News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-49 Coming to Missouri

Started by US71, August 04, 2010, 06:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverback1065

Quote from: Bobby5280 on November 29, 2016, 01:45:41 PM
I wonder why these guys have to work "behind the scenes" to get something like this Interstate connection finished. Both Missouri and Arkansas have had the same party controlling all branches of government and that same party has been in control of the US House & Senate. There are some powerful business people living in the Northwest Arkansas region who support the same party. With all that united government machinery in place one would think a highway like this could get completed pretty quickly.

the problem is the politicians don't care about infrastructure anymore.

The Ghostbuster

Not unless it gets them votes, money and/or publicity.

US71

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on November 29, 2016, 07:26:00 PM
Not unless it gets them votes, money and/or publicity.

Like I-555 or Arkansas I-57
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

sparker

I for one am surprised the Wal-Mart organization hasn't gotten more involved in the issue of finishing I-49 between Bentonville and I-44; it would certainly enhance the regional and even national connectivity of that chain's extensive HQ/warehousing facilities in the area. 

US71

Quote from: sparker on November 30, 2016, 09:08:09 PM
I for one am surprised the Wal-Mart organization hasn't gotten more involved in the issue of finishing I-49 between Bentonville and I-44; it would certainly enhance the regional and even national connectivity of that chain's extensive HQ/warehousing facilities in the area. 

Wal-Mart, Tyson, and JBHunt actually :)

They spend a lot of money lobbying , like they did for XNA, but someone else does the work.

The new 8th Street exit on I-49 will be a direct link to Wal-Mart HQ, but the city and state are paying for it. Wal-Mart lobbied for it, but they're not doing the work.

sparker

Quote from: US71 on November 30, 2016, 09:17:49 PM
Quote from: sparker on November 30, 2016, 09:08:09 PM

They spend a lot of money lobbying , like they did for XNA, but someone else does the work.

The new 8th Street exit on I-49 will be a direct link to Wal-Mart HQ, but the city and state are paying for it. Wal-Mart lobbied for it, but they're not doing the work.

They certainly do lobby, as does virtually every major national business chain -- but if they are engaging in any specific efforts toward completion of I-49 in their area it's been, at least on the face of things, ineffective so far.  Not to suggest they take an active role in the actual construction effort, but with their level of influence, it's just a bit surprising to see that it hasn't been brought to bear in this situation. 

US71

Quote from: sparker on December 02, 2016, 04:39:13 PM

They certainly do lobby, as does virtually every major national business chain -- but if they are engaging in any specific efforts toward completion of I-49 in their area it's been, at least on the face of things, ineffective so far.  Not to suggest they take an active role in the actual construction effort, but with their level of influence, it's just a bit surprising to see that it hasn't been brought to bear in this situation. 
Well for one: they are building their toll road from the future US 412 Bypass to XNA.

Just because you don't see anything, doesn't mean they're not doing anything

sparker

Quote from: US71 on December 02, 2016, 08:03:09 PM
Just because you don't see anything, doesn't mean they're not doing anything

In that case, let's hope their behind-the-scenes efforts, present and near future, place the unconstructed I-49 well up on their priority list. 

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on November 28, 2016, 12:59:02 PM
This Nov. 22 TV video reports that the cost to complete the Bella Vista Bypass has crept up to $35 million - $40 million, and an AHTD spokesperson indicates that AHTD is "working behind the scenes" with MoDOT to get it built.

Alas, AHTD's "behind the scenes" effort does not include cooperating on an application for a FASTLANE grant this round. MoDOT's email reply to a question about MoDOT's applications this time:

MoDOT is submitting one application jointly with St Louis Freightway for the Merchants RR Bridge in St Louis.
All public agencies are able to submit applications. The only one I am aware of is the City of West Plains was interested in creating some grade separations between road and rail. I believe they are submitting an application but it is not going through MoDOT offices.

Maybe next time ........

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on May 11, 2016, 09:40:35 PM
Here is a snip from uozzim's corrected link:

Let's hope the Trunp infrastructure plan covers the Bella Vista Bypass because the 2018-22 MoDOT Southwest District Rural Project List Draft STIP has moved the Award Date for the Bella Vista Bypass from 2020 to 2021 (p. 24/48 of pdf):

M86

Quote from: US71 on November 30, 2016, 09:17:49 PM

The City of Bentonville (who they hired) is behind the designing of that interchange and (to my knowledge) Exit 86 to the south, it's a package deal.

It's ridiculous.  I contacted both AHTD and the City of Bentonville and the City of Rogers concerning US 62 to the east of I-49.

I got nothing.  And anyone who has driven on 14th/Hudson east of I-49 in Rogers knows that it's a mess.  I've sat hours in front of NWACC.  And I viewed the plans, and they do NOT address the traffic issues on the east side of I-49 at Exit 86.

But that's what happens when you have an agency that isn't connected to the state government. 

mvak36

Quote from: Grzrd on May 05, 2017, 07:05:18 PM
Let's hope the Trunp infrastructure plan covers the Bella Vista Bypass because the 2018-22 MoDOT Southwest District Rural Project List Draft STIP has moved the Award Date for the Bella Vista Bypass from 2020 to 2021 (p. 24/48 of pdf):

No surprise there. ***Pessimism alert***: I think that the Award Date will probably be after 2021 unless something changes in the state legislature or the Trump infrastructure plan includes this project, like Grzrd stated above. The legislature is dead set against raising the gas tax.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

intelati49

:banghead:

God. I'm super freaking annoyed right now.

1. The gas tax hasn't been raised in 20 years
2. MOdot had the monies five years ago.
:ded:

mvak36

Quote from: intelati49 on May 06, 2017, 07:25:15 PM

That's because they're paying off bonds from the 2000's that were used to build I-64 and the I-70 bridge. etc.,  For now, approximately 200 million per year goes to pay those off.

