News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Wrecks along I-65 Cullman County, AL

Started by codyg1985, November 08, 2010, 08:40:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

codyg1985

It seems like it's every other week or so that there's a wreck on I-65 in Cullman County, just north of where the six lane section ends north of Birmingham. This time, it was a truck carrying Christmas trees that overturned, causing a backup in the northbound lanes. It seems like the stretch from MM 287 to MM 304 south of Cullman is the most notorious for wrecks. Right now, there are cable barriers in the median, but I don't know what else it is about this section of interstate that makes it so notorious for wrecks.

There are plans to widen I-65 south of Cullman to six lanes in the future. I wonder if there are also alignment issues that need to be addressed as well?
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

wriddle082

You know, I've experienced this as well.  One time about four years ago, Seth Dunn and I were taking a tour of Corridor X and we came back up AL 69 from Jasper to hit 65 north and head back home.  Once we reached 65, the northbound lanes were at a standstill.  I made a quick decision to not get on the freeway and managed to make my way over to US 31 by continuing straight down the county road, cruised through Downtown Cullman, and took AL 157 back to 65, where northbound traffic was flowing well.

Going back even further about 8 or 9 years ago, I remember traveling south on 65 in Cullman County heading to FL and seeing a wreck in the northbound lanes that had traffic backed up for quite a ways.  Then on the return trip from FL, I remember travelling this stretch of roadway while it was either wet or actively raining, and it did seem a little treacherous.

Now one thing I give ALDOT credit for is how well they crown their pavement so water flows away from the center of the road towards the shoulders.  Perhaps this stretch hasn't been properly crowned, or perhaps this crowning has screwed up the banking that needs to occur when going around curves so one can maintain interstate speeds.

codyg1985

It could very well be a crowning issue. That stretch was resurfaced a few years ago though, so if there were any crown issues, that should have been taken care of with the resurfacing project.

Here in Huntsville Us 72 at the east side of Chapman Mountain is notorious for wrecks in rainy weather. It turns out that the road did not have the proper superelevation going into the curve at the base of the mountain, so ALDOT had the road resurfaced and the superelevation restored. Open-graded friction course pavement was also used for the wearing surface (as is the case on I-65). The number of wrecks has decreased, but there are still wrecks along that road east of Huntsville.
Cody Goodman

Bryant5493

Slightly off-topic: Is there alot of roadgeeking opportunity in the Florence-Muscle Shoals area?

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

wriddle082

Quote from: Bryant5493 on November 24, 2010, 03:19:54 PM
Slightly off-topic: Is there alot of roadgeeking opportunity in the Florence-Muscle Shoals area?

Be well,

Bryant

There are three bridges across the Tennessee River (unless the Wilson Dam crossing is closed, that one is a little scary).  Several years ago, there used to be botts dots on the US 43/72 bridge and for a mile or so south of the bridge (botts dots are rare in the southeast).

Other than that, there really isn't much else notable.  Not even so much as an interchange, just stoplight city, kinda like Dothan.

codyg1985

Quote from: wriddle082 on November 24, 2010, 05:37:51 PM
Quote from: Bryant5493 on November 24, 2010, 03:19:54 PM

Be well,

Bryant

There are three bridges across the Tennessee River (unless the Wilson Dam crossing is closed, that one is a little scary).  Several years ago, there used to be botts dots on the US 43/72 bridge and for a mile or so south of the bridge (botts dots are rare in the southeast).

Other than that, there really isn't much else notable.  Not even so much as an interchange, just stoplight city, kinda like Dothan.

I can't remember if it's closed permanently or not, but I think Wilson Dam is closed to motorists in the winter due to potential ice buildup. It isn't too scary for me, except for the sharp curves at the south end of the dam.

There is actually an interchange now in Florence. The extention of the Patton Island Bridge Corridor takes AL 133 over US 43/72 and into Helton Drive (AL 17/157). There's also an interchange on US 72 west of Sheffleid close to the town of Cherokee that was recently built to access an industrial park. Other than that, yep, it's a stoplight city.

I am not sure if the botts dots are still on the south end of the O'Neal Bridge (US 43/72) or not. 
Cody Goodman

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.