News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

PA Turnpike News

Started by mightyace, February 16, 2009, 05:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigRedDog

Drove to Somerset yesterday and noticed some road work going on and did some research. PTC is redesigning the access road at the Somerset interchange. I would say this is something that needed done as the area in front of the toll plazas near Waterworks and Laurel Crest Roads was not the safest intersection.

Apparently, this is somewhat old news, but it was new to me and I didn't see anything on the forum about it.

More information from the (Somerset) Daily American: http://articles.dailyamerican.com/2012-04-10/news/31321550_1_turnpike-traffic-turnpike-access-road-somerset-turnpike-interchange

qguy

I agree with most of that article. It seems no elements of PA's highway system, by either PennDOT or the PTC, are designed with aesthetic considerations in minde. Bridge piers, parapets, and railings (or lack thereof) are especially numbing.

One of the things I really despise is driving over some high bridge, with what should be a great view of the surrounding countryside (or uban landscape), and not being able to see any of it due to a high solid parapet wall instead of a parapet with railing.

The biggest contrast between the old and new service plaza buildings are that the new ones are a lot more spacious than the old ones. Some of the old ones were downright claustrophobia-inducing. But the new ones don't have much charm, that's for sure. They look nice from the outside, but kind of clunky from the inside.

qguy

Quote from: BigRedDog on June 11, 2012, 03:26:13 PM
Drove to Somerset yesterday and noticed some road work going on and did some research. PTC is redesigning the access road at the Somerset interchange. I would say this is something that needed done as the area in front of the toll plazas near Waterworks and Laurel Crest Roads was not the safest intersection.

Apparently, this is somewhat old news, but it was new to me and I didn't see anything on the forum about it.

More information from the (Somerset) Daily American: http://articles.dailyamerican.com/2012-04-10/news/31321550_1_turnpike-traffic-turnpike-access-road-somerset-turnpike-interchange

The term "free-for-all" used in the article describes the old configuation perfectly. It always reminded me of those large concourses you see in old photos or engravings, with traffic able to go every which way and usually doing so.

PAHighways

Turnpike Crews Use Magnet Truck to Clear Nails from Road

Just another unusual incident along this section of the Turnpike over the past year.

qguy

Quote from: PAHighways on June 11, 2012, 07:31:58 PM
Just another unusual incident along this section of the Turnpike over the past year.

From my experience working with PennDOT maintenance employees, they and PTC maintenance crews don't need to be on the job very long to have seen it all. And just when they think they've seen it all, something beyond even their wacko previous experience comes along to prove them wrong.

I've seen more disbelieving headshaking...

Mr_Northside

http://triblive.com/home/1987360-74/turnpike-route-traffic-bridge-130-detour-east-fox-irwin-lane

While an overnight closure isn't something I'd usually bother to post... I am intrigued at who came up with their official detour:
QuoteThe Turnpike recommends the following detour for eastbound traffic exiting at Pittsburgh, exit 57: Route 22 east to Turnpike 66 south to Route 30 west. Drivers can re-enter the Turnpike at the Irwin interchange and follow signs for Harrisburg and east.
Westbound is just the reverse of that

Except for the drivers heading to the Irwin exit itself, It seems to be pretty dumb to drive all the way back west to Irwin on US-30 (and it's traffic signals), instead of just taking TPK-66 the whole way to New Stanton.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

ARMOURERERIC

I'm at Greater Pitt, GATe C-51 reading that now, thought the same thing

MrDisco99

Quote from: qguy on June 11, 2012, 03:28:58 PM
The biggest contrast between the old and new service plaza buildings are that the new ones are a lot more spacious than the old ones. Some of the old ones were downright claustrophobia-inducing. But the new ones don't have much charm, that's for sure. They look nice from the outside, but kind of clunky from the inside.

I kinda hope they leave the Midway south service plaza building alone.  When it first opened, it was pretty special, but now it's just another crowded service area.  I realize it's slated to be renovated soon and could easily be torn down and replaced with a bigger building with a proper food court and cheesy postmodern accents.  Would be nice if they kept the building, though, as something historic from the original turnpike... maybe put a little turnpike history museum in it, or even bring back a sit down restaurant... something quaint for the road trippers.

qguy

Quote from: MrDisco99 on June 13, 2012, 11:12:41 PM
I kinda hope they leave the Midway south service plaza building alone.

I believe they are keeping the original building at Midway South. And rightfully so. I think it's on the historic register. (Can anyone confirm this?)

PAHighways

PAHighways

Compulov

^^^

I wonder if this sort of thing is going to become more commonplace as AET is implemented on the Turnpike (and other toll roads/bridges such as Scudder Falls). Maybe they should start doing what speed cameras do and take picture of the driver's seat of a violating vehicle. It might not necessarily help you identify the violator, but you could file it away should the violator ever get caught (and allow you to amend many counts of violations). I don't like tolls as much as the next guy, but damnit, if I have to pay them, you do too!

PHLBOS

Exerpt from PAHighway's posted link:
Caughey reported in court documents that when he touched the plate after it suddenly appeared, he noticed it could retract up behind the bumper. The device also was affixed on the trailer, police said.

