

iowahighways

I bought the 2022 edition at B&N last night. The biggest change in Iowa that I noticed was that county roads statewide are now marked on the map. Otherwise, it does note the opening of the US 30 Mount Vernon/Lisbon bypass and US 52 Southwest Arterial in Dubuque (and 52's subsequent reroute onto US 20 and IA 136), all of which happened in the past year and a half.

New four-lane segments of US 30 east of Tama and US 61 north of Burlington are supposed to open this year, but they are not in this edition.
The Iowa Highways Page: Now exclusively at www.iowahighways.org
The Iowa Highways Photo Gallery: www.flickr.com/photos/iowahighways/

hobsini2

I got mine yesterday. I have not had a chance to go through it yet.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

I-55

This was the first time I didn't notice any new city insets compared to a previous atlas year.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

hobsini2

Now I have a chance to talk about the changes I have noticed at first glance in the 2022 Road Atlas.  I will do the Intro through the Cs.
National Parks section is doing the parks but decade and showing when the years when each park was established as a National Park. Pretty cool info.

Arizona
Phoenix inset
1. Northern Pkwy is shown as a completed freeway.

Arkansas
1. Showing the Camden Bypass as a freeway.
2. US 412 Bypass of Paragould is extended west to US 412.
Jonesboro inset
1. Added Friendly Hope Rd and Ridgepoint Dr.
Pine Bluff inset
1. Bus US 63 is now Ark 463.
Ft Smith inset
1. Added Exit 330 with Exit 1 on I-40 for Dora.

California
1. Cal 58 is a completed multilane divided highway between Mojave and Barstow with a freeway section extended about 10 miles.

Next part will be D thru I sometime this week.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

oscar

I waited for the Wal-Mart edition of the 2022 Rand McN to come out. I found one a few days ago in Couer d'Alene ID, and another yesterday in Bismarck ND. As seems typical, at the Couer d'Alene Wal-Mart its one copy of the 2022 atlas was buried among unsold 2021 atlases. In Bismarck, not only was the 2022 edition hidden behind some 2021s, but it wasn't yet in the store's inventory system, and it took some manual intervention by the attendant at the self-checkouts to get the system to let me buy it.

I'm not going to review the 2022 atlas until I'm back home, unless I need to use it to navigate my way home, or find a Wal-Mart along the way. The main reason for looking for a 2022 atlas was my car copy of the 2021 was horribly beat-up, and it went into a recycle bin once I had a 2022 in hand.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

bandit957

Quote from: oscar on June 27, 2021, 08:16:09 AM
The main reason for looking for a 2022 atlas was my car copy of the 2021 was horribly beat-up, and it went into a recycle bin once I had a 2022 in hand.

The Rand McNally curse strikes again! Their road atlases fall apart faster than new roads can be built!
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

hbelkins

I have yet to see the 2022 atlas at a Walmart. In fact, it's rare for me to see a 2021. Lots of places are still selling the 2020 edition.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

My dad just bought me the national parks edition for my birthday.  It's a normal RMN road atlas, spiral-bound, except the whole first section is a two-page info spread on each national park with map included.  Some are even more than two pages.  131 pages of national park info.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Henry

Quote from: bandit957 on June 27, 2021, 09:05:32 AM
The main reason for looking for a 2022 atlas was my car copy of the 2021 was horribly beat-up, and it went into a recycle bin once I had a 2022 in hand.

The Rand McNally curse strikes again! Their road atlases fall apart faster than new roads can be built!
Which is why I buy a new one every few years. I just tape up the old ones and use them to draw my fictional roads on, plus any actual ones that may have been added since they were originally released.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

oscar

No, that reflects how much abuse the car copy of my RMcN gets. The home copies of my 2021 and earlier RMcNs are still intact.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

hbelkins

Quote from: hbelkins on June 27, 2021, 09:22:33 PM
I have yet to see the 2022 atlas at a Walmart. In fact, it's rare for me to see a 2021. Lots of places are still selling the 2020 edition.

I checked my local (to where I work) Walmart last week. They no longer have the atlases in the auto section. They're in the books section. They had a good collection of 2020 and 2021 atlases still on the shelf, but no 2022 yet.

SkyPesos

Quote from: Henry on July 14, 2021, 10:36:00 AM

Which is why I buy a new one every few years. I just tape up the old ones and use them to draw my fictional roads on, plus any actual ones that may have been added since they were originally released.
Speaking of drawing fictional roads in a RandMcnally, I found this in my old 2015 copy:

kphoger

Quote from: oscar on July 14, 2021, 11:07:59 AM

No, that reflects how much abuse the car copy of my RMcN gets. The home copies of my 2021 and earlier RMcNs are still intact.

If I'm taking a road atlas along in the car, then I usually put it in the seat-back pocket.  So, half the times anyone in the seat behind it gets in or out of the car, he bumps the atlas.  The cover then ends up being torn in short order.  My usual edition is spiral-bound, so it tends to tear down along the perforation.

Quote from: SkyPesos on July 14, 2021, 11:18:25 AM
Speaking of drawing fictional roads in a RandMcnally, I found this in my old 2015 copy:

I can't remember:  what's the geometry term for that?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on July 14, 2021, 11:20:57 AM

I believe it's a line.

Chris

hobsini2

In the words of Chicago Cubs All Star Carlos Zambrano, "Oh Godt!"

Henry

Quote from: jayhawkco on July 14, 2021, 11:45:21 AM

I believe it's a line.

Chris
Hypotenuse, dammit! I should know because I read about it somewhere on the forum.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

hbelkins

Cue Pink Floyd's "In The Flesh." ("Who let all this riff-raff into the room?")

Dzlsabe has been reincarnated!  :-D :-D

renegade

Quote from: Henry on July 14, 2021, 01:22:56 PM

I believe it's a line.

Chris
Hypotenuse, dammit! I should know because I read about it somewhere on the forum.
This wasn't on my bingo card for today.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

hobsini2

Quote from: renegade on July 14, 2021, 04:25:56 PM
Quote from: Henry on July 14, 2021, 01:22:56 PM

I believe it's a line.

Chris
This wasn't on my bingo card for today.
http://gph.is/1prfygP

Road Hog

It's the hypotenuse of a right angle for all intents and purposes, but one I totally like – in a fictional vacuum. Great access to Midway.

In reality it would be hideously expensive to build. Fifty years ago, not so much.

CNGL-Leudimin

Wow, so you had the Hypotenuse idea independently of that troll? Now that is something. I only can assume it was an independent thing, since the troll was here before you registered.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Bickendan

Heh.
Looking at that, it's clear why there's less than 0% chance it'd even get considered for construction.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.