News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

I-85 N.C.; Yadkin River Bridge Replacement

Started by Grzrd, August 24, 2010, 11:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grzrd

I had missed this.  In case anyone else had as well (looks like TIGER helped to accelerate the project) ....  I have driven over that bridge for more years than I care to remember ...

http://salisbury.wbtv.com/content/feds-approve-grant-i-85yadkin-river-crossing-project

Feds approve grant for I-85/Yadkin River Crossing project
Submitted by WBTVWebStaff on Tuesday, July 6th, 2:44 pm

The U.S. Department of Transportation announced Tuesday it has reached an agreement with the North Carolina Department of Transportation.  The $10 million project will be financed through Recovery Act funds.
The grant is from the U.S. Department of Transportation TIGER (Transportation Investment Generating Economic Recovery) program.
The TIGER grant will be used to widen 3.3 miles of I-85 and replace the narrow and deteriorating I-85 and US 29/70 bridges over the Yadkin River connecting Rowan and Davidson counties.

Also, in a closely related project ...

http://www.istockanalyst.com/article/viewiStockNews/articleid/4404334

EDITORIAL: I-85 widening near river important, too
Friday, August 13, 2010 4:05 AM

Aug. 13--There was more good news out of the N.C. Department of Transportation last week. DOT began advertising the contract for work along Interstate 85 in southern Davidson County accompanying the replacement of the 55-year-old Yadkin River bridge, for which construction is scheduled to begin this fall.

DOT plans call for work on 3.6 miles of the interstate and reconstructing interchanges at an expected cost of up to $130 million. Phase 2 includes constructing and widening I-85 from north of N.C. 150 to just north of I-85 Business Loop and reconstruction of the Belmont Road interchange. This work is important for improving that section of I-85 ....

OracleUsr

That project has been much delayed and much needed.  I, too, have driven over both the I-85 and US 29/70-NC 150 bridges many a time (I'm a Clemson grad, and my parents lived in Greensboro when I was at college) and am amazed more accidents haven't happened there.

Not the least of which is getting from NC 150 onto I-85 from the right side and then almost immediately having to take a left exit to stay on NC 150.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

Grzrd

Great and relevant post over on GHT - ("... DOT Websites ...") thread copied and pasted:

Re: Features That Should Be Common To State DOT Websites
« Reply #28 on: Today at 02:21:11 PM »  
"I'm always impressed with the depth of information provided, such as this which includes a great slideshow of the Yadkin River Bridge replacement project, now underway. If you've ever crossed this narrow bridge, you know how scary it is....
http://www.ncdot.gov/projects/i85corridor/"

I agree.  It is a great slideshow.

Buummu

About time! The current bridge is already in a very bad shape.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.