News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Outer Banks NC "city meet" - April 30, 2022

Started by A.J. Bertin, August 01, 2019, 09:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LM117

As I noted in the coronavirus thread, a stay-at-home order has been issued in NC, which will take effect this Monday at 5:00pm and last until April 29. The order also bans gatherings of more than 10 people and requires people to stay at least 6 feet apart from others.

https://governor.nc.gov/news/governor-cooper-announces-statewide-stay-home-order-until-april-29
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

A.J. Bertin

With a heavy heart, I have no choice but to postpone my meet due to the stay-at-home order in North Carolina that is lasting until April 29.

Because this was the exact time of year that seemed to be most ideal, and because of everything else going on with COVID-19 and in my personal life (not to mention hurricane season coming up later this year), I am postponing this meet for exactly one year. My plan at this point will be to host this gathering on Saturday, April 24, 2021.

I hate that this had to happen, but public health, saving lives, and complying with government orders is obviously way more important.
-A.J. from Michigan

roadwaywiz95

As hard of a decision as it must have been, it was the right one. Thank you for doing the right thing given the circumstances.

I've got that weekend next year marked on the calendar and I'm sure many of us will do the same. We'll see you next year!
Clinched Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/roadwaywiz.gif
Clinched Interstates & Other Highways: https://travelmapping.net/shields/clinched.php?units=miles&u=roadwaywiz

@roadwaywiz on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Spreadshirt, and Discord

Also at http://www.gribblenation.org/

Beltway

Well, you had no choice other than violating the decree of the government and risking their wrath ...
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: Beltway on March 28, 2020, 06:31:38 PM
Well, you had no choice other than violating the decree of the government and risking their wrath ...

Well, restaurants are closed to dine-in service... and the Outer Banks themselves are closed to non-residents.  Even if I wanted to violate government decree, it would still be impossible to move forward with this gathering on April 25.
-A.J. from Michigan

Beltway

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on March 28, 2020, 09:45:16 PM
Well, restaurants are closed to dine-in service... and the Outer Banks themselves are closed to non-residents.  Even if I wanted to violate government decree, it would still be impossible to move forward with this gathering on April 25.

I wouldn't recommend anyone violating the decree of the government and risking their wrath.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

hbelkins

Quote from: Beltway on March 28, 2020, 09:47:03 PM
Quote from: A.J. Bertin on March 28, 2020, 09:45:16 PM

I wouldn't recommend anyone violating the decree of the government and risking their wrath.

It's not even safe to criticize the decree of the government, at least where this matter is concerned. If you do, you're selfish and you want people to die and you don't understand epidemiology.

My personal opinion is that extending this out a month is overreaching. I was actually considering using part of my tax rebate (which is what I'm considering the coronavirus stimulus check to be) to attend this.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

bandit957

Quote from: hbelkins on March 28, 2020, 09:55:43 PM
It's not even safe to criticize the decree of the government, at least where this matter is concerned. If you do, you're selfish and you want people to die and you don't understand epidemiology.

Sadly, I've noticed this too. The talking heads endorsing these lockdowns don't know a thing about social science. Nothing. They don't realize that lockdowns will kill off society. People need some degree of social activity.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Beltway

Quote from: bandit957 on March 28, 2020, 10:01:23 PM
Sadly, I've noticed this too. The talking heads endorsing these lockdowns don't know a thing about social science. Nothing. They don't realize that lockdowns will kill off society. People need some degree of social activity.

That's right!!!  And I better think carefully before I post anything like this again!

(Robert Coté, 2002)

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on March 28, 2020, 11:21:23 AMI am postponing this meet for exactly one year. My plan at this point will be to host this gathering on Saturday, April 24, 2021.

Let the word go forth: one year is exactly 364 days!  :-D
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

TheHighwayMan3561

Tim and HB agree on something?

self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Brandon

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 29, 2020, 03:49:47 AM

Tim and HB agree on something?

Dude, I've been in the same boat for a week now.

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

bandit957

That said, the Outer Banks is a string of islands, so it can block outsiders. Cincinnati or northern Kentucky can't do it. If I lived on an island, we could block people. But it would be ridiculous and impractical for most places.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Alps

Moved irrelevant discussion away. Let's just move on.

ce929wax

I'm definitely interested in this meet since it is a year out.

roadwaywiz95

While we can't all convene in-person on 4/25 as per the original plan, perhaps some (if not all) of us can convene remotely instead thanks to this fine 'substitute' event:

Our next installment in the "Virtual Tour" series over on the 'roadwaywiz' YouTube channel is scheduled to take place on Saturday (4/25) at 6 PM ET. Come join me and members of the AARoads community as we profile Interstate 8 across southern California and discuss the history and features of this highway, all while enjoying a real-time video trip along the length of the freeway Yuma, AZ and San Diego, CA.

A link to the event location can be found below:

Clinched Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/roadwaywiz.gif
Clinched Interstates & Other Highways: https://travelmapping.net/shields/clinched.php?units=miles&u=roadwaywiz

@roadwaywiz on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Spreadshirt, and Discord

Also at http://www.gribblenation.org/

Takumi

Quote from: Takumi on February 29, 2020, 10:48:28 PM
Hi all, just came back to say I'm officially out for this, despite being interested in it in the past. I've got quite a lot going on these days.
Well, this aged like milk.

