News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Defunct restaurant chains and retailers

Started by Stephane Dumas, September 05, 2016, 03:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flint1979

Last time I went to a Steak N Shake was the one in Auburn Hills, Michigan on Christmas Day 2017. I waited forever to get waited on and it really wasn't even that busy. My usual Flint spot (Starlite Coney Island) was closed for the day.

Rothman

In-N-Out is overrated.

Five Guys and Steak 'N Shake kick it in the tush.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hbelkins

Quote from: Rothman on January 10, 2018, 08:25:56 PM
In-N-Out is overrated.

Never had In-N-Out, but to me Whataburger is overrated.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Flint1979

I had Whataburger when I was in Texas. It was decent.

SAMSUNG-SM-J727A

abefroman329

Quote from: sparker on January 10, 2018, 04:24:02 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on January 10, 2018, 09:13:22 AM
If you're in CA, why go to Steak 'N' Shake when you could go to In-N-Out Burger?
Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 10, 2018, 09:17:32 AM
He lives in California.  Why would he go to the same place every time?  You live in Chicago?  How about you live on Chicago Pizza every day?

I like a lot of burger joints -- discovered In'n'Out when they were just in the San Gabriel Valley and Inland Empire back in the '60's when I was attending UC Riverside -- and have been going there since.  But I also like Fuddruckers (they're down to one Fremont store locally at this time); if it's really convenient, a Carl's Jr. (Super Star, no tomato!) works quite well -- most of the other national chains are avoided when possible.  And I grew up on Bob's Big Boy -- which has all but disappeared in CA; when I'm back east, I'll stop at an Elby's for that particular cuisine if there's one around (their outlet on I-90 in Erie, PA -- at the PA 97 exit -- was one of my regular lunch/dinner treats!).  I do like to spread my burger experience around a bit -- which is why I regret not having the opportunity to hit a local Steak & Shake -- I might hit the SJSU mini-site some time -- if I can park close enough!

Big Boy is thriving in Michigan, and the menu is very close to what it was in the past.  I think they have various burgers on the menu styled after the burgers served at the various Big Boys (Marc's, Bob's, Frisch's, etc.) over the years.

abefroman329

Quote from: hbelkins on January 10, 2018, 08:36:53 PM
In-N-Out is overrated.

I can't remember if I've had Fatburger or Whataburger, but whichever it was, yes, it's overrated.

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

kphoger

In-N-Out is overrated.

Absolutely!

I hate Whataburger fries.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

formulanone

...Whataburger is overrated.

Yeah, I don't get it. Other than seeming like the inspiration to Burger King's Whopper, it's just an average fast food burger with dry fries.

ftballfan

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 11, 2018, 10:05:49 AM
If you're in CA, why go to Steak 'N' Shake when you could go to In-N-Out Burger?
He lives in California.  Why would he go to the same place every time?  You live in Chicago?  How about you live on Chicago Pizza every day?

I like a lot of burger joints -- discovered In'n'Out when they were just in the San Gabriel Valley and Inland Empire back in the '60's when I was attending UC Riverside -- and have been going there since.  But I also like Fuddruckers (they're down to one Fremont store locally at this time); if it's really convenient, a Carl's Jr. (Super Star, no tomato!) works quite well -- most of the other national chains are avoided when possible.  And I grew up on Bob's Big Boy -- which has all but disappeared in CA; when I'm back east, I'll stop at an Elby's for that particular cuisine if there's one around (their outlet on I-90 in Erie, PA -- at the PA 97 exit -- was one of my regular lunch/dinner treats!).  I do like to spread my burger experience around a bit -- which is why I regret not having the opportunity to hit a local Steak & Shake -- I might hit the SJSU mini-site some time -- if I can park close enough!

