Regional Boards > Great Lakes and Ohio Valley

Michigan Notes

<< < (193/213) > >>

Flint1979:
Other than extreme rural areas every Interstate in Michigan could use an extra lane in each direction.

afguy:
Here's a rendering the "braid" design that MDOT is constructing to take EB and WB I-696 traffic to NB I-75 as part of the I-75 Modernization Project in Oakland County. Work on the I-75/I-696 interchange is supposed to wrap up in November.

afguy:
The Grand Traverse County Road Commission is planning to build a $100 million bridge that would cross the Boardman River. If built, it would be the third longest bridge in Michigan.
$100 million bridge planned for Traverse City would be third longest in state

--- Quote ---The Grand Traverse County Road Commission has been working for decades to build a new crossing over the Boardman River, the report said. The board recently voted to accept Hartman-Hammond as the preferred location.

If everything goes smoothly, it will be another six years before vehicles are driving over the river at that spot, the report said. Environmental review, property acquisition, design/engineering will all come before an estimated two-year construction process. Federal, state and local funding will also need to come through.
--- End quote ---
https://www.mlive.com/news/2022/08/100-million-bridge-planned-for-traverse-city-would-be-third-longest-in-state.html

JREwing78:

--- Quote from: afguy on August 09, 2022, 07:01:23 PM ---The Grand Traverse County Road Commission is planning to build a $100 million bridge that would cross the Boardman River. If built, it would be the third longest bridge in Michigan.

--- End quote ---

That mainly goes to show how rare long bridges are in Michigan. We can argue whether this would truly stand as the 3rd longest bridge in Michigan - I-196 over the Grand River and US-131 clocks in at 2800', for instance. Still, 2000' isn't anything to sneeze at.

If anywhere in northern Michigan justifies such an investment, it would be Traverse City. I just wonder what $100 million could accomplish in terms of improving traffic if it wasn't sunk into a new bridge.

triplemultiplex:
Boy, it sure doesn't look like a hundred million dollar bridge.
A two-lane span over a small river and its floodplain costs that much? Ouch.  (or is that four-lane undivided?  hard to tell from image.  Either way, ouch.)

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=44.71527,-445.61946&z=14&t=M

There's a bridge a mile north and a bridge a mile south over this river.  I guess it'll be one leg of a rather half-ass bypass route around Traverse City.  I dunno; seems like a huge cost for a mostly redundant crossing in a place that will never build what's actually needed to get people around.

Seems the authors got fact-checked out of their "third longest bridge" claim.  They pointed to M-231 over the Grand River.
To me, I think they've got more than 2,000 feet of the 3 (soon to be 4) international bridges in their state so that further dilutes the claim.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version