News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Northern Virginia HOT Lanes

Started by mtantillo, August 14, 2012, 11:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 14, 2019, 10:57:28 AM
Quote from: AlexandriaVA on October 14, 2019, 10:38:46 AM
You really think anyone up this way is going to be confused about the "opening" vs "converting" distinction

Yeah, I do, based on a lot of the overall stupidity I've seen elsewhere. Back in 2012 when the signs for the Beltway HO/T lanes went up on I-66 approaching the Beltway, one lady complained to Dr. Gridlock that she shouldn't need an E-ZPass to drive on I-66. She apparently didn't know about the Beltway HO/T project (I found that hard to believe).

I do not. 

MD-200 (ICC) has been open for quite a few years now, but just recently I was explaining to someone how E-ZPass works, but it is legal to drive on this road (but not the Transurban toll lanes in Virginia) without E-ZPass, but then the MDTA toll charges are significantly higher. 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

sprjus4

Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 15, 2019, 06:51:54 PM
(but not the Transurban toll lanes in Virginia)
Technically, you can, it's just a higher fee.

vdeane

Those are technically violation notices, not a bill by mail toll.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

oscar

Quote from: vdeane on October 16, 2019, 09:06:51 PM
Those are technically violation notices, not a bill by mail toll.

And the surcharge on the Transurban-managed lanes and roads in northern Virginia is higher than the bill-by-plate setup on MD 200. The surcharge starts at $12.50 if you get an invoice in the mail, though you can avoid that fee by paying the missed toll online plus a $1.50 fee within 5 days after the missed toll.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

1995hoo

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 14, 2019, 09:21:11 PM
Following on my comment from this morning, the HOV lanes were closed tonight at 8:00 when we were on our way home, so I wasn't able to look for any outbound toll gantries prior to Eads Street.

Drove in at midday today. There is no outbound toll gantry prior to Eads Street. The reversible carriageway is in about the best condition I've ever seen it, nice new pavement from Turkeycock up to where the current reversible configuration ends. Still a lot of work near the Pentagon, and the inbound approach to the 14th Street Bridge has been milled. (I entered there due to what time it was. In the future, this use of the "HOV bridge"  will incur a toll. I wonder what effect that'll have on traffic in the northbound "free"  lanes.)

I noted shortly before Edsall VDOT put up one of those signs they love so much explaining what "HOV"  means (seems like a waste–it's a new sign and it'll likely come down when HO/T operations begin, seeing as how the other HO/T lanes don't have those signs). But it's oddly worded. It complies with the silly new "HOV-3+"  terminology, but then it defines it as "High Occupancy Vehicle 3+ or more persons per vehicle"  (boldface added). The "+"  is unneeded, or alternatively the words "or more"  are unneeded. I guess this is a "Department of Redundancy Department"  sign.

Edited on Saturday afternoon to add: Coming back from the Caps game last night, I was surprised to find the HOV lanes were open. Main things of interest going southbound were:

(1) The new BGSs that replaced the old signs that simply said "Pentagon"–the new ones list Eads Street on the top line and Pentagon beneath that.

(2) New gates are in place on the median wall at the outbound Eads Street exit. These are needed because the current southbound-facing ramp at that interchange will now be reversible. The gates will swing out from the median barrier, unlike some of the others along the reversible facility where they raise and lower them.

(3) Once you get past the overpass carrying the ramp to Ridge Road, the third lane appears ready for use, but it's blocked off with barrels (some of which are protruding into the lane of traffic). I assume the third lane won't be used until the HO/T conversion takes place. There's probably no real reason why it couldn't be used now.

(4) A couple of signs still need to be altered as you approach Turkeycock–the "Last Exit Before Toll" footer needs to be removed or covered with greenout. They also need to remove some speed limit signs, but for obvious reasons that'll wait until the last minute.

My wife even noted how much better the road is since the work is winding down.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

AlexandriaVA

Well it's officially the window of time for the section of the 395 HOT lanes to open. There's definitely still work to be done, and I wonder if there will be some non-essential work done after the opening.

But most of the information (i.e. till) signs are in place, under shrouds. This includes not only 395 itself, but in neighborhoods in the approaches (Parkfairfax at the Shirlington rotary and Pentagon City on Army-Navy drive specifically.

