News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Athletics President re: keeping the team in Oakland

Started by OCGuy81, May 12, 2021, 12:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big John

Quote from: SectorZ on February 17, 2024, 05:44:14 PM
With apologies to any A's fans here, this circus is getting really fun to watch right now.
With the elephant in their logo

gonealookin

Quote from: SectorZ on February 17, 2024, 05:44:14 PM
With apologies to any A's fans here, this circus is getting really fun to watch right now.

Oh, I've been an A's fan since I was in grade school in the East Bay and Reggie Jackson, Catfish Hunter and Rollie Fingers were winning World Championships.  There's no need to apologize, the current ownership has certainly turned it into a "circus", which will get even more absurd if they somehow fail to complete their stadium deal in Las Vegas (they have a promise of $380 million courtesy of the Nevada legislature, but the rest of the financing is still up in the air).

In recent years the A's ownership has simply decided not to compete in Major League Baseball.  They had some good players in the 2018-2021 period, but as they gained enough service time and came due for salaries well above the MLB minimum, the A's traded all of them off for other teams' mediocre prospects who would work for cheap (and also be lousy enough to lose 112 games as the team did last season).  It stupefies me that someone would own a major league sports team and be satisfied to cash the checks from TV deals and not try their best to field a winning team; if that's your mentality you need to invest your assets in some other line of business.

If the Vegas ballpark deal were to fall apart I expect the other MLB owners would finally get fed up and force John Fisher to sell the team.  That wouldn't necessarily be any better for Oakland as someone from one of the other cities mentioned as future expansion candidates might step up to be the buyer, or a buyer might just take over the Vegas project.

ZLoth

From SportsNet:

Oakland A's relocating to Sacramento for next three seasons
QuoteThe A's announced the decision to play at the home of the Sacramento River Cats from 2025-27 with an option for 2028 on Thursday after being unable to reach an agreement to extend their lease in Oakland during that time.

(text deleted)

The A's will now play the next three seasons at Sutter Health Park in West Sacramento, near the state capitol and the NBA arena where the Sacramento Kings play. The minor league stadium has 10,624 fixed seats and can currently hold 14,014 fans with lawn seating and standing room.
FULL ARTICLE HERE
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

SectorZ

Probably not too worried about that low seating capacity in Sacramento when they can only get 6,000 to go to a game in Oakland right now.

I actively cringed just watching that three game series the Red Sox played against them, especially that game with five errors in three innings. I swear Margaret Whitton was reincarnated and watching the game from a luxury box applauding the effort.

Max Rockatansky

If the short term move to Sacramento goes down I'll probably incorporate a game into a city meet.  To my knowledge nobody has done Sacramento and the stadium is right near a lot of noteworthy road items.

epzik8

Congrats to Sacramento on finally getting their MLB team.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Buck87

When the Orioles play there will the scoreboards and TV score bugs show:

BAL
SAC

gonealookin

Quote from: Buck87 on April 04, 2024, 10:11:48 PMWhen the Orioles play there will the scoreboards and TV score bugs show:

BAL
SAC

It should be
BAL
A'S

One of the things they said in the announcement is that they will simply be known as the "Athletics" or the "A's" with no city affiliation in the name.  I imagine they might put some Sacramento patch on the uniforms but they won't have "Sacramento" in script across the front.

Henry

Quote from: gonealookin on April 04, 2024, 10:39:24 PM
Quote from: Buck87 on April 04, 2024, 10:11:48 PMWhen the Orioles play there will the scoreboards and TV score bugs show:

BAL
SAC

It should be
BAL
A'S

One of the things they said in the announcement is that they will simply be known as the "Athletics" or the "A's" with no city affiliation in the name.  I imagine they might put some Sacramento patch on the uniforms but they won't have "Sacramento" in script across the front.
It's their last season in Oakland, so it's still going to be "BAL-OAK" like it's been for the last 57 years. I sort of expected them not getting an extension in Oakland, and it's just as well because the relationship between the two sides has deteriorated to the point of no return. Just like that, the Giants will have the Bay Area all to themselves for all eternity.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

LilianaUwU

"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Scott5114

BAL
SAC

The AARoads Forum experience in two posts:

Quote from: Henry on April 04, 2024, 10:47:23 PMIt's their last season in Oakland, so it's still going to be "BAL-OAK" like it's been for the last 57 years.

Quote from: LilianaUwU on April 04, 2024, 10:56:00 PMhehe ball sack
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

bwana39

Quote from: Henry on April 04, 2024, 10:47:23 PM

BAL
SAC

It should be
BAL
A'S

It's their last season in Oakland, so it's still going to be "BAL-OAK" like it's been for the last 57 years. I sort of expected them not getting an extension in Oakland, and it's just as well because the relationship between the two sides has deteriorated to the point of no return. Just like that, the Giants will have the Bay Area all to themselves for all eternity.

As it is, the A's wanted to move to the South Bay and the Giants said no.  It is like the Airport thing going on right now. Nobody wants to be associated with Oakland.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Road Hog

Maybe FCK-ARS if there is the possibility that FC Kaiserslautern return to the Bundesliga and make a Champions League appearance against Arsenal.

SEWIGuy

Not sure the As move to Vegas is going to go like the Raiders. The Raiders have a huge fanbase in southern California that will think nothing of driving up to Vegas for a weekend considering there are only eight or nine home games. NFL games are more a destination event.

The As don't have that following and baseball isn't quite like that.

jeffandnicole

BAL
SAC

It should be
BAL
A'S

So, it's "Thanks for hosting us; we won't give you any recognition"?  Sacramento should then say, sorry, the ballpark is no longer available for your use.

And yes, while not every team uses the host city in their name, a nice sign of appreciation for this limited-timed engagement would be to use the city name. It also helps with jersey sales, along with other apparel and souvenir sales.

Seems like the owners have no idea how marketing works.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 05, 2024, 10:07:59 AM

BAL
SAC

It should be
BAL
A'S

So, it's "Thanks for hosting us; we won't give you any recognition"?  Sacramento should then say, sorry, the ballpark is no longer available for your use.

And yes, while not every team uses the host city in their name, a nice sign of appreciation for this limited-timed engagement would be to use the city name. It also helps with jersey sales, along with other apparel and souvenir sales.

Seems like the owners have no idea how marketing works.

I agree about the marketing, but I think Sacramento turning this deal down because they won't refer to themselves as the Sacramento As is a little short-sighted.

1995hoo

In case the image doesn't display properly, here is a link to the source, and if THAT doesn't work, search Twitter for @ToddRadom.

https://twitter.com/ToddRadom/status/1775932164749644157
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Max Rockatansky

Too bad Fresno didn't put in a pitch to have the As here.  Chukchansi Park is a similar size to Sutter Health Park.  I'd probably go to an As game every week if they were here.

1995hoo

BAL
SAC

Whereas if the Nats were to play there, it would just be good advice:

WSH
SAC

The Mariners, on the other hand....
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

SectorZ

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 05, 2024, 02:53:33 PM

BAL
SAC

Whereas if the Nats were to play there, it would just be good advice:

WSH
SAC

The Mariners, on the other hand....

When the White Sox come to town it becomes a dog toy. TB can also be an imaginative one as well.

NWI_Irish96

BAL
SAC

The TV score bugs show team logo/score/score/team logo, so every time the Phillies and Pirates play, we start with

P 0 0 P
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

epzik8

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on April 05, 2024, 04:40:24 PM

BAL
SAC

The TV score bugs show team logo/score/score/team logo, so every time the Phillies and Pirates play, we start with

P 0 0 P

Best idea yet.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.