News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Madison Area

Started by peterj920, February 24, 2019, 09:44:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Ghostbuster

This is somewhat east of the Madison area, but the Interstate 94 interchange at STH 73 (Exit 250) is planned to be reconstructed next year: https://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/projects/by-region/sw/i94wis73/default.aspx. The DOT website has given little information about what configuration the reconstructed STH 73 interchange will be, but if I had to hazard a guess it would likely be similar to the CTH N interchange (Exit 244); a diamond interchange with roundabouts at the ramp terminals. When the interchange is reconstructed, I hope the underpasses become wide enough to accommodate a third lane in each direction.

peterj920

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 19, 2023, 06:49:31 PM
This is somewhat east of the Madison area, but the Interstate 94 interchange at STH 73 (Exit 250) is planned to be reconstructed next year: https://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/projects/by-region/sw/i94wis73/default.aspx. The DOT website has given little information about what configuration the reconstructed STH 73 interchange will be, but if I had to hazard a guess it would likely be similar to the CTH N interchange (Exit 244); a diamond interchange with roundabouts at the ramp terminals. When the interchange is reconstructed, I hope the underpasses become wide enough to accommodate a third lane in each direction.

The bridges will be wide enough for a 3rd lane and that's been common along I-94 all the way to the Minnesota border. They're built that way mainly to accommodate bi-directional traffic if there's construction it seems as work zones along I-94 have 2 lanes in each direction.

I-94 between Madison and Pewaukee needs a rebuild badly as the road bed is shot. New resurfacing projects don't last very long because of it.

triplemultiplex

The DOT website has given little information about what configuration the reconstructed STH 73 interchange will be, but if I had to hazard a guess it would likely be similar to the CTH N interchange (Exit 244); a diamond interchange with roundabouts at the ramp terminals.

As a rural interchange with no services in the immediate interchange area, I think it's more likely they won't use roundabouts at the ramp terminals. I'm noticing a rough pattern in where WisDOT is using ramp terminal roundabouts in recent years.  And I think this junction falls below whatever threshold I'm imagining they have for roundabouts over conventional intersections for the ramp terminals.

I think that threshold involves some calculation on whether or not signals would be needed, either right now or in the near future. Provided the location is suburban or exurban or is rural, but has an abundance of businesses serving freeway travelers.  And naturally, assuming no site-specific constraints that would make some other configuration more suited.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

mgk920

Quote from: peterj920 on October 19, 2023, 11:41:59 PM

The bridges will be wide enough for a 3rd lane and that's been common along I-94 all the way to the Minnesota border. They're built that way mainly to accommodate bi-directional traffic if there's construction it seems as work zones along I-94 have 2 lanes in each direction.

I-94 between Madison and Pewaukee needs a rebuild badly as the road bed is shot. New resurfacing projects don't last very long because of it.

How much of that current I-94 roadbed is still the pre-I-94 WI 30 roadbed?

That sounds a LOT like how much of the I-41 project between Appleton and De Pere starting next year will be digging out and replacing old US 41 roadbed that dates back to and before 1960.

Mike

Big John

^^ Though the portion from just north of CTH J to De Pere was done in 2000.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: mgk920 on October 20, 2023, 12:09:34 PM
How much of that current I-94 roadbed is still the pre-I-94 WI 30 roadbed?

Except for the little bit thru Johnson Creek that was redone ~20 years ago, it should be the whole thing from just east of Cottage Grove to CTH SS in Pewaukee.

mgk920

Quote from: Big John on October 20, 2023, 12:45:49 PM
^^ Though the portion from just north of CTH J to De Pere was done in 2000.

Parts were partially realigned and so forth as part of its upgrade from the previous surface four lanes to a full interstate compatible freeway in about 2000, but it was not fully rebuilt.  The pending 'big shovel' project will dig out the highway's entire roadbed and replace it with an urban profile six lane freeway to match what was done a decade and two ago further south to WI 26 in Oshkosh and a few years ago further north around the Green Bay area.  It will be an entirely new highway.

Mike

silverback1065

Just curious, I don't know much about the Madison area. I have visited there this summer and was wondering if they were or are planning to connect the beltline freeway to 90/94 somewhere north of town.  :hmmm:

Big John

Quote from: silverback1065 on October 24, 2023, 10:15:09 AM
Just curious, I don't know much about the Madison area. I have visited there this summer and was wondering if they were or are planning to connect the beltline freeway to 90/94 somewhere north of town.  :hmmm:
Not a chance. Too many BANANAs there.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: Big John on October 24, 2023, 10:38:04 AM

Unless you count US-12's interchange with I-90/94 as "somewhere north of town."

mgk920

Quote from: SEWIGuy on October 24, 2023, 01:58:15 PM
Quote from: Big John on October 24, 2023, 10:38:04 AM

Unless you count US-12's interchange with I-90/94 as "somewhere north of town."