I might actually make this in 2021 (if it happens). I'm starting to get into the roads thing again a little bit.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

kevinb1994

Quote from: Takumi on June 29, 2020, 09:24:41 PM
Quote from: Takumi on February 29, 2020, 10:48:28 PM
Hi all, just came back to say I'm officially out for this, despite being interested in it in the past. I've got quite a lot going on these days.

I might actually make this in 2021 (if it happens). I'm starting to get into the roads thing again a little bit.
I'm sure there will be others in the same boat as you. Of course, we don't know how good, bad, or (hopefully not) ugly the COVID will be next year, so who knows.

tckma

Quote from: kevinb1994 on June 30, 2020, 05:06:02 AM

2020 has been a horrid year for me in between the pandemic and financial crap and planning an interstate move in the middle of it all.  At least I am gainfully employed (and an essential worker) at two jobs, which is more than a lot of people can say.

I've put road meets on not only the back burner, but the burner in the back room.  This is the first time I'm even visiting the forums in about six months, too.  That said, I've always wanted to see the Outer Banks, and I assumed I would one day with my father-in-law in Raleigh... but then he moved to Tennessee.

I'm doing what I can to avoid declaring bankruptcy right now.  Hopefully by the time April 2021 rolls around, I'll be in a much better place and might even be able to attend this.

A.J. Bertin

Hello, everyone!  I thought I would revive this thread to let everyone know that I'm still considering hosting this meet in April.  Just to remind everyone, this is a choose-your-own-adventure "city meet" like the gathering I facilitated in Providence RI in 2019... not a traditional meet with an organized tour/itinerary that all the attendees follow together.

Over the next few months, I will be keeping an eye on what's going on with the pandemic... particularly in North Carolina.  It's certainly good news that the COVID vaccine is gradually starting to be distributed, but I have to admit that I'm still not sure if the pandemic will be subsided enough for this meet to happen.  There are two essential components of my city meet concept that make it the social gathering that it is: 1) a lunch restaurant, and 2) a dinner restaurant.  Between lunch and dinner, folks are on their own to explore... and what makes the Outer Banks gathering different than what I hosted in Providence is that lunch and dinner are in separate locations (Nags Head vs. Elizabeth City), so logistically, folks will likely be driving separately if they want to participate in both lunch and dinner.  Otherwise, I can imagine that perhaps some attendees (or maybe small groups of attendees) might only join for lunch or dinner, but not both.

But back to my thought on the restaurants... I do understand that the road meets that were held in 2020 comprised an arrangement where everyone met at a park and brought their own lunches which worked out just fine.  That idea doesn't exactly translate to my city meet concept because I can't exactly scope out parks in person to get a sense of the picnic tables/pavilions that are available in those parks.  It's possible that one or both of the restaurants that I select for lunch/dinner may have outdoor dining available, and I may inquire about that with the restaurants and/or reserve it in advance... but I don't want to promote any arrangement that could potentially spread the virus more easily (indoors as opposed to outdoors, which tends to be a bit safer).  Without restaurant meals, my do-it-yourself gathering doesn't exactly work because there wouldn't be a practical way for all the participants to get together before and/or after their self-guided tours.

What it boils down to is... I'm really torn about what to do.  I really want to go to the Outer Banks in 2021 and gather with other roadgeeks there, but because of the pandemic, I'm wondering if I should just scrap the idea of the gathering and make a plan to just take a trip there by myself.  That way I can do my own thing without others feeling pressured to be unsafe during the pandemic.  I hate the idea of pushing off this meet by yet another year.  An argument could be made that I could host Omaha in 2021 (because the city where the gathering starts and ends would be the same... logistically it would be easier) and host Outer Banks in 2022, but with other meets that are on the calendar for 2021, I'm not sure I'd want to add Omaha to that mix... especially since I'd choose a later time of the year than April to host Omaha... and the calendar for later in the year is starting to get a bit full with other road meets that have been proposed.

Ultimately, I think I just need to wait and see what happens over the next couple of months.  By early to mid March, I'd like to make a decision about whether or not to host this in 2021.  That would give me, and anyone who's interested in attending, plenty of time to make my travel arrangements, make restaurant reservations, etc.  As of now, I'm just wondering if what I'm trying to accomplish in the Outer Banks will be too complicated and awkward while the pandemic is still running its course.  I'd love to hear any feedback that others have.  I'd especially be curious to hear from anyone who attended my Providence meet in 2019 because they have firsthand experience with the self-guided "city meet" concept and can offer their insights about what worked in Providence and how this may or may not work in the Outer Banks with the pandemic... particularly with the lunch and dinner being in separate cities.
-A.J. from Michigan

Laura

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on January 09, 2021, 09:50:37 PM
But back to my thought on the restaurants... I do understand that the road meets that were held in 2020 comprised an arrangement where everyone met at a park and brought their own lunches which worked out just fine.  That idea doesn't exactly translate to my city meet concept because I can't exactly scope out parks in person to get a sense of the picnic tables/pavilions that are available in those parks.  It's possible that one or both of the restaurants that I select for lunch/dinner may have outdoor dining available, and I may inquire about that with the restaurants and/or reserve it in advance... but I don't want to promote any arrangement that could potentially spread the virus more easily (indoors as opposed to outdoors, which tends to be a bit safer).  Without restaurant meals, my do-it-yourself gathering doesn't exactly work because there wouldn't be a practical way for all the participants to get together before and/or after their self-guided tours.

