News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-49 in Arkansas

Started by Grzrd, August 20, 2010, 01:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grzrd

Quote from: bugo on June 02, 2015, 08:37:15 AM
Rumor is that the next section of I-49 between Greenwood and Texarkana will be a bypass of Mena. Has this been confirmed? There would be exits at AR 8 and 88, CR 70, and some sort of interchange where it meets US 71 southwest of Mena. How are the CR 70 and the southwestern interchange going to be configured?
(above quote from I-49 Mena bypass thread)
Quote from: Grzrd on July 16, 2015, 11:54:48 AM
DeQueen to I-40 Final Environmental Impact Statement ("FEIS")

The FEIS indicates that CR 70 would be relocated (in this segment, Line 3 is the selected alignment) (p. 97/327 of pdf; p. 2-56 of document):

Looking at the map, it appears that there would would be a slight relocation of CR 70 to the north (p. 86/327 of pdf; Exh. 2-4 of document):

It looks like the southwestern interchange will involve the construction of a US 71 connector (p. 85/327 of pdf: Exh. 2-4 of document):

Although comments quoted in this post from forum member AHTD and I-49 International Coalition President Curt Green strongly hint that Mena is next in line, I have not seen a confirmation from department AHTD.

edit

I just noticed that this November 13, 2014 article reinforces Curt Green's comments about Mena's support for I-49:

The city of Mena has contributed more money per person than any other city in Arkansas to the I-49 coalition.

US71

Quote from: Grzrd on July 26, 2015, 08:32:32 PM
Quote from: bugo on June 02, 2015, 08:37:15 AM
Rumor is that the next section of I-49 between Greenwood and Texarkana will be a bypass of Mena. Has this been confirmed? There would be exits at AR 8 and 88, CR 70, and some sort of interchange where it meets US 71 southwest of Mena. How are the CR 70 and the southwestern interchange going to be configured?
(above quote from I-49 Mena bypass thread)
Quote from: Grzrd on July 16, 2015, 11:54:48 AM
DeQueen to I-40 Final Environmental Impact Statement ("FEIS")

The FEIS indicates that CR 70 would be relocated (in this segment, Line 3 is the selected alignment) (p. 97/327 of pdf; p. 2-56 of document):

Looking at the map, it appears that there would would be a slight relocation of CR 70 to the north (p. 86/327 of pdf; Exh. 2-4 of document):

It looks like the southwestern interchange will involve the construction of a US 71 connector (p. 85/327 of pdf: Exh. 2-4 of document):

Although comments quoted in this post from forum member AHTD and I-49 International Coalition President Curt Green strongly hint that Mena is next in line, I have not seen a confirmation from department AHTD.

There is an old bridge on CR 70: I hope it is not destroyed. This is old, old US 71 pre-1930

---

No, wait: I'm thinking CR 76E as old 71.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on June 20, 2013, 03:01:58 PM
Quote from: Grzrd on June 20, 2013, 12:30:06 PM
AHTD has released the 2013 Arkansas Highway map
(above quote from Texarkana (Future I-49, I-69 Spur) thread)
... the projected route of Missouri's section of the Bella Vista Bypass has appeared on the 2013 map (the 2012 map only has the projected route of the Arkansas section of the Bella Vista Bypass):
Quote from: AHTD on July 28, 2015, 12:19:10 AM
Our 86th edition sports a new look with improved features!
Check it out: http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2015/jul/27/highway-map-gets-new-look-20150727-1/
(bottom quote from 2015-2016 Arkansas State Highway Map Now Available thread)

The 2015-16 Map, despite Missouri's financial woes, still has the projected route of Missouri's section of the Bella Vista Bypass, and it contains both the AR 549 and Future I-49 designations for the Bella Vista Bypass and Fort Smith/ Chaffee Crossing sections:

Bella Vista Bypass:

Fort Smith/ Chaffee Crossing:

Nice to see the Future I-49 designations on the map.

US71

Those who are on Facebook, the Build I-49 page has a few construction photos from around Bella Vista and Gravette.

KamKam

Woah!! The road looks legit!!

robbones

If NW Arkansas ain't already a mess with all of the construction, they are widening from US 71B (exit 67) to US 412 (exit 72). 

codyg1985

Quote from: robbones on July 29, 2015, 07:35:59 AM
If NW Arkansas ain't already a mess with all of the construction, they are widening from US 71B (exit 67) to US 412 (exit 72). 

