News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Highway Blunders

Started by Voyager, January 26, 2009, 12:35:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSOWorld

WIS 29/WIS 52 and US 51 in Wausau before last year.  Two freeways joined by a diamond interchange with traffic lights.

Its bad enough that it could get worse - oh if you travel straight under the bridge onto WIS 52 east, you're guaranteed to run into 5 red lights!
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

vdeane

Both I-490 between Fairport and Bushnell's Basin as well as I-90 between Buffalo and Syracuse are in dire need of a third lane each direction.  Traffic can get pretty bad on both.

NY 204 is ridiculous.  It was intended to connect I-490 to the Rochester airport, but it was never completed and only connects I-490 to NY 33A (it has no exits).  It's fairly useless and should be reduced to one lane each way or removed completely.

The Inner Loop is also underused.  It's possible to drive on it and be the only car on the entire road.  That may change though, because the DOT is signing it as Alternate I-490 now.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Alex

Quote from: deanej on January 27, 2009, 12:53:29 PM
Both I-490 between Fairport and Bushnell's Basin as well as I-90 between Buffalo and Syracuse are in dire need of a third lane each direction.  Traffic can get pretty bad on both.

NY 204 is ridiculous.  It was intended to connect I-490 to the Rochester airport, but it was never completed and only connects I-490 to NY 33A (it has no exits).  It's fairly useless and should be reduced to one lane each way or removed completely.

The Inner Loop is also underused.  It's possible to drive on it and be the only car on the entire road.  That may change though, because the DOT is signing it as Alternate I-490 now.

They are signing it at Alternate Interstate 490 now? Will be Interstate 490 Alt east and west, or just generic I-490 ALT. I've seen a few ALT Interstates around through the years, and I have always wondered if any one actually pays attention to them. This may be the first time that a freeway with no other numerical designation gained that status however...

vdeane

Partially.  It says Alt I-490 on the new signs on I-490 east on exit 13, but I don't know if it does anywhere else or not (I'm leaning towards not).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Voyager

I would consider Sacramento's freeway systems to be a blunder in themselves.
Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

Alex

One highway blunder not mentioned is the Delaware 1 Indian River Inlet bridge replacement project. DelDOT paid a contractor money for the initial earthwork that resulted in large earth piles on the approach to each side. It was thought that a new arch bridge with no supports in the water would replace the agining crossing. However, it was determined that that span was cost prohibitive, so designers were forced to go back and reconsider the crossing. Last I heard some kind of cable-stayed bridge was touted.

Meanwhile the large mounds of earth that were paid for now have to be removed as the bridge design has changed. More money out the window there. What a blunder!

Voyager

Didn't they once use some kind of experimental pavement that made all the cars slide in the rain?
Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

vdeane

Here's my neighborhood's experience with experimental pavement:

The streets in our neighborhood were in dire need of repair about five years ago so the town decided to put a layer of new, experimental pavement that was supposed to last us 50 years on top of the roads.  What the roads really needed was a reconstruction from the foundation up, and needless to say the pavement that was supposed to last us 50 years has eroded away in many places, leaving the roads worse than before.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.