News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Vintage San Francisco maps (1938, 1953)

Started by TheStranger, September 05, 2010, 02:41:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheStranger

Differences in each one:

1938:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/octoferret/1221566788/sizes/o/

- This was created during the short period that the El Camino/Mission/San Jose/Alemany route was Alternate US 101, and the Bayshore Highway/Boulevard route was US 101.  From about 1938-1964, Bypass 101 ran from Alemany Boulevard to San Jose via Bayshore Highway, and the 101 mainline remained on El Camino.

- According to this, Route 1 did NOT continue straight into the Presidio at this time (as the tunnel through that area was yet to be built), but instead went into the urban core at the Civic Center complex, via Fulton Street and a concurrency along today's 101 surface street routing!  I have never seen this before, but I hadn't seen any late-1930s SF maps before really.

- With the Bay Bridge having just been constructed, 40/50 use the Bryant/Harrison one-way pair, instead of the ferry-era Market Street routing.

1953:
http://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/servlet/detail/RUMSEY~8~1~25833~1020096?id=1 :pan:
- Alemany Maze not in existence yet, the semi-traffic circle level that interchanges with 101 was the only interchange there at the time

- Bayshore (James Lick) Freeway complete to Army Street and Silver Avenue to the south; Bayshore Freeway north of Army Street, the Central Freeway segment that carries present-day 101 (Mission/Van Ness to the 80/101 junction), and the Skyway (then 40/50, now 80) all under construction.
Chris Sampang

Bickendan

TheStranger

Quote from: Bickendan on September 05, 2010, 03:47:42 AM
10 to 1 says the red lines are NHS...

:-D

I find it interesting that Market between Portola and Van Ness is marked with the red line, but NOT the segment that once carried US 40 and 50 for a few years!
Chris Sampang

Bickendan

I have somewhere in my collection old Thomas Guide maps of SF and of Reno (before I-80!). I'll have to see what I can dig up...

roadfro

The Reno one could be interesting, depending on the era. I'm curious to see what highways are labeled on there that old NDOH/NDOT maps don't show...
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Bickendan

Highway 1, 33, 33A, 33B, 63, 67, US 40 and 395.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.