Big Boy is thriving in Michigan, and the menu is very close to what it was in the past.  I think they have various burgers on the menu styled after the burgers served at the various Big Boys (Marc's, Bob's, Frisch's, etc.) over the years.
Big Boy is diminished somewhat from its peak, but it's doing better than Kmart. BB seems to be doing best in smallish communities that don't have Bob Evans, Denny's, Cracker Barrel, or IHOP

Flint1979

Quote from: ftballfan on January 11, 2018, 11:52:39 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on January 11, 2018, 10:05:49 AM
There are five Big Boy's within about 30 miles of me. Clio, Bay City, Essexville, Midland and Bridgeport. To me I'm kind of surprised that the Essexville and Bridgeport one's are still open. Bridgeport's though is at an exit off I-75 but Essexville's is in a part of Bay County that doesn't seem like it'd be doing too well. I forgot another one in Caro that one is still open.

I don't think any of them are open 24 hours which is probably handicapping them from going against Denny's or IHOP completely. I thought the one on Plymouth Road in Ann Arbor was open 24 hours but they don't look to be anymore.

Big Boy is diminished somewhat from its peak, but it's doing better than Kmart. BB seems to be doing best in smallish communities that don't have Bob Evans, Denny's, Cracker Barrel, or IHOP

abefroman329

Quote from: Flint1979 on January 12, 2018, 01:11:34 PM
There are five Big Boy's within about 30 miles of me. Clio, Bay City, Essexville, Midland and Bridgeport. To me I'm kind of surprised that the Essexville and Bridgeport one's are still open. Bridgeport's though is at an exit off I-75 but Essexville's is in a part of Bay County that doesn't seem like it'd be doing too well. I forgot another one in Caro that one is still open.

I don't think any of them are open 24 hours which is probably handicapping them from going against Denny's or IHOP completely. I thought the one on Plymouth Road in Ann Arbor was open 24 hours but they don't look to be anymore.

Based on my visits in recent years, I'd say their clientele is probably largely asleep by 8 pm.

Apropos of nothing, I'm suddenly remembering trips to Shoney's for the late-night breakfast buffet 25 years ago.

Flint1979

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 12, 2018, 02:13:58 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on January 12, 2018, 01:11:34 PM

Based on my visits in recent years, I'd say their clientele is probably largely asleep by 8 pm.

Apropos of nothing, I'm suddenly remembering trips to Shoney's for the late-night breakfast buffet 25 years ago.
Most Big Boy's stay open until 11 or midnight. And as for Shoney's I remember the one here it closed in the late 90's, became a Lone Star, and is now an IHOP. Pretty good place to eat especially if you were traveling. Big Boy could do fine being open 24/7 in the Detroit area competing with Denny's, Ram's Horn and IHOP mostly.

1995hoo

Quote from: Flint1979 on January 12, 2018, 02:55:21 PM
Most Big Boy's stay open until 11 or midnight. And as for Shoney's I remember the one here it closed in the late 90's, became a Lone Star, and is now an IHOP. Pretty good place to eat especially if you were traveling. Big Boy could do fine being open 24/7 in the Detroit area competing with Denny's, Ram's Horn and IHOP mostly.

Ram's Horn? I'm curious now, is or was that a national chain or is that something local to Detroit? There used to be a diner called the Ram's Horn Diner at the corner of Beach Channel Drive and Beach 116 Street in Queens near the Rockaway Park subway station; I believe an HSBC now occupies the property. My grandmother lived in Far Rockaway and liked that diner for some reason (perhaps because it was easily accessible by public transit since she didn't drive?). I always thought it was just a local place.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Flint1979

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 12, 2018, 03:22:36 PM

Ram's Horn? I'm curious now, is or was that a national chain or is that something local to Detroit? There used to be a diner called the Ram's Horn Diner at the corner of Beach Channel Drive and Beach 116 Street in Queens near the Rockaway Park subway station; I believe an HSBC now occupies the property. My grandmother lived in Far Rockaway and liked that diner for some reason (perhaps because it was easily accessible by public transit since she didn't drive?). I always thought it was just a local place.
It's a Detroit chain. They tried having locations in a couple of other parts of Michigan like Port Huron and Saginaw but they closed those one's years ago. This is their website http://www.ramshornrestaurants.com/

