News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Southern Ohio: SR 823 / Portsmouth Bypass

Started by seicer, June 17, 2013, 02:14:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buck87

They just posted a new flyover video today that was shot on March 16

Hot Rod Hootenanny

From a couple of months back...
http://www.portsmouth-dailytimes.com/news/25369/bypass-is-ahead-of-schedule

And a reminder to H.B...
QuoteWhile Fuller declined to give a new completion date, she said an announcement should arrive by early summer. The project had originally been scheduled to open in November 2018.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

hbelkins

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on May 10, 2018, 10:10:58 PM
From a couple of months back...
http://www.portsmouth-dailytimes.com/news/25369/bypass-is-ahead-of-schedule

And a reminder to H.B...
QuoteWhile Fuller declined to give a new completion date, she said an announcement should arrive by early summer. The project had originally been scheduled to open in November 2018.

I'm on Ms. Fuller's mailing list (dating back from the time that I was filling in as PIO for KYTC District 9, which is in northeastern Kentucky and border's ODOT District 9, so I get her weekly construction updates.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

seicer

Looking impressive. I wonder if it will continue the 70 MPH speed limit set along US 52 east of SR 140 exit?

vtk

It's a similar road to the Nelsonville Bypass, which has a 70MPH speed limit.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Buck87

I'm pretty sure it has been announced that this bypass will have a 70 mph speed limit

Bitmapped

Quote from: Buck87 on May 13, 2018, 08:40:32 AM
I'm pretty sure it has been announced that this bypass will have a 70 mph speed limit

ODOT's standard has been to design freeways with a 70mph design speed, even when the highest Ohio would post was 65mph.

JustMePatrick

A new flyover video has been posted at www.pgg823.com, done on July 11th.  Project as a whole is %93 complete as of July 1, 2018.  Looks like the Minford/Airport Interchange still has a lot of earth work still yet to finish up.

4 Bridges are at less then 100% complete with Bridge 11 at 81% and Bridge 6 at 92%. Bridges 13 and 4 are 60% or less.

Image below linked from www.pgg823.com, as of the time of this post the image had been to date through 7/1/2018:

sparker

Looks like a lot of "finish" work (planting of cut hillsides, etc.) needs to be done before the project is indeed complete.  Nevertheless, nice video -- can see that an actual plane was involved rather than the drone more commonly employed for this type of work. 

Cool choice of music for the video, particularly the first segment.  When I was attending UCR in the late '60's, the "surf" musician Dick Dale had a nightclub alongside US 395 near March AFB; used to hang out there in my early years at the university (no cover and they weren't terribly strict or efficient at checking ID's!).  Saw Dale himself perform Pipeline a couple of times -- seems that all musicians in that genre freely covered each others' tunes.   

vtk

vtk

Guide signs for the new road are up on US 23. Destination for OH 823 south is Ironton.

Buck87

Quote from: vtk on August 23, 2018, 09:22:26 PM
Guide signs for the new road are up on US 23. Destination for OH 823 south is Ironton.

Interesting, thanks.

Does it have "To US 52 East" on it?

Buck87

On the topic of signage, I'm particularly interested in seeing what the signage will be like for the Lucasville-Minford Rd interchange (CR 28)

Scioto County has a pretty unique (for Ohio at least) county road shield and I'd love to see it appear on the signs for this exit along with "Lucasville-Minford Rd" and no control cities listed since the name of the road covers that.

The Shumway Hollow Rd interchange will be interesting to see as well, as it is CR 234, but the main purpose of the interchange is to serve the adjacent OH 335, which is probably more likely to appear on the signage. Would be cool to see "234" TO "335" though.

And as a side note, I don't think the Scioto County shield appears on any existing BGS.....there are a couple places where they could have done that along US 52, but those exits don't mention roads at all, they just say "Wheelersburg" and "Franklin Furnace"

Bitmapped

Quote from: Buck87 on September 21, 2018, 01:07:24 PM
On the topic of signage, I'm particularly interested in seeing what the signage will be like for the Lucasville-Minford Rd interchange (CR 28)

Scioto County has a pretty unique (for Ohio at least) county road shield and I'd love to see it appear on the signs for this exit along with "Lucasville-Minford Rd" and no control cities listed since the name of the road covers that.

The Shumway Hollow Rd interchange will be interesting to see as well, as it is CR 234, but the main purpose of the interchange is to serve the adjacent OH 335, which is probably more likely to appear on the signage. Would be cool to see "234" TO "335" though.

And as a side note, I don't think the Scioto County shield appears on any existing BGS.....there are a couple places where they could have done that along US 52, but those exits don't mention roads at all, they just say "Wheelersburg" and "Franklin Furnace"

Ohio tends to spell out county road names as text much more frequently than they use shields. I don't see any chance of the actual Scioto County shield appearing on a BGS.

