News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Champlain Bridge (NY) 1929 - 2009 (legislatively)

Started by Roadgeek Adam, November 09, 2009, 03:43:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeek Adam

http://blog.timesunion.com/capitol/archives/19857/upstate-champlain-bridge-cant-be-fixed-will-be-rebuilt/

It's official. The New York State Department of Transportation and Vermont Transportation Authority say the bridge is beyond repair and will be demolished rather than rehabilitated. They will have to build a new structure for the safety of motorists and boaters.

Fans of the bridge mourn this moment :(
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Duke87

QuoteAn underwater inspection of the bridge's concrete piers and underlying foundations found cracks and significant deterioration in the unreinforced concrete substructures well below the water level that render these supports so fragile that a sudden collapse could occur.

Yikes! No wonder they closed it!
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Snappyjack

Yeah, it was really bad. I'm surprised the thing didn't collapse already. But that's what lack of maintenance gets you.

Dougtone

I've driven over that bridge quite a few times and it sure did look like it was deteriorating.  But until these recent developments came about, I didn't know how bad of shape the bridge was in.  A news article at http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=863160 states that the concrete rot on the piers as seen from when divers made an underwater inspection was much more than expected.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.