I've never been to OBX, but it's a common east coast beach destination, so other folks here on the forum might have ideas for places where we could do lunch and dinner. I personally would be down for a picnic on the beach!

I want to attend this even more in 2021 than I did in 2020 because the pandemic makes me miss y'all more than ever. Provided that I don't get COVID, I even have vacation time built up right now for the first time ever and would love to use it somewhere fun!

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: Laura on January 15, 2021, 01:57:45 PM
Quote from: A.J. Bertin on January 09, 2021, 09:50:37 PM

I've never been to OBX, but it's a common east coast beach destination, so other folks here on the forum might have ideas for places where we could do lunch and dinner. I personally would be down for a picnic on the beach!

Hmm... great idea, Laura!  Thank you for that suggestion.  I'll have to seriously think about that.  Maybe we can do lunch on the beach near Nags Head, but dinner would be somewhere in Elizabeth City.  This meet will be unique in that lunch and dinner are in different locations... and again, remember that it will be a self-guided tour where I won't have an organized itinerary for folks to follow.
-A.J. from Michigan

brianreynolds

So, this is about 10 weeks out at this moment.  I am saving the date in hopes that this really happens.  The Covid trend is in the right direction, but we have seen that before.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: brianreynolds on February 15, 2021, 09:39:56 PM
So, this is about 10 weeks out at this moment.  I am saving the date in hopes that this really happens.  The Covid trend is in the right direction, but we have seen that before.

I decided to put a question mark at the end of the date in the subject line of this thread because I still do not know, at this point, whether I will be hosting this gathering in 2021.  Last year when I postponed the meet by one year, I of course assumed that this pandemic would be well behind us by the same time this year... but I just do not know at this point.  It is encouraging that the vaccine has started to be distributed across the U.S., but we still have a long ways to go before a significant majority of the population (or, at least a significant majority of the population who is choosing to be vaccinated) will actually be vaccinated.  I'm guessing that the restrictions in North Carolina will be mostly non-existent in April, if they're already non-existent now, but I'm feeling a little gun shy at this point about decisively executing this meet in 2021... given its format where gathering at one or two restaurants is an important component.  Laura Bianca-Pruett did suggest gathering for lunch at the beach, which is kind of a neat idea, but I'm not sure that idea fits with my vision for this gathering.

Having said all of that, I will make a decision by mid-March as to whether I will move forward with hosting this as is.  Yes, other road meets have been successful so far during the pandemic, but the unique style of this gathering doesn't jive too well with pandemic restrictions... and the comfort level that folks may or may not have with gathering at restaurants.  If I decide not to go through with this in 2021, I will likely postpone it by yet another year.  We will see how things are looking in early- to mid-March.  People who know me well enough know that I'm not the kind of person to flake out on something like this, and I will not be making my decision lightly.
-A.J. from Michigan

snowc

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on February 16, 2021, 07:42:11 PM
Quote from: brianreynolds on February 15, 2021, 09:39:56 PM

I decided to put a question mark at the end of the date in the subject line of this thread because I still do not know, at this point, whether I will be hosting this gathering in 2021.  Last year when I postponed the meet by one year, I of course assumed that this pandemic would be well behind us by the same time this year... but I just do not know at this point.  It is encouraging that the vaccine has started to be distributed across the U.S., but we still have a long ways to go before a significant majority of the population (or, at least a significant majority of the population who is choosing to be vaccinated) will actually be vaccinated.  I'm guessing that the restrictions in North Carolina will be mostly non-existent in April, if they're already non-existent now, but I'm feeling a little gun shy at this point about decisively executing this meet in 2021... given its format where gathering at one or two restaurants is an important component.  Laura Bianca-Pruett did suggest gathering for lunch at the beach, which is kind of a neat idea, but I'm not sure that idea fits with my vision for this gathering.

Having said all of that, I will make a decision by mid-March as to whether I will move forward with hosting this as is.  Yes, other road meets have been successful so far during the pandemic, but the unique style of this gathering doesn't jive too well with pandemic restrictions... and the comfort level that folks may or may not have with gathering at restaurants.  If I decide not to go through with this in 2021, I will likely postpone it by yet another year.  We will see how things are looking in early- to mid-March.  People who know me well enough know that I'm not the kind of person to flake out on something like this, and I will not be making my decision lightly.
Hope this works out ok! I would REALLY love going to OBX! Its 100+miles away, but its worth every penny! A.J. Bertin, how does a roadmeet work?  :hmmm:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.