News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Control City for I-15 North in Las Vegas

Started by Interstate Trav, July 31, 2011, 10:36:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Interstate Trav

I was wondering, was North Las Vegas ever signed on any overhead signs for I-15 in Las Vegas, as a control point or was Salt Lake City the only City posted.  I'm not really reffering to onramps, but the signs at the 15/515/93/95 jct.   

roadfro

I distinctly remember an old pull-through sign on NB I-15 at the interchange. It had both North Las Vegas and Salt Lake City listed under the I-15 and US 93 shields. I'm vaguely remembering US 95 southbound possibly having both cities listed as destination legend on the exit direction sign. US 95 northbound might have used it as well. I can't picture either of those old signs nearly as vividly as I can recall the pull-through sign on I-15 north, so I'm not sure on either of those. However, I am fairly certain signs at the Spaghetti Bowl would be the only locations that North Las Vegas would've appeared as a control city, as most other signs that I can recall always used "Salt Lake City" or "Salt Lake".

The pull-through sign was replaced by 2000 with the current one that only uses Salt Lake City as a control city. I believe the sign bridge it was posted on was replaced during the Spaghetti Bowl reconstruction that went on from 1999-2000 due to ramp reconfiguration. The sign(s) with North Las Vegas on it may have even disappeared before then.

Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Interstate Trav

Quote from: roadfro on August 01, 2011, 04:37:13 AM
I distinctly remember an old pull-through sign on NB I-15 at the interchange. It had both North Las Vegas and Salt Lake City listed under the I-15 and US 93 shields. I'm vaguely remembering US 95 southbound possibly having both cities listed as destination legend on the exit direction sign. US 95 northbound might have used it as well. I can't picture either of those old signs nearly as vividly as I can recall the pull-through sign on I-15 north, so I'm not sure on either of those. However, I am fairly certain signs at the Spaghetti Bowl would be the only locations that North Las Vegas would've appeared as a control city, as most other signs that I can recall always used "Salt Lake City" or "Salt Lake".

The pull-through sign was replaced by 2000 with the current one that only uses Salt Lake City as a control city. I believe the sign bridge it was posted on was replaced during the Spaghetti Bowl reconstruction that went on from 1999-2000 due to ramp reconfiguration. The sign(s) with North Las Vegas on it may have even disappeared before then.

I remember a sign from US 95 South, might still be in exitende where the only control point was "Downtown LV".  I just think it is kinda strange to loose North Las Vegas as a control point in Downtown Las Vegas.  especially when the next main city is 400 miles away. 

that would be the only spot since the only other over head signs for I-15 north before that are at the I215 and it just says "Las Vegas Blvd 'the strip' Next 5 exits" and in Barstow at old hwy 58 Las Vegas is the control point.

roadfro

Quote from: Interstate Trav on August 01, 2011, 06:34:47 PM
I remember a sign from US 95 South, might still be in exitende where the only control point was "Downtown LV".  I just think it is kinda strange to loose North Las Vegas as a control point in Downtown Las Vegas.  especially when the next main city is 400 miles away. 

that would be the only spot since the only other over head signs for I-15 north before that are at the I215 and it just says "Las Vegas Blvd 'the strip' Next 5 exits" and in Barstow at old hwy 58 Las Vegas is the control point.

That "Downtown LV" sign on US 95 south is the only one. After that point, the only pull through sign on that mainline is right near downtown, and it's control city is "Phoenix" (an older version used "Phoenix" and "Needles")

NDOT seems to have adopted a policy of signing only one destination on newer signs, and making that the major distant control city.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.