And the I-90/94/US 12 connection at Lake Delton (Wisconsin Dells) would require a complete redo to accomplish that, like it *should* have been done a couple of decades or more ago.  The actual 'North Beltline' ship in the Madison area itself sailed by the 1960s and is not likely to be revived at any time within the foreseeable future.  The traffic demand is still and will always be there, but only look for more minor 'here and there' type upgrades to address that.  Anything beyond that will have to wait for future generations to get fed up and demand that something more substantial be done.

Mike

The Ghostbuster

There has long been a North Mendota Parkway proposed for the north side of Madison. It is unlikely that it will ever be constructed. I wouldn't mind expanding STH 19 to four lanes (except for the portion east of Dorn Dr. and west of Division St., where it would be impossible) from US 12 to US 51, maybe even a northern bypass of Waunakee.

GeekJedi

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 24, 2023, 02:31:24 PM
There has long been a North Mendota Parkway proposed for the north side of Madison. It is unlikely that it will ever be constructed. I wouldn't mind expanding STH 19 to four lanes (except for the portion east of Dorn Dr. and west of Division St., where it would be impossible) from US 12 to US 51, maybe even a northern bypass of Waunakee.

While I agree with the idea, any new construction around Waunakee will be DOA.
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

triplemultiplex

They are going to make CTH M four lanes around the north end of Lake Mendota.  That's about as close to a "Northern Beltline" or "North Mendota Parkway" we're going to get.

The Ghostbuster

That's better than nothing, I suppose.

peterj920

:pan:
Quote from: triplemultiplex on October 25, 2023, 09:59:43 AM
They are going to make CTH M four lanes around the north end of Lake Mendota.  That's about as close to a "Northern Beltline" or "North Mendota Parkway" we're going to get.

I think eventually CTH K may become 4 lanes. The issue right now is that there's so many areas of growth where expansion is needed. County M/Pleasant View Rd is probably the largest expansion project in the last 10 years. County BB/Cottage Grove Rd was just expanded as well. County PD is also being expanded mainly thanks to Epic. However, Dane County is splitting the costs with the municipalities making the projects more economical. Anything in the rural areas have to be taken on 100% by Dane County which would strain its budget.

The Ghostbuster

DSS5

I really need the intersection of WI-60 and US 12 near Sauk City to be signaled. I've frequently upwards of 5 minutes to be able turn left onto 12.

The Ghostbuster

I'm surprised it's not signaled already, like the CTH PF intersection. Maybe the DOT will build a roundabout there if they don't add traffic signals to the intersection.

peterj920

Looked at the DOT website and there's going to be a signal at US 18/151 and County G/Dairyland Dr? There's also going to be added auxiliary lanes. EPIC has a big influence!

The Ghostbuster

The project is listed here: https://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/projects/by-region/sw/us18151-danecounty/default.aspx. The stop-sign controlled intersection at the ramp terminal at the CTH-G interchange has evidently become inadequate, which is why they will be signalized in 2025. Personally, I think both ramp terminals should be signalized instead of just the westbound one.

Big John

^^ The link provided the results of traffic signal warrants and only 1 of the ramps met a warrant.  Though I agree that WisDOT is rather conservative in putting in signals at ramp termini.

peterj920

Whenever I go by there's hardly any traffic and it's a rural interchange. But I'm guessing they're anticipating more EPIC traffic.

The Ghostbuster

I traveled along the reconstucted portion of Atwood Ave. today, and I think it looks pretty good, even though I still think they should have left the street (Oakridge Ave. to Cottage Grove Rd.) with two lanes in each direction.

TheCatalyst31

Quote from: peterj920 on November 24, 2023, 09:27:35 PM
Looked at the DOT website and there's going to be a signal at US 18/151 and County G/Dairyland Dr? There's also going to be added auxiliary lanes. EPIC has a big influence!

Despite how close it is, that exit isn't very useful for getting to and from Epic unless you're coming from Mount Vernon. Though with how much Verona has expanded, the DOT might be anticipating more housing development in the vicinity of the exit.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.