News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

NPR special series: "I-95: The Road Most Travelled"

Started by ttownfeen, August 28, 2010, 02:23:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ttownfeen

I thought you guys might be interested in listening/reading this special series from NPR News about Interstate 95.  It runs through Labor Day.

QuoteInterstate 95 may be one of the least romantic roads ever built. But what it lacks in beauty, it makes up for in utility. How has this asphalt Amazon transformed the economy of the Eastern Seaboard?

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=129278775

ShawnP

I salute Florida and Georgia for doing the heavy lifting and upgrading their portions thru the years. A big Bronx cheer to South and North Carolina for ignoring their portions and never reinvesting their gas money recieved from I-95 travelers back into the road. I know about the ten mile portion around Florence, South Carolina but nothing else as I-95 is still in it's original 60's and 70's shape elsewhere in North Carolina and South Carolina.

Grzrd

Quote from: ttownfeen on August 28, 2010, 02:23:08 PM
I thought you guys might be interested in listening/reading this special series from NPR News about Interstate 95.  It runs through Labor Day.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=129278775

Thanks for great initial post!  I look forward to hearing/reading this series.

Quote from: ShawnP on August 28, 2010, 04:07:15 PM
I salute Florida and Georgia for doing the heavy lifting and upgrading their portions thru the years.

I have not driven GA I-95 since March. At that time it looked like widening project from Brunswick/Exit 38 northward for several miles was close to being finished.  North of there, in McIntosh County, it looked like it would take longer.  Same for Exit 38 southward.  Any updates?

ShawnP

I have heard that all funding had been recieved and actual construction was well along enough to be done by some time in 2011.

architect77

North Carolina will keeping neglecting I-95 unless out-of-state motorists are willing to foot the entire $6 billion needed for improvements, since they are the primary users.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.