News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Phoenix to Tucson

Started by Hoss6884, March 30, 2014, 06:33:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoss6884

I'm planning a work trip that will take me in between Phoenix and Tucson.  Can anyone weigh in on US 60, AZ 79 and AZ 77 as an alternate route to I-10?  I've already clinched that part and I'm looking for something new and different.  Thanks!

corco

I did that a couple times while I lived down in Tucson. 60 is good, it moves pretty fast though there are a couple traffic lights. 79 is a nice drive, quite scenic as it passes through some great Saguaro country.

Once you get on 77 it's traffic light hell, and can be pretty slow moving especially south of about 1st Ave (Oro Valley) depending on time of day. It's not worth it though to take Tangerine all the way out to I-10, fastest still by several minutes just to battle the lights.

That was kind of my neck of the woods up there- I lived at Oracle and Hardy.

Don't know where you're headed in Tucson, but if you're going east from there I'd look into taking Orange Grove to 1st Ave (Tucson) to River to wherever you're going.

If you're headed to the university or downtown, use 77 to Orange Grove to 1st, and then follow first into town. Much faster than taking 77/Oracle all the way in.

If you're headed toward the airport or the base, it'll be fastest to take 77 all the way to I-10, then I-10 around. Don't use Ina to get to I-10.

The absolute worst part, depending on where you're headed, will be Oracle from Ina to Speedway- just avoid that if at all possible, unless you're headed to I-10 to get to the airport/base area.

hm insulators

Another way if you have the time, is take US 60 to Superior, then turn south on Arizona 177 if you want to see some old copper mining towns that are off the beaten track. This hooks up to Arizona 77 at Winkelman and you use that all the way to Tucson.

And it's true about Oracle Road through Tucson. In large part because Tucson doesn't really have a freeway system, traffic there in general is more congested than Phoenix, even though the Tucson area is smaller in population. Tucson is really like a baby Los Angeles in that regard.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

agentsteel53

definitely go through Globe/Miami/Superior uphill.  coming down the hill is just plain annoying when 95% of your attention is focused on never, ever, ever exceeding 35mph because there are speed cameras everywhere.  (explain again how they make driving safer?)
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

JKRhodes

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 08, 2014, 03:14:58 PM
definitely go through Globe/Miami/Superior uphill.  coming down the hill is just plain annoying when 95% of your attention is focused on never, ever, ever exceeding 35mph because there are speed cameras everywhere.  (explain again how they make driving safer?)

Superior still has two fixed cameras, but the fixed cameras in Globe/Miami have been dismantled for quite some time now. I rarely if ever see the van when I go through there. :D

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.