News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Crash prone 'modern roundabouts'

Started by tradephoric, May 18, 2015, 02:51:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalvado

Quote from: Rothman on December 26, 2023, 10:27:36 AM
I don't see the grim irony when someone hits the center of the roundabout at high speed, which would be more indicative of reckless/inattentive driving than a problem with the roundabout itself.  The driver could also have blown through a red light and hit another vehicle, possibly causing additional deaths.
Statistics is, of course, a long lost wizardry....

tradephoric

I don't see the grim irony when someone hits the center of the roundabout at high speed, which would be more indicative of reckless/inattentive driving than a problem with the roundabout itself.  The driver could also have blown through a red light and hit another vehicle, possibly causing additional deaths.

Ironic situations according to Alanis Morissette:
A 98 year old man who won the lottery and died the next day...
A death row pardon two minutes too late...
A "No Smoking" sign on your cigarette break...
A ribbon cutting at a roundabout and a fatal crash that same day...

jakeroot

Could have been a medical emergency too. In either case, why should they pay with their life?

kalvado

Quote from: jakeroot on December 26, 2023, 09:57:54 PM

Could have been a medical emergency too. In either case, why should they pay with their life?
Frankly speaking, roundabout isn't the only scenario where loosing control at high speed can be fatal.
The goal of design is to minimize consequences of such mistakes - but individual accident isn't very meaningful without proper statistics.
One can certainly flirt with baessian approach and start making conclusions. But I have to agree with@tradephoric - it's ironic that first fatal crash is logged immediately after safety improvements are completed. Hopefully next one is decades away

Rothman

Medical emergency?  So, they're racing to the hospital?  I still don't see how that's the roundabout's fault.  Ambulance drivers also certainly don't throw all sense out the window when their sirens and lights are on.

Or, if you're saying he had some sort of medical issue while driving, again, if the roundabout wasn't there doesn't mean that he would have survived.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jakeroot

Quote from: Rothman on December 27, 2023, 08:48:05 AM
Or, if you're saying he had some sort of medical issue while driving, again, if the roundabout wasn't there doesn't mean that he would have survived.

Totally, that's why I'm all for being cautious of obstacles near high-speed roadways, as they can all cause serious injury or death. Like roundabouts.

kalvado

Quote from: jakeroot on December 27, 2023, 10:10:05 PM
Quote from: Rothman on December 27, 2023, 08:48:05 AM

Totally, that's why I'm all for being cautious of obstacles near high-speed roadways, as they can all cause serious injury or death. Like roundabouts.
That's exactly why high speed roads have a lot of engineering features to avoid bad outcomes - such as rumble strips, guardrails, medians, jersey barriers and what not.
Maybe we need to hire an engineer to design roundabouts properly? Looks like none are left on DOTs payroll...

jeffandnicole

Quote from: kalvado on December 27, 2023, 02:40:09 AM

Frankly speaking, roundabout isn't the only scenario where loosing control at high speed can be fatal.
The goal of design is to minimize consequences of such mistakes - but individual accident isn't very meaningful without proper statistics.
One can certainly flirt with baessian approach and start making conclusions. But I have to agree with@tradephoric - it's ironic that first fatal crash is logged immediately after safety improvements are completed. Hopefully next one is decades away

Maybe more ironic was per the article, safety improvements had been completed since the summer.  They just held a ribbon cutting ceremony that very day for no other reason than that's what politicians do.

MASTERNC

CalTRANS has a video on its new "turbo roundabout".  On one hand, I can see the issue with lane changes in the roundabouts (which I have witnessed personally, whether inadvertent or intentional).  On the other, seems some of these movements require a 90-degree turn across roundabout traffic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHYo7Bl_zWg

kalvado

Quote from: MASTERNC on January 02, 2024, 12:49:36 PM
CalTRANS has a video on its new "turbo roundabout".  On one hand, I can see the issue with lane changes in the roundabouts (which I have witnessed personally, whether inadvertent or intentional).  On the other, seems some of these movements require a 90-degree turn across roundabout traffic.

This is a pretty standard 3-lane piece of shitty engineering. And good thing there is no snow so they can have those curbstones in the middle of the road. May sheer off some tires...
They say trucks are accounted for, but I have hard time thinking of a truck turning into an inner lane  with that radius.

Rothman

Quote from: kalvado on January 02, 2024, 01:53:46 PM

This is a pretty standard 3-lane piece of shitty engineering. And good thing there is no snow so they can have those curbstones in the middle of the road. May sheer off some tires...
They say trucks are accounted for, but I have hard time thinking of a truck turning into an inner lane  with that radius.
Should have an apron.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kalvado

Quote from: Rothman on January 02, 2024, 02:02:08 PM
Quote from: kalvado on January 02, 2024, 01:53:46 PM

Should have an apron.
There is an apron in the video. But just imagine a heavy 18-wheeler crawling across 3 lanes of traffic and mounting on an apron during the rush hour... Extra points for a tire blown on a curbstone while doing so.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.