True but it is badly needed from what I understand. As is the rest of the corridor between Fayetteville and Bentonville.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on July 14, 2015, 12:59:21 PM
AHTD's July 13, 2015 presentation to the Fort Smith Regional Chamber of Commerce indicates that the section between Hwy 72 and County Road 34 has been completed (page 15/31 of pdf) .... AHTD recently posted about the opening of this section in another thread:
Quote from: AHTD on July 22, 2015, 05:15:26 PM
We have opened the next segment of the Bella Vista Bypass.
http://www.arkansashighways.com/forums/SH_549_BVB_Signing_Memo.pdf
We'll schedule a ribbon cutting for sometime in August.

This Aug. 18 AHTD Information Release provides a notification that the ribbon cutting will take place at 10:30 am on Friday, August 21:

WHEN:   Friday, August 21 at 10:30 am.
WHERE: The event will take place on the northbound lanes of the new section under the northern State Highway 72 overpass.
WHY:     To celebrate the opening of another two-mile section of the ultimate 21-mile Bella Vista Bypass. This $14 million project began in mid-2012 and Kolb Grading was the prime contractor.

This August 12, 2015 AHTD presentation to the Bella Vista Rotary Club contains many slides about the Bella Vista Bypass; one thing I find interesting about the slides is the designation associated with 549 (p. 14/41 of pdf):

X-(

cjk374

So many ribbon-cutting ceremonies...so many miles between them. No way to get to them.  :-(

About "US" 549: Arkansas loves bringing in new US highways, they might as well create US 549.   :-D
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

US71

Quote from: cjk374 on August 18, 2015, 08:05:48 PM
So many ribbon-cutting ceremonies...so many miles between them. No way to get to them.  :-(

About "US" 549: Arkansas loves bringing in new US highways, they might as well create US 549.   :-D

Missouri had a US 249 for a short time ;)

codyg1985

Quote from: cjk374 on August 18, 2015, 08:05:48 PM

I am surprised that AHTD hasn't petitioned AASHTO for a new US highway somewhere in the state lately.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Henry

I think it's great that the southern half of the BVB is complete with Friday's ribbon-cutting. Now the ball is truly in MO's court to help finish the northern half...
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

US71

Quote from: Henry on August 19, 2015, 12:19:43 PM
I think it's great that the southern half of the BVB is complete with Friday's ribbon-cutting. Now the ball is truly in MO's court to help finish the northern half...

Not quite. It will be about another year before Hiwasse to Bella Vista open.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on July 18, 2014, 07:47:26 AM
This article reports that the Bella Vista Bypass would be southwest Missouri's top priority if Missouri voters approve the transportation sales tax and that Arkansas Highway Commissioner Dick Trammel is strongly hinting that Arkansas would then be able to come up with the extra $50 million to complete the Arkansas section of the BVB as a four-lane facility:
Dick Trammel, Arkansas Highway commissioner, said if Missouri voters approve the tax and the project north of the state line becomes a reality, it could speed up construction of all four lanes on this side of the line. Arkansas needs an estimated $50 million more to finish the bypass as a four-lane divided highway.
"If they get it, maybe we can get our other two lanes," Trammel said.
Quote from: O Tamandua on March 30, 2015, 08:39:43 AM
From today's NWA area paper ...
Bella Vista Bypass Not a Priority as Missouri Searches for Highway Money
Missouri highway officials are looking for money for roads but even if their latest proposal is successful, finishing the Bella Vista bypass doesn't appear to be on the state's list of priority projects, regional planners were told Wednesday.
"It doesn't look like there'll be enough money to do that," Andrew Seiler with the Missouri Department of Transportation told regional planners. "It will likely be pushed back."
Seiler's comment came in response to a question from Arkansas Highway Commission Chairman Dick Trammel about highway priorities in the region. Trammel said he was "deeply concerned" about getting the connection finished in a timely manner.
"I can't be critical if it's a financial problem because we're having those ourselves," Trammel said Friday. "But if it's a priority problem, I just hope they can see the expenditure and what we're doing, and then when they get in a position to they will include the Bella Vista bypass in their priorities because it's important to Missouri and Arkansas." ....
http://www.nwaonline.com/news/2015/mar/30/bella-vista-bypass-not-a-priority-as-mi/
Quote from: mvak36 on May 07, 2015, 11:32:58 AM
MoDOT draft STIP released. http://modot.org/plansandprojects/construction_program/STIP2016-2020/index.htm
Looks like Bella Vista Bypass has been pushed back to 2019-2020 year (see Page 11 of attached link)  :banghead:
http://www.modot.org/plansandprojects/construction_program/STIP2016-2020/documents/Sec046aSWRuralPaymentsandProjects.pdf
(bottom quote from I-49 Coming to Missouri thread)
Quote from: Grzrd on August 18, 2015, 01:30:51 PM
This Aug. 18 AHTD Information Release provides a notification that the ribbon cutting will take place at 10:30 am on Friday, August 21