AlexandriaVA

Tolling begins this coming Sunday, Nov. 10th.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/transportation/2019/11/04/tolling-new-express-lanes-begin-nov/

QuoteThe 395 Express Lanes will replace the current HOV lanes, from near Edsall Road in Fairfax County to the 14th Street Bridge in the District.

sprjus4

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on November 04, 2019, 04:03:31 PM
Tolling begins this coming Sunday, Nov. 10th.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/transportation/2019/11/04/tolling-new-express-lanes-begin-nov/

QuoteThe 395 Express Lanes will replace the current HOV lanes, from near Edsall Road in Fairfax County to the 14th Street Bridge in the District.
Looks like it'll be the last of open to all traffic for free outside of peak hours, now Transurban will be tolling 24/7.

1995hoo

AlexandriaVA

Noticed today while running over I-395 (on a bridge...) that the VMS now indeed indicate a start date of 17th November for the HOT lanes north of Turkeycock. Previously they had just generically said "November".

1995hoo

The reversible lanes north of Turkeycock were closed last night when we were on our way home (even the bridge was closed), but I noticed a bunch of new LGSs mounted on poles on the barriers. I say "LGSs," but I guess they weren't really green. The top part has the purple "E-ZPass Express" logo, then an orange panel said either "Opening November" or "Starting November," then a green panel says "REQUIRES" and underneath that are the E-ZPass and E-ZPass Flex logos. I don't recall these sorts of signs being used in advance of the other HO/T lane operations beginning. In the past there were banners and VMS messages (they're using the latter this time too, of course).

sprjus4

Tolling on 395 Express Lanes starts Sunday. Here's what you need to know.

A few takeaways from this article.

QuoteTolls could reach near $30 for the eight-mile stretch during the peak of the morning rush, officials say.

QuoteUnder federal law, toll facilities are required to maintain a speed of 45 mph 90 percent of the time, state officials said. Transurban has developed an algorithm to help ensure free-flowing traffic at a higher speed than required. The target speed is 65 mph.

And I thought I-95 was bad.

65 mph for the target speed? An "algorithm"? That in itself is definitely a money grab, basically raising that toll rate as high as possible until traffic hits 65 mph. The target speed on all the other HO/T facilities is 45 mph, and should be on this corridor. $30 for an 8-mile trip? That's $3.75 per mile, even I-95 and I-495 don't spike that high, I-95 has hit $30 frequently, notably during peak hours, but that's still only $1.20 per mile on average. So for a trip from Downtown DC to Garrisonville on Transurban's toll lanes could easily cost as high as $60 for 33 miles.

Not to mention, all other hours outside of peak times were free to all traffic, and now will cost drivers during those times, and if these higher rates carry outside of the immediate peak hours, it could easily ADD congestion to the GP lanes as drivers who were previously free now are avoiding the tolls. This same effect happened on I-64 in Hampton Roads when the toll hours were extended (not 24/7 though thankfully), and HRTPO's own study concluded and confirmed this.

1995hoo

IMO, the thing that will be the biggest surprise to most drivers tomorrow is that the approach to the 14th Street Bridge will be subject to the HO/T rules. That is, since the late 1980s, drivers could enter the inner carriageway either from Eads Street (the road marked on the LGSs as "Pentagon") or from Ramp G (the inbound left-side slip ramp that comes up just after you pass Pentagon City) regardless of the number of vehicle occupants and go over the "HOV bridge" into DC. Prior to the late 1980s, Ramp G had not normally been open and was used only when there was some sort of problem requiring traffic to be diverted, but in 1988 or so there was construction on I-395 in DC that led to backups and prompted VDOT to get permission from the feds to open that ramp, and the "HOV bridge," to all traffic. Starting this afternoon when HO/T operations begin, the "open to all traffic" aspect will be altered–Ramp G will remain open, but the segment of road to which it connects will be subject to HO/T restrictions. (The bridge itself won't be, as DC owns it, but because there is no realistic way to reach the "HOV bridge" without passing under the last toll gantry, the bridge itself effectively becomes the "HO/T bridge" in the inbound direction. No corresponding gantry outbound, BTW.)

Obviously the reason for doing this is to keep the HO/T lanes moving. Under the now-defunct HOV rules, there was a backup from roughly Eads Street to the bridge every weekday morning and most weekday afternoons, especially Fridays. That's a disincentive to use the HO/T lanes, so I understand why the toll there is in effect. I suspect this will be easily the most expensive segment (in terms of dollars charged per distance travelled) on a day-to-day basis, and I suspect the general-purpose lanes may get a lot more crowded there (they're bad enough already). One positive effect, though, might be that there should be less incentive for the kamikaze maneuver many people pull where they enter I-395 from the right side roughly in front of Macy's and proceed to try to bomb across all four lanes to the left-side slip ramp regardless of what traffic may already be in those lanes.