1995hoo

Quote from: Flint1979 on January 12, 2018, 03:34:31 PM

It's a Detroit chain. They tried having locations in a couple of other parts of Michigan like Port Huron and Saginaw but they closed those one's years ago. This is their website http://www.ramshornrestaurants.com/

Thanks for that. Unrelated, then.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Flint1979

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 12, 2018, 03:47:48 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on January 12, 2018, 03:34:31 PM

Thanks for that. Unrelated, then.
No problem. Yeah Ram's Horn is almost like a Denny's or IHOP really.

PHLBOS

Quote from: ftballfan on December 17, 2017, 07:15:35 PMAmes went from 700 stores in 1998 to chapter 7 bankruptcy in 2002. One of the quickest falls in retail history
To clarify: Chapter 11 is bankruptcy (for businesses), Chapter 7 is liquidation.  I'm assuming you meant liquidation.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

SectorZ

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 12, 2018, 04:09:05 PM
Quote from: ftballfan on December 17, 2017, 07:15:35 PMAmes went from 700 stores in 1998 to chapter 7 bankruptcy in 2002. One of the quickest falls in retail history
To clarify: Chapter 11 is bankruptcy (for businesses), Chapter 7 is liquidation.  I'm assuming you meant liquidation.

That confusion is common thanks to poor media reporting.

PatTheSplasher

cl94

Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

roadman65

Quote from: kphoger on January 11, 2018, 01:51:55 PM
In-N-Out is overrated.

Absolutely!

Go to Red Robin, you get all u can eat with an entrée purchase!  They are not bad for unlimited. 
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

sparker

Quote from: roadman65 on January 13, 2018, 07:44:39 PM
In-N-Out is overrated.

Absolutely!

Go to Red Robin, you get all u can eat with an entrée purchase!  They are not bad for unlimited. 

Got a new burger chain out here called Habit; recently tried them -- the portions and meat were OK, but there wasn't much in the way of taste (they simply use mustard/mayo but sparingly); and their fries were pretty soggy (I do like In-n-Out fries!).  Think I'll stick with In-n-Out, which is currently embroiled in a controversy in Campbell; they want to put an outlet in (it would be the closest to my home), but the location (a defunct bar-and-grill that would be torn down), adjacent to CA 17, isn't looked upon too well by some locals who fear drive-through lines out onto the street.  The chain likes the property because the location includes a huge parking lot.  We'll have to see who wins this fight; apparently the Campbell planning commission is split on the matter.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman65 on January 13, 2018, 07:44:39 PM
In-N-Out is overrated.

Absolutely!

After trying many of their pricier burgers, my favorites continue to be the $6.99 Tavern Doubles.  Thinner meat patties, but still very tasty.  And unlimited fries with their dry seasoning, which is what I really crave.

Yes, I will probably die before my time.  But I'm not living a life of just salads (on which I sprinkle that Red Robin seasoning anyway! lol).

jp the roadgeek

I tried Steak & Shake when I went out to Indy a couple of years ago.  Cheap, but not very filling.  If it weren't for the shake, I felt like I could have eaten 5 burgers.  Closest ones to me are near Trenton and in the Lehigh Valley.

Never tried In & Out or Whataburger.  My friend from Houston, the Texan that he is, swears by it.  My CT friend went to one in San Antonio and almost gagged.  He told my Houston friend how bad it was, and it might as well have been Al Chervic calling it dog food and the chef reacting. 

Five Guys is a good burger, but can do a little less on the grease.  I'm waiting for a Shake Shack to open near me in part of a closed down Sears location.  There's one in downtown New Haven, but it's not worth the parking hassle.   Hear good things, but I want to see if it's for real or just hype.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.