News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Columbia (SC) to Columbia (River) trip

Started by fungus, May 03, 2021, 05:57:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fungus

I'm co-driving with a friend who is moving from Columiba, SC to the Columbia River area (Hood River, OR to be specific). They are putting most of the stuff in a pod so it's just us two and a pair of cats in a CRV headed west. We're leaving tomorrow. We've already decided on the I-26/I-40/I-65/I-74/I-80/I-15/I-84 route generally, to avoid KC and St Louis Missouri traffic. I have to fly back home on Saturday night from Portland so this will necessarily only take five driving days.

Omaha to Indianapolis seems to be the most interesting in terms of choices of parallel routes - the all interstate I-74 to I-80 route or I-72/US-36/I-29, or US-34 to Lincoln.

Given the pace we have to cover there's not much to stop but it would be nice to get a change of scenery in the middle of the trip. Is this viable?

Also, my driving partner was advised to use the I-80 crossing of the Rockies as this is the least treacherous compared to I-70. Is this the case?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

webny99

Quote from: fungus on May 03, 2021, 05:57:08 PM
Also, my driving partner was advised to use the I-80 crossing of the Rockies as this is the least treacherous compared to I-70. Is this the case?

Don't have any personal experience here, but I-80 in WY is less mountainous than I-70 in CO, and would also be shorter to get to/from I-84.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.