(Map link in which I dropped the pin on Ramp G, for those unfamiliar with the reference: https://goo.gl/maps/FtxepT9qZczk6Jcd9 )

From a practical standpoint, I presume VDOT could have reimposed HOV restrictions all the way up to the 14th Street Bridge at any time had they wanted to do so, and therefore as a general matter the idea of imposing the HO/T restriction there doesn't much bug me. I also recall that back in the 1970s, what we now call the HOV restriction was in effect at all times (with an HOV-4 requirement until 1988 or 1989, so from that standpoint I suppose they're simply reimposing a modified version of the old stricter rules. That is to say, VDOT has generally loosened the HOV rules on I-395 over the years, so I presume they could have tightened them again had they seen fit to do so. Either way, though, I'm sure it's going to be a major shock to a lot of people tomorrow, and I'm not sure the effect on the approach to the 14th Street Bridge in the mainline is going to be a positive development.

Aside from that, I'll be very interested in hearing how things go in the morning at the Pentagon. Both ramps connecting Eads Street to the inner carriageways are now reversible. The old southbound ramp from Eads Street to the inner carriageway will now be the exit for the Pentagon when the HO/T lanes are pointed towards DC and the old northbound ramp from the inner carriageway to Eads Street will now be the exit to Pentagon City–I assume the initial intent is that there'll be no left turn from the latter ramp and no right turn from the former ramp. We'll see how long it is before they decide to allow left turns from the latter ramp (that is, restoring the old movement). This summer when I was riding the WMATA shuttle to the Pentagon during the Metro shutdown I definitely noticed how bad the lineup was to exit at Eads Street and how rampant the line-cutting was, so I think it'll be very interesting to hear whether the new traffic pattern alleviates any of that. I won't see any of it since the trains are running again, though.

Regarding sprjus4's gripe about $30, I don't see how that's either news or a surprise. We've seen the tolls on the VDOT-operated HO/T facility on I-66 inside the Beltway in the mornings. I figured all along I-395 would likely be comparable to that, even having three lanes versus two on most of I-66. It's about nine miles from the Beltway to Rosslyn via I-66 (the last toll gantry is west of Spout Run Parkway, however, so the toll is effectively for just under eight miles), so the toll rate might be comparable. Biggest difference during rush hour is that I-66 is HOV-2 to ride free, whereas I-395 is HOV-3.

sprjus4

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 17, 2019, 12:21:00 PM
Regarding sprjus4's gripe about $30, I don't see how that's either news or a surprise. We've seen the tolls on the VDOT-operated HO/T facility on I-66 inside the Beltway in the mornings. I figured all along I-395 would likely be comparable to that, even having three lanes versus two on most of I-66. It's about nine miles from the Beltway to Rosslyn via I-66 (the last toll gantry is west of Spout Run Parkway, however, so the toll is effectively for just under eight miles), so the toll rate might be comparable. Biggest difference during rush hour is that I-66 is HOV-2 to ride free, whereas I-395 is HOV-3.
I-66 is 2 lanes in the peak direction, 4 lanes total, all tolled / HOV and has a target speed of 45 mph. With the extremely high demand for only 2 lanes, it's understandable to have higher tolls (not saying $40 is acceptable, but higher in general than say I-495, I-395, or I-95)

I-395 has now 7 lanes in the peak direction, 11 lanes tolled, with 3 tolled / HOV and has a target speed of as high as 65 mph. With that many lanes, there's no reason the tolls should be anywhere close to I-66. If Transurban set the target speed to the standard 45 mph used on the other HO/T facilities, the toll would likely be significantly lower and closer to the the rest of the lanes.

Yes, I-395 has a 43% AADT than I-66 does, but I-395 has 72% more lanes than I-66 does.

In the Northern Virginia metro, I understand the need for HO/T lanes and generally don't have an issue with them, but my biggest issues with them - tolling 24/7 as opposed to peak hours only, the high rates & target speed being used on I-395, and I guess now converting the previously free reversible bridge into a HO/T bridge for inbound traffic.

AlexandriaVA

LOL - such a lame answer. "I agree with the principle of HOT lanes, but effective none of the actual implementation".

The world moves on, buddy. This time next year, people will forget that the old HOV system even existed. Memories are short up here - too many people coming and going.

I'll try to get some pictures/observations today from the King St/Shirlington area.

sprjus4

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on November 17, 2019, 01:08:57 PM
LOL - such a lame answer. "I agree with the principle of HOT lanes, but effective none of the actual implementation".
Not really, it's quite simple.

