National Boards > General Highway Talk

2022 Rand McNally Road Atlas

(1/8) > >>

bob7374:
The 2022 edition of the Rand McNally Atlas was released on April 19. I picked up the standard edition at Barnes and Noble on Friday. I had to go to one in the next town since my local store didn't have it (FYI: order and pickup was not available, you either have to order it online or get it at the store). I will note a few of the highlights from New England, New York and North Carolina. If there are questions about changes to other states, feel free to ask them and I'll follow up.

Massachusetts: The exits have all been renumbered to the new, or soon to be new numbers.
Rhode Island: The I-95 exit numbers were not changed, which may mean it will be a while until RIDOT starts the conversion process.
Connecticut: The exit numbers for CT 9 have not been changed (no numbers at all listed for CT 72).
Vermont: The new 'Milepoint' exit numbers placed last year under the sequential exit gore signs are now being used on the state and inset maps.
New York: The exit numbers for the Hutchinson River Parkway remain unchanged.
North Carolina: I-885 has not been added to the Raleigh-Durham inset map (the East End Connector was shown as completed last year), the newly opened sections on the Greensboro Loop and Winston-Salem Beltway are still shown as under construction, US 74 has replaced I-74 along the Rockingham Bypass, the future I-73/I-74 Rockingham Bypass is now shown as under construction, the extension of the NC 540 toll road around Raleigh is not shown as under construction.

bandit957:
Rand McNally Road Atlas has a lot more city insets than it used to, even when adjusted for cities' population. Their atlases from the 1960s that I've seen didn't even have Charleston WV, even though it was a pretty big city. I think they had some insets for some cities in Idaho and Montana that were pretty small, but not for most states.

I guess they started adding more cities because technology made it easier to make maps and because urban areas aren't as compact as they used to be. Just before Interstates were built, it may have been pretty easy to find U.S. routes if you were traveling through a city, depending on the signage.

iowahighways:
I bought the 2022 edition at B&N last night. The biggest change in Iowa that I noticed was that county roads statewide are now marked on the map. Otherwise, it does note the opening of the US 30 Mount Vernon/Lisbon bypass and US 52 Southwest Arterial in Dubuque (and 52ís subsequent reroute onto US 20 and IA 136), all of which happened in the past year and a half.

New four-lane segments of US 30 east of Tama and US 61 north of Burlington are supposed to open this year, but they are not in this edition.

hobsini2:
I got mine yesterday. I have not had a chance to go through it yet.

I-55:
This was the first time I didn't notice any new city insets compared to a previous atlas year.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version