The legislature could put the gas tax to a public vote if they wanted to, but they're not even letting it get that far. They're using the failed 2014 ballot initiative (which would have raised the sales tax 0.75% on everybody) as an excuse to say that people don't want to pay more taxes :rolleyes:. Anyways I don't think they're gonna do anything about the roads right now because they're too busy screwing over unions and any other people that are a threat to their donors.

Sorry for the mini-political rant there. I will try to refrain from those in the future.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

intelati49

Quote from: mvak36 on May 06, 2017, 10:47:43 PM
Quote from: intelati49 on May 06, 2017, 07:25:15 PM

That's because they're paying off bonds from the 2000's that were used to build I-64 and the I-70 bridge. etc.,  For now, approximately 200 million per year goes to pay those off.

The legislature could put the gas tax to a public vote if they wanted to, but they're not even letting it get that far. They're using the failed 2014 ballot initiative (which would have raised the sales tax 0.75% on everybody) as an excuse to say that people don't want to pay more taxes :rolleyes:. Anyways I don't think they're gonna do anything about the roads right now because they're too busy screwing over unions and any other people that are a threat to their donors.

Sorry for the mini-political rant there. I will try to refrain from those in the future.

I know. That's what makes it even more irritating​....

Damned politics.

But, no. It's helpful

I-39

Sorry if this has already been asked, but are there long-range plans for I-49 to be re-routed along MO 249/171 to eliminate the duplex with I-44?

intelati49

Quote from: I-39 on May 09, 2017, 10:21:25 AM
Sorry if this has already been asked, but are there long-range plans for I-49 to be re-routed along MO 249/171 to eliminate the duplex with I-44?

The only evidence I have seen are quotes. I don't think it's going to get done for several decades now.

silverback1065

that doesn't even seem that hard to fix, just a flyover and realign the sb movement, it wouldn't be full access though

intelati49

Sure yeah, but it's not a priority right now. The only thing that's bad about 49 right now is the weave on the cloverleaf heading north/east.

And the whole interchange needs work {{citationneeded}}

Henry

IIRC, wasn't it AR that said they were going to wait until MO built its own section of the Bella Vista Bypass? Also, I find it annoying that opposition continues to mount against a possible I-49 path into downtown Kansas City, with those dangerous signalized intersections. Something is not right with this picture, with both sides screwed over as it is.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

US71

Quote from: intelati49 on May 09, 2017, 01:01:49 PM
Sure yeah, but it's not a priority right now. The only thing that's bad about 49 right now is the weave on the cloverleaf heading north/east.

You mean the Traffic Circle? a definite Clusterf*ck

intelati49

Quote from: US71 on June 11, 2017, 12:00:49 AM

In Missouri at 44 mm18?

But yeah, the roundabout in AR is annoying

US71

Quote from: intelati49 on June 11, 2017, 01:24:04 PM
Quote from: US71 on June 11, 2017, 12:00:49 AM

In Missouri at 44 mm18?

But yeah, the roundabout in AR is annoying

Definitely antiquated. May have been OK when it was built, but now it's not

I-39

Quote from: Henry on June 10, 2017, 11:30:44 PM
Also, I find it annoying that opposition continues to mount against a possible I-49 path into downtown Kansas City, with those dangerous signalized intersections. Something is not right with this picture, with both sides screwed over as it is.

I don't think the opposition to upgrading US 71/Bruce Watkins Drive is there anymore.

In any case, they need to override any existing agreements and declare that since US 71 is now an Interstate south of the area (it wasn't when the improvements were made), they need to upgrade to full Interstate standards on Bruce Watkins for safety issues.

Bobby5280

For the predominately black neighborhood surrounding Bruce Watkins Drive on the South side of Kansas City, it's very easy to see both the pros and cons of completing I-49 through that part of the city.

The pro's side of the argument are what most of us only see. Bruce Watkins Drive would obviously be much safer and much easier to travel if I-49 was completed into downtown Kansas City. There is no debate about that. It's an undeniable fact. In my own opinion for that reason alone I-49 should be completed into downtown Kansas City. Traffic safety trumps everything else.

More pro's to the argument, having an Interstate going through a certain area of the city would enhance economic development. There's lots of small cities and towns elsewhere in the United States just crying to be added directly into the Interstate highway system. Having an Interstate highway running through your town puts your town on the map. Building a new Interstate highway through that run down part of Kansas City might bring about a lot of new investment and new economic development. Extending I-49 through there could revitalize that area.

The con's: people in that part of town are trying to just survive. If I-49 was extended through there, just how many people in that local neighborhood would be involved in any of the economic revitalization? Would the black folks still be able to afford to stay there?

How many poor, black people in that neighborhood would be eligible to move up into better paying jobs? Or would the neighborhood go through a transformation where the black residents are pushed out in favor of new luxury condos and office complexes for mostly white folks? That's really the ultimate fear. The folks who want I-49 to get built into Kansas City have done little if anything to address the fears of people living in those neighborhoods. Living costs in big cities are getting way the hell out of hand. If someone is living in a rent-controlled apartment on very limited means you can bet he will fight like hell to keep anything from disrupting that arrangement.

Looking at it from the perspective of people who live in that neighborhood they see a completed freeway, as well as the new malls and condos and office towers and all sorts of other stuff that sprout up alongside of it, as a way of pushing them out of the neighborhood.

A really skillful politician could get the highway completed through that area and set up conditions so it wouldn't disrupt the lives of people who have been living in that neighborhood for a long time. The goal should be only about getting the highway completed, not adding a bunch of douchebag yuppie, let's get rich real estate crap along for the ride.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.