The old HOV restricted hours ran from 6 am - 9 am, and 3:30 pm - 6:00 pm, and were open to all traffic for free outside of those hours. With the new HO/T system, the tolls should be in effect for newly added SOV traffic, during those hours, and remain free to all traffic outside of those hours. The purpose of HO/T lanes is to make the lanes less restrictive and add capacity to the overall system. Tolling during previously free hours is -more restrictive-, and only adds congestion to the GP lanes and reduces capacity from the overall system. The concept works all fine and good during peak hours, not during all other hours though. Really, tolling any lanes that were previously free to all is making it -more restrictive- which contradicts the point of the HO/T lane system to make it less restrictive. This has been a proven fact, and is already evident on I-95 where the lanes were previously free outside peak hours, notably VDOT's infamous lane drop at the Occoquan River. Traffic outside of designated peak hours (traffic lingers longer) could easily bypass slowdowns there in the then-free HOV lanes, and there wasn't much if any congestion in those HOV lanes. Now, traffic is forced to pay Transurban's toll on previously-free lanes, and congestion has significantly worsened at the infamous lane drop installed by VDOT in ~2012.

As for toll rates, comparable to the I-95 lanes, a $8 - $10 rate for the 7 mile stretch would be more in the range of reason, given all the lanes, and a regular 45 mph target speed, not Transurban's high 65 mph target speed.

The purpose of HO/T lanes is to have traffic flowing above 45 mph, and that's what most facilities base off of, including all of the other ones in Northern Virginia, not 65 mph which Transurban is using here.

Beltway

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 17, 2019, 12:21:00 PM
Plenty of opportunities to pick up slugs or to be a slug yourself, and ride free at HOV-3.  Some sluggers start as far south as Fredericksburg.

In any event, if they set a toll too high, traffic drops, total instantaneous revenue will fall; if they set a toll too low, traffic increases, average highway speed will fall; so the appropriate toll is what would maximize revenue while meeting a specified target average highway speed.

I won't be using I-395, and few inter-regional travelers such as myself will, so that is a whole nother group of people who will be using that.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Beltway

Quote from: sprjus4 on November 17, 2019, 01:22:02 PM
The purpose of HO/T lanes is to have traffic flowing above 45 mph, and that's what most facilities base off of, including all of the other ones in Northern Virginia, not 65 mph which Transurban is using here.

Too low, IMHO.  If it is only going 45 mph on a freeway, traffic will be very heavy and dense.  I would rather be able to rely on 65 mph or better if I am going to pay to use those lanes.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

sprjus4

Quote from: Beltway on November 17, 2019, 04:08:42 PM
Too low, IMHO.  If it is only going 45 mph on a freeway, traffic will be very heavy and dense.  I would rather be able to rely on 65 mph or better if I am going to pay to use those lanes.
Except none of the HO/T lanes in the Northern Virginia region, or anywhere really, utilize a target speed higher than 45 mph, and rightfully so. I'd rather pay a medium toll and be moving 45 mph during the worst period of congestion (remember, the target speed may be 45 mph, but most times it will be moving the speed limit or higher) rather than an outrageous toll just to be moving slightly faster.

Setting a target speed as high as 65 mph results in higher toll which results in less usage which results in more general purpose congestion. A medium target speed of 45 mph during heaviest congestion allows the tolls to be more reasonable, the HO/T lanes to attract more people, and pull people out of the general purpose lanes reducing congestion in them. The goal of HO/T lanes should be enabling the entire system (GP lanes and HO/T lanes) to carry more vehicles and people, and for all lanes to flow smoother, not just let the GP lanes choke to death and the HO/T lanes carry the few people paying the high toll moving at 70+ mph and the carpools.

I've had my doubts about expanding the HO/T lanes down to the Hampton Roads region, but it seems we're better handling and properly using the system for overall system performance increase rather than focusing so hard on getting those HO/T lanes to never move below 65 mph and not giving much care to the general purpose lanes in the process. It's also ran by the state rather than a private entity who is in reality simply looking to make a profit, and is indeed doing so.

1995hoo

The old HOV restricted hours ran from 6 am - 9 am, and 3:30 pm - 6:00 pm, and were open to all traffic for free outside of those hours. ....

Of course, once upon a time I-395's reversible lanes were HOV-4 at all times, though the term "HOV-4" wasn't then in use. Back then the reversible lanes ended roughly where the Franconia—Springfield Parkway overpass is now (maybe a little further south). I presume VDOT could have reimposed the older HOV rules if they saw fit to do so, which is why I don't have the same beef about "taking away lanes open to all traffic." The I-95 lanes south of Springfield down to Dumfries had never been subject to the 24/7 HOV rule (nor to HOV-4, though that part is irrelevant), so I view the changeover there differently from how I view I-395.

