News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Google Maps travel time issues

Started by NWI_Irish96, September 13, 2022, 02:54:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWI_Irish96

I don't remember the exact date, but sometime around a couple weeks ago, I noticed that Google maps increased the estimated travel time for trips I'd mapped out, for both single and multi destination trips.

After comparing several different trips, it appears that their algorithm calculates a maximum average speed of 60 mph, even when traveling on a route with a higher speed limit during times where traffic would not restrict you from doing so.

This issue isn't unique to the app on my phone, or even my Google account, as I'm getting the same results using Google Maps on a web browser while not logged into my Google account.

Anybody else notice this issue, and is there a way to fix it?
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

kphoger

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on September 13, 2022, 02:54:57 PM
I don't remember the exact date, but sometime around a couple weeks ago, I noticed that Google maps increased the estimated travel time for trips I'd mapped out, for both single and multi destination trips.

After comparing several different trips, it appears that their algorithm calculates a maximum average speed of 60 mph, even when traveling on a route with a higher speed limit during times where traffic would not restrict you from doing so.

This issue isn't unique to the app on my phone, or even my Google account, as I'm getting the same results using Google Maps on a web browser while not logged into my Google account.

I just plotted a 156-mile route on the Kansas Turnpike, speed limit 75 mph, and the math works out to a Google speed of 72.5 mph.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: kphoger on September 13, 2022, 03:00:56 PM

I just plotted a 156-mile route on the Kansas Turnpike, speed limit 75 mph, and the math works out to a Google speed of 72.5 mph.

I just plotted the same route on both Google Maps and Waze. Google game me a 4h 32m drive time and Waze gave me 4h 9m, which is much closer to what it actually takes me to do the trip.

kphoger

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on September 13, 2022, 03:12:41 PM

I just plotted the same route on both Google Maps and Waze. Google game me a 4h 32m drive time and Waze gave me 4h 9m, which is much closer to what it actually takes me to do the trip.

:hmmm:

272 miles @ 60.0 mph = 4h 32m
272 miles @ 65.5 mph = 4h 9m
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: kphoger on September 13, 2022, 03:29:19 PM
Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on September 13, 2022, 03:12:41 PM

:hmmm:

272 miles @ 60.0 mph = 4h 32m
272 miles @ 65.5 mph = 4h 9m

Most of the route is 70 mph speed limit with a few sections at 55, but it averages out to well over 60 for the entire trip.

Also, I make the exact same trip frequently and Google maps used to show me times in the 4h 10m to 4h 20m range, depending on traffic. Only the last couple trips did it start showing times > 4h 30m, though nothing has changed with the route or usual traffic patterns.

Other trips that I'd mapped out previously are now showing longer times as well.

GaryV

I just tried a course to Mackinaw City - up I-75 most of the way - 275 miles, 3h 48m - about 72 mph. Not bad, considering it would probably be slower than normal traffic for the first 20-30 miles if I left now.

kphoger

In the case of my KTA example, Google estimates have always been around that same average speed.
Male pronouns, please.

Dirt Roads

I don't use Google Maps anymore, but I recall that their travel time algorithm tended to reflect current travel conditions (including midday construction delays).  Seems like you would get a slower time if you checked the map during rush hour.  Perhaps someone else can verify this (ergo, check travel times during rush hour and check again outside of rush hour).

SSOWorld

I have found Google Maps to be fairly accurate, but consider that my time on the road is also impacted by other factors - like how many times I stop.  It's not perfect, but it works.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

cjw2001

Google Maps definitely adjusts for current traffic so you may get different results both in elapsed time and routing depending on when you ask.   If you aren't leaving immediately, then there are options to adjust for the day and time of departure or desired arrival day and time so that it use estimated traffic at those times instead of the current traffic.

webny99

I haven't noticed any recent changes to travel times. I've found on trips when I'm using Google Maps for travel times/directions, I can usually make up anywhere from 5%-15%, depending on other variables such as traffic, luck with stoplights (making a string of green lights usually shaves off a minute or two), etc. I can usually make up time pretty consistently on freeway travel, and lightly-traveled two lane roads also have high upside for picking up time.

Example: several of my clinching trips have taken me down I-490 west to Exit 2 (NY 33/33A). Google's current projected time to that exit is 37 minutes, but outside of rush hour I can do it in 31-32 minutes (which has tended to include speeding a little more than usual west of Gates to get past my personal "flyover" territory, but that's often offset by the construction zone(s) near Churchville).

skluth

I use Waze when travelling (and I need to get to my destination the fastest way possible) which seems to reasonably estimate arrival times as others have noted. I feel it also better adjusts for accidents and other delays en route, a useful feature when driving So Cal freeways. Usually though I prefer to take my time and explore most of the time, but that's a recent development based on my retirement.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.