National Boards > General Highway Talk

Your favorite/least favorite state highway maps?

(1/3) > >>

CapeCodder:
My favorite for a while was Illinois. The cartography was easy on the eyes. My least favorite was/is Massachusetts.

dvferyance:
California is by far my least favorite. Utah is pretty bad too. As far as favorite goes I like Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Jersey, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Virginia and Wisconsin. Hard to pick my favorite.

Dirt Roads:

--- Quote from: dvferyance on July 14, 2022, 08:03:08 PM ---California is by far my least favorite. Utah is pretty bad too. As far as favorite goes I like Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Jersey, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Virginia and Wisconsin. Hard to pick my favorite.

--- End quote ---

I've always liked Virginia's, but I recently picked up a new one and am having difficulty distinguishing between freeways and scenic multi-lane divided roads.  I think that my copy had some sort of problem with ink selection.  But the freeways have changed from dark red to a brownish maroon, which appears to be the same color as the dark green outlines on the dark red multi-lane.  If I put on ultra-strong reading glasses, the black dividing stripes in the dark maroon start to show up.  I should be excited, since Chicago maroon is the official color of Virginia Tech (which hasn't really been used much since my freshman year, long gone along with the name VPI).

paulthemapguy:
There were these AAA atlases my parents got in the early 2000s that were the worst I had ever seen.  While the route symbols were only a little on the small side, the numbers inside the route symbols were insanely tiny and hard to read.  The space inside the symbols was used very poorly.  All the numerals and text were so tiny and hard to read, for what reason? The scales used on the maps were similar to the analogous Rand McNally atlases for all the states, but the text was at least large enough to be legible in the Rand McNally one!

VetteDriver16:

--- Quote from: Dirt Roads on July 15, 2022, 09:19:41 AM ---
--- Quote from: dvferyance on July 14, 2022, 08:03:08 PM ---California is by far my least favorite. Utah is pretty bad too. As far as favorite goes I like Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Jersey, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Virginia and Wisconsin. Hard to pick my favorite.

--- End quote ---

I've always liked Virginia's, but I recently picked up a new one and am having difficulty distinguishing between freeways and scenic multi-lane divided roads.  I think that my copy had some sort of problem with ink selection.  But the freeways have changed from dark red to a brownish maroon, which appears to be the same color as the dark green outlines on the dark red multi-lane.  If I put on ultra-strong reading glasses, the black dividing stripes in the dark maroon start to show up.  I should be excited, since Chicago maroon is the official color of Virginia Tech (which hasn't really been used much since my freshman year, long gone along with the name VPI).

--- End quote ---

I've found Virginia's map confusing for the same reasons as yours.  Michigan's map is pretty simple and straightforward. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version