Sounds like something out of the James Bond film Goldfinger.

GPS does NOT equal GOD

vdeane

Did he find bulletproof glass, missile launchers, and eject-able seats too?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

roadman65

I see all the bridges over the NE Extension are being either rehabilitated or replaced using nice stone work on the retaining walls for the finishing touch.  I was on it two weeks ago and   saw all of it including the widening from Exits 20 to 31.  I am amazed at how many vehicles use the road  at first when you enter it from 276 and then when you finally get past Wilkes- Barre you have the road completely to yourself almost. Each of the exits along the extension take vehicles away from the flow making it that way, so it is apparent that this widening is mandatory.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

qguy

Widening the NE Extension was needed 20 years ago. It's long past needing it. The PTC is so far behind the power curve on adding capacity there (especially from Mid-County to I-78) that it's practically a crime. And at the current pace, it's not getting ahead of the curve, that's fur shur.

I drove the entire Extension (including the segment from Wilkes-Barre to Clarks Summit) last Saturday. Northbound in the morning and southbound in the early evening. It was choked to I-78, OK from I-78 to I-81 (at W-B), and virtually empty from I-81 to I-81 (uh, W-B to Clarks Summit). I don't drive the Extension north of W-B very often, but when I do I'm always shocked anew to see how devoid of traffic that stretch is.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: qguy on June 29, 2012, 01:25:05 PM
Widening the NE Extension was needed 20 years ago. It's long past needing it. The PTC is so far behind the power curve on adding capacity there (especially from Mid-County to I-78) that it's practically a crime. And at the current pace, it's not getting ahead of the curve, that's fur shur.

Why isn't this an issue in elections for Governor of Pennsylvania and in the legislative districts along the N.E. Extension from I-276 up to U.S. 22 (since the PTC doesn't see fit to provide a direct connection from the Turnpike to I-78)?
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Speaking of the Northeast Extension, there's this about Exit 31 (Lansdale).

TOLLROADSnews: IC sign name in contention in PA
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Compulov

Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 12, 2012, 07:07:11 PM
TOLLROADSnews: IC sign name in contention in PA

I could actually see them changing the name of the interchange, though I think Lansdale should remain as the control city. It's not like they haven't done this before... the current Bensalem interchange was once the Philadelphia interchange.

Post Merge: July 12, 2012, 09:11:37 PM

Edit: Or the turnpike could just get rid of the interchange names entirely... which would drive my girlfriend insane. I'll say something about the 611 or 309 interchange and she's like huh? Hasn't a clue unless I say Willow Grove or Fort Washington.

jemacedo9

Quick note about this interchange...this was Exit 31 back when PA exit numbers were sequential, and this happens to be MP 31 on I-476, so the number didn't change.  When the exit numbers changed, the added signs stating OLD EXIT ##. 

They actually created and installed an OLD EXIT 31 sign at EXIT 31.  One of the BGS to the south may still have one...

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Compulov on July 12, 2012, 08:23:55 PM
Edit: Or the turnpike could just get rid of the interchange names entirely... which would drive my girlfriend insane. I'll say something about the 611 or 309 interchange and she's like huh? Hasn't a clue unless I say Willow Grove or Fort Washington.

I hope not. 

There are many things about the Pennsylvania Turnpike that are deficient, but naming of interchanges is one thing that I like and respect about the (mainline) Turnpike system (I don't think that interchanges on the PTC's branches and spurs in Southwest Pennsylvania have names).

Mr_Northside

Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 13, 2012, 12:23:16 PM
Quote from: Compulov on July 12, 2012, 08:23:55 PM

I hope not. 

There are many things about the Pennsylvania Turnpike that are deficient, but naming of interchanges is one thing that I like and respect about the (mainline) Turnpike system
I agree.

Quote(I don't think that interchanges on the PTC's branches and spurs in Southwest Pennsylvania have names).

Correct.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Alex

Quote from: jemacedo9 on July 12, 2012, 09:20:13 PM
Quick note about this interchange...this was Exit 31 back when PA exit numbers were sequential, and this happens to be MP 31 on I-476, so the number didn't change.  When the exit numbers changed, the added signs stating OLD EXIT ##. 

They actually created and installed an OLD EXIT 31 sign at EXIT 31.  One of the BGS to the south may still have one...

Reading this, I had to go back and look at my 2004/2005 photos of I-476 and sure enough, I found one with what you remembered.

Sign posted along I-476 northbound, photo taken May 7, 2005.

NE2

Nice. Double redundancy.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

jemacedo9

That's the one!  AND...They have replaced some of the BGSs of that exit with Clearview.  I don't remember if they've replaced that one and/or removed the OLD EXIT 31 sign below.

But this reminds me of another question - that sign has always left a blank space for another destination.  I know that decades ago, there was a proposed North Penn Expwy that was either going to be part of a US 202 expressway, or just an expressway connecting the NE Ext to PA 309 towards the northwest. 

They are now building a couple of short two-lane roads, and rebuilding a couple of others, to build a connection from PA 309 near Souderton to PA 63 just west of this exit.  http://www.pa309connector.com/

Anyone know what the blank destination was supposed to be?  Souderton?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.