Here's an old sign approaching Turkeycock. Note the HOV hours. At all other times, the lanes were closed in this direction. (Somewhere I have a bigger copy of this photo, but I can't find my Photobucket password to download it so I can post it in a viewable format.)

1995hoo

BTW, out of curiosity I looked to see what they're estimating the toll to be from the Beltway to DC via I-395. As of about 4:55 this afternoon the website said $4.35. I don't know what the signs on the road show, whether they continue to list "395-236" as the last line because it's the end of a "segment" or whether they show I-395 destinations, and I don't know whether the I-95 lanes will show up as a separate transaction on an E-ZPass statement than the I-395 lanes. I might see the signs tomorrow morning on my way to the Springfield Metro unless I go to Huntington. As to the other question, maybe I'll find out next weekend if the lanes are pointing in the correct direction for Saturday afternoon's Caps game (they probably won't be).

sprjus4

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 17, 2019, 04:47:47 PM

The old HOV restricted hours ran from 6 am - 9 am, and 3:30 pm - 6:00 pm, and were open to all traffic for free outside of those hours. ....

Of course, once upon a time I-395's reversible lanes were HOV-4 at all times, though the term "HOV-4" wasn't then in use. Back then the reversible lanes ended roughly where the Franconia—Springfield Parkway overpass is now (maybe a little further south). I presume VDOT could have reimposed the older HOV rules if they saw fit to do so, which is why I don't have the same beef about "taking away lanes open to all traffic." The I-95 lanes south of Springfield down to Dumfries had never been subject to the 24/7 HOV rule (nor to HOV-4, though that part is irrelevant), so I view the changeover there differently from how I view I-395.

Here's an old sign approaching Turkeycock. Note the HOV hours. At all other times, the lanes were closed in this direction. (Somewhere I have a bigger copy of this photo, but I can't find my Photobucket password to download it so I can post it in a viewable format.)

Nonetheless, Transurban's territory extension is only making the lanes -more restrictive- than they were in the past couple of decades, which contradicts the whole idea of HOV to HO/T conversion, to make the lanes less restrictive and maximize the traffic using them. If a SOV traveler was going southbound for a good distance oat 6:30 pm and there was lingering congestion in the mainlines, they could hop in the HOV lanes free of charge / restriction and avoid it. Now, they would be subject to a high toll (because of mainline congestion) and more than likely they will now chose to stay in the general purpose lanes and sit in traffic because of not wanting to pay a toll. Times this by thousands of vehicles during congestion during off-peak times now avoiding the "bypass"  lanes that now are tolled high, and it only adds congestion to the GP lanes, does not maximize usage of the reversible lanes, and decreases the amount of vehicles utilizing the entire system.

That's my main issue with these HO/T lane conversions. New construction, like I-495, understandable more (but still disagree w the non-peak hour tolling) but when the lanes are already pre-existing restricted only during peak hours, they shouldn't be extended 24/7.

Then there's also weekends and holidays which were open to all traffic free of charge. Now that is gone too.

sprjus4

Quote from: Beltway on November 17, 2019, 04:01:38 PM
I won't be using I-395, and few inter-regional travelers such as myself will, so that is a whole nother group of people who will be using that.
Few inter-regional travelers likely use the I-95 and I-495 lanes as well. I probably sound like a broken record, but the majority of traffic is local, not thru.

AlexandriaVA

Drove from Shirlington to Pentagon City in the afternoon...Near Shirlington at around 4:30 PM, the lanes were out-of-operation, and there were work vehicles in the HOT lanes (right around where the Shirlington Rotary is). All of the signage had been unwrapped, so I wonder if there was an issue with opening the lanes. While the green arrows were lit-up in the northbound direction, the VMS/price sign said "Lanes closed, do not enter".

Beltway

Quote from: sprjus4 on November 17, 2019, 04:15:48 PM
Quote from: Beltway on November 17, 2019, 04:08:42 PM
Except none of the HO/T lanes in the Northern Virginia region, or anywhere really, utilize a target speed higher than 45 mph, and rightfully so.
Not my experience. 

I have been downloading my EZPass transactions since Jan. 2018, and (just reviewed) have taken 12 trips on I-495 HOT lanes, and 37 trips on the I-95 HOT Lanes.

Very rarely am I not able to maintain 65 mph, and then only relatively briefly below.

Traffic even in the center of rush hours typically runs at about 70 mph, with plenty going 72 to 75 mph. 

Part of why I like them so much, they typically run like a busy but full speed rural Interstate.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.