In this article about the ribbon cutting, Commissioner Trammel is quoted as expressing optimism that Missouri will find a way to complete its section and that he hopes to have the extra $50 million needed to make the BVB a four-lane facility by about the time the initial two lanes are completed:

A few sprinkles from an overcast sky Friday morning didn't faze officials opening the newest section of the Bella Vista Bypass, which will be Interstate 49.
Dick Trammel, Arkansas highway commissioner, and other local dignitaries gathered below the newest Arkansas 74 overpass, just west of Hiwasse, and cut a blue ribbon using a huge pair of scissors. A couple of trucks blew their horns in salute as they passed above. Most of the cars in sight belonged to those attending the event ....
Trammel said voters' approval of a sales tax for highway improvements in 2012 paved the way for where the highway project is now, and he and others are working to find the money to finish the two additional lanes. Trammel said he'd like to have that money in hand by about the time the two lane part of the project is finished.
Trammel said Missouri officials are looking at ways to raise money for highways and he's confident Missouri will find a way to build it's 7-mile section from the state line to I-49 just south of Pineville.

Maybe with a little bit of luck Missouri can find a way to begin construction in 2017.

O Tamandua

Interesting thing about this article you just linked to from today, Grzrd, is that they are anticipating a May 2016 opening for the section under construction now linking to current I-49 at Bentonville.  We shall see, given that this section opened today was supposed to have been finished last October.  Hope the speculation is accurate.

M86

I saw a few things on Little Rock news stations about this being a new "Bella Vista Bypass" section.  One even said that the ribbon cutting was about the opening of it.  Sorry, it's been open for a while.

That Bella Vista Bypass is a mere 2 lane road.  Yet, AHTD can construct an Interstate standard highway with US 67 up to the northeast.
Dick Trammel has done nothing for this area... and it's really sad.

Gordon

Hopefully our congress and house members will pass a long term federal highway bill this fall or it will be a slow go on I 49 for both states.

cjk374

Quote from: Gordon on August 23, 2015, 10:32:31 AM
Hopefully our congress and house members will pass a long term federal highway bill this fall or it will be a slow go on I 49 for both states.

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
Remember: the opposite of PROgress is CONgress.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

US71

Quote from: M86 on August 23, 2015, 03:28:59 AM
I saw a few things on Little Rock news stations about this being a new "Bella Vista Bypass" section.  One even said that the ribbon cutting was about the opening of it.  Sorry, it's been open for a while.

That Bella Vista Bypass is a mere 2 lane road.  Yet, AHTD can construct an Interstate standard highway with US 67 up to the northeast.
Dick Trammel has done nothing for this area... and it's really sad.

Been open almost a month. One report said the road was open to Bella Vista.  :pan:

IMO, Dick Trammel is more a shameless huckster that a highway commissioner.

Road Hog

I have a feeling with a NWA governor in place, the I-49 project will get a kick in the rear end. The former officeholder was the driving force behind prioritizing US 67. There's always a certain amount of governmental inertia with EISes and the bidding process causing lag time.

US71

Quote from: Road Hog on August 25, 2015, 01:14:11 AM
I have a feeling with a NWA governor in place, the I-49 project will get a kick in the rear end. The former officeholder was the driving force behind prioritizing US 67. There's always a certain amount of governmental inertia with EISes and the bidding process causing lag time.
As soon as Asa finishes building more prisons

M86

Quote from: US71 on August 25, 2015, 08:51:16 AM
Yep, pretty much... but at least there is an Interstate ready US 67 and US 63... Both go towards Jonesboro.  I did a bunch of Google street views on the highways, and yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if there was some sort of corruption... There is no traffic.

Yet, the Bella Vista Bypass is just doing just a 2 laner.

O Tamandua

Quote from: M86 on August 27, 2015, 06:28:53 AM
Quote from: US71 on August 25, 2015, 08:51:16 AM
Yep, pretty much... but at least there is an Interstate ready US 67 and US 63... Both go towards Jonesboro.  I did a bunch of Google street views on the highways, and yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if there was some sort of corruption... There is no traffic.

Yet, the Bella Vista Bypass is just doing just a 2 laner.

Interesting thing is, the Arkansas portion of the Bella Vista bypass is almost entirely (I'm guessing 3/4 to 7/8) in the school district of where Gov. Hutchinson spent much of his time growing up (Gravette).

razorback0308

Any ideas as to when they'll start expanding the bridge at Exit 85?

noelbotevera

I-49 in AR and MO is like a dice - they don't know which way they'll turn till they add in the spice. When given all the bad stuff, you gotta take a leap of faith and be a gambler. Just take a leap of faith and boil decisions down to luck - that's the way to get I-49 done.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.