JustMePatrick

I was through there around the end of August. Got a couple of vids of the signage on my way through both times.   I am attaching a couple of screen shots.

As you said SB 23 signage has Ironton.  NB is signed Chillicothe.

I may be through there again in October and December.
Quote from: vtk on August 23, 2018, 09:22:26 PM

SM-N950U

qguy

Shumway Hollow Road... Is that named after Gordon Shumway, the famous television actor?

sparker

Quote from: qguy on September 22, 2018, 08:21:44 PM
Shumway Hollow Road... Is that named after Gordon Shumway, the famous television actor?

You mean the cat-loving (in a comestible sense) overgrown hand puppet?  Or possibly the maiden name of Mary Hartman - Mary Hartman on the late '70's series of that name?  Either way, a crazy trip in the wayback machine!  :spin:

seicer

The bypass can be seen in its entire route from whatever satellite image service Mapper Acme now uses: http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=38.82020,-82.95214&z=12&t=S

The terminuses are probably one good indication regarding how dead I-73 is in Ohio.

JustMePatrick

New Flyover video has posted at www.pgg823.com flyover occurred Sept., 11th. Project Details shows overall project at 97% complete, indicates bridges at 100%, however a couple of them are at 99% and one at 93% complete. 

Interchange next to the airport finally taking shape with asphalt being laid.

sparker

Quote from: seicer on October 11, 2018, 02:31:04 PM
The bypass can be seen in its entire route from whatever satellite image service Mapper Acme now uses: http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=38.82020,-82.95214&z=12&t=S

The terminuses are probably one good indication regarding how dead I-73 is in Ohio.
Quote from: JustMePatrick on October 11, 2018, 02:34:51 PM
New Flyover video has posted at www.pgg823.com flyover occurred Sept., 11th. Project Details shows overall project at 97% complete, indicates bridges at 100%, however a couple of them are at 99% and one at 93% complete. 

Nice video as usual.  Must be the same plane/pilot; the position of the prop in the upper right frame is consistent with all the past videos.  This has to be one of if not the most overflown road project ever -- at least on a footage per mile basis.

While the I-73 concept is at least dormant if not extinct in Ohio, the trajectory of the northern (US 23) interchange of this bypass, as mentioned previously, is in line with the original plans for the I-74 equivalent (the merge was right in this area near Lucasville).  Since the latter corridor made at least some sense as a Cincinnati-WV "shortcut" to easterly I-64 -- and could use the existing OH 32 as much of its alignment, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see it revived as an independent concept down the line, utilizing OH 823 to get over to US 52.

The Ghostbuster

They still don't show any of SR-823 on Google Maps. Is anyone surprised?

seicer

It's not open yet. There is no reason to list it on the map as that would confuse their primary audience - those navigating.

--

@Sparker: Would the one-lane ramps kill any sort of proposal? Or the sharp curve going west on SR 823 to north US 23? (I'm assuming it's 40-45 MPH.)

NE2

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 11, 2018, 05:42:22 PM
They still don't show any of SR-823 on Google Maps. Is anyone surprised?

You.

Are.

An.

Idiot.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

sparker

Quote from: seicer on October 11, 2018, 06:47:45 PM
It's not open yet. There is no reason to list it on the map as that would confuse their primary audience - those navigating.

--

@Sparker: Would the one-lane ramps kill any sort of proposal? Or the sharp curve going west on SR 823 to north US 23? (I'm assuming it's 40-45 MPH.)

Actually, if by some chance I-74 were to find its way to the bypass, it wouldn't use any of the US 23 ramps; its trajectory would be in a straight line extending from the angle of the bypass itself -- i.e., straight ahead from the north end of 823.  The original I-74 plans intersected OH 32 near the OH 73 junction, then used the former all the way west to I-275 around Cincinnati.  The principal issue regarding that route is an Ohio River crossing; the original plans for a bridge at Kalama were discarded by 2003 (that would have taken it directly to the US 52 corridor alignment through WV).  Some sort of arrangement would have to be made to place an Interstate-compatible bridge across the river between the southeast end of OH 823 and the present US 52 crossing to Huntington, WV.  At this point, a very tall order indeed; such would have to be included in any overall Interstate extension plans -- which would (a) be a tough sell in OH, and (b) likely be scheduled for no earlier than 2035 or so.  That being said, it's still a hell of lot more likely than anything specifically geared to the I-73 concept.

Buck87

Quote from: JustMePatrick on October 11, 2018, 02:34:51 PM

Nice. I noticed a BGS or two already up along the bypass approaching US 23.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.