News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Arby's to buy Jimmy John's

Started by US71, September 25, 2019, 01:16:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Inspire Brands owner of Arby's, Buffalo Wild Wings, and Sonic Drive-In has agreed to purchase Jimmy John's

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/25/arbys-owner-inspire-brands-buys-jimmy-johns.html
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

allniter89

Quote from: US71 on September 25, 2019, 01:16:21 PM
Inspire Brands owner of Arby's, Buffalo Wild Wings, and Sonic Drive-In has agreed to purchase Jimmy John's

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/25/arbys-owner-inspire-brands-buys-jimmy-johns.html

JJ opened here months ago. There was alot of hype about how delicious JJs food was but I've never seen more than 2 cars there any time of day. I havent tried the food yet. JJ food opinions?
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

corco

Quote from: allniter89 on September 25, 2019, 01:23:05 PM

JJ opened here months ago. There was alot of hype about how delicious JJs food was but I've never seen more than 2 cars there any time of day. I havent tried the food yet. JJ food opinions?

Below average sandwich for a fair price, they don't treat their workers very well so I try to avoid them

nexus73

JJ's sucks.  Meat is just a rumor.  Go find a deli at a good grocery store and you will get a far better sandwich.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

US71

I don't care for them, myself. They overload the sandwich with "fixins" so you can't taste anything.  I tried to get a sandwich without the "fixins" and they didn't seem to know what I wanted and piled everything on, anyway.

allniter89

Quote from: US71 on September 25, 2019, 01:30:16 PM

I don't care for them, myself. They overload the sandwich with "fixins" so you can't taste anything.  I tried to get a sandwich without the "fixins" and they didn't seem to know what I wanted and piled everything on, anyway.

Years ago I liked Subway, lately, it seems they also overload the fixins.
I'd eat at Taco Bell if there wasn't a sit down Mexican restaurant. I liked TB salad but they changed  some their spices rendering aTB salad uneatble to me & probably 45% of customers.
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

US71

Quote from: allniter89 on September 25, 2019, 02:13:45 PM
Quote from: US71 on September 25, 2019, 01:30:16 PM

Years ago I liked Subway, lately it seems they also overload the fixins.
I'd eat at Taco Bell if there wasnt a sit down Mexican restraunt

Fixins are cheap compared to meat and cheese.

kphoger

I prefer JJ over Subway but I prefer most other sub shops over JJ.  They make a fine cold sandwich, with my only real complaint being that all the stuff tends to keep getting squeezed out the side.

For those who complain about all the toppings overwhelming the meat:  you should try one of their "Slim" subs, which don't come with the veggies.

Also, the thread topic is inaccurate.  Arby's is not buying Jimmy John's.  You might as well say Sonic is buying Jimmy John's.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

US71

Quote from: kphoger on September 25, 2019, 02:19:48 PM
I prefer JJ over Subway but I prefer most other sub shops over JJ.  They make a fine cold sandwich, with my only real complaint being that all the stuff tends to keep getting squeezed out the side.

For those who complain about all the toppings overwhelming the meat:  you should try one of their "Slim" subs, which don't come with the veggies.

Also, the thread topic is inaccurate.  Arby's is not buying Jimmy John's.  You might as well say Sonic is buying Jimmy John's.

So you'd rather it say Arby's PARENT is buying JJ's?  Pretty much the same.

inkyatari

I love Jimmy John's. Much better than Subway.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

hbelkins

Not a fan of Subway. Also not really a fan of JJ's. I guess their big gimmick is that they deliver within a very limited distance.

However, I am a fan of Arby's and Sonic. So JJ's has nowhere to go but up.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Quote from: US71 on September 25, 2019, 02:29:28 PM

Quote from: kphoger on September 25, 2019, 02:19:48 PM

So you'd rather it say Arby's PARENT is buying JJ's?  Pretty much the same.

It would be just as inaccurate to say that Bell Helicopter owns Beechcraft–or, I suppose, that Jeep owns Maserati.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

formulanone

Quote from: kphoger on September 25, 2019, 02:38:30 PM
...I suppose, that Jeep owns Maserati.

Just remember, a "near miss" is a collision.

dcharlie

Love JJ's much more than subway.  Like their bread much better. JJ's cookies are better as well.  Subway's have a chemical taste to me.  Only disappointment for me at JJ's is that you have to request to add cheese to some sandwiches.  Should be included automatically

cl94

Quote from: corco on September 25, 2019, 01:28:09 PM
Below average sandwich for a fair price, they don't treat their workers very well so I try to avoid them

This is about how I feel. I've had Jimmy John's once. Bread was among the worst sandwich bread I have ever had. I would honestly take Subway over JJ any day.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

FightingIrish

webny99

I can't imagine why I would go to Jimmy John's - or worse, Subway - for a sub, when I have the three best sub shops on Earth (Amiels, Dibellas, and Wegmans) all within 10 minutes!

I do recall Jimmy Johns offering delivery years ago, well before most other non-pizza restaurants offered delivery.

KEVIN_224

Been to DiBella's in Newington, CT many times! A bit pricey, but yeah, their sammiches are good! (Only 4 of them in CT and only ones in New England.)

As for Jimmy John's? I don't go there (any in CT?) and then the horror stories about their CEO and his senseless game hunting ways.

US71

Quote from: webny99 on September 25, 2019, 03:59:04 PM
I can't imagine why I would go to Jimmy John's - or worse, Subway - for a sub, when I have the three best sub shops on Earth (Amiels, Dibellas, and Wegmans) all within 10 minutes!

I do recall Jimmy Johns offering delivery years ago, well before most other non-pizza restaurants offered delivery.

We have Firehouse here besides Subway and Jimmy John's. Also Casey's General Store, though I've not tried them. If their pizza is any indication, I'm not sure I'd want to try them.

cl94

DiBella's is consistently excellent. They've been cutting portions back as of late, but it's still a big, high-quality sandwich for a decent price. Definitely a better deal than Subway if you like your meat. Wegmans subs are the exact same as DiBella's.

I like Firehouse, but they sadly closed the closest location. Again, huge portions and good quality.

Jersey Mike's might be the best national chain...if you go to a good one. Fresh-cut meat on fresh rolls. But the local ones leave much to be desired.

As for gas stations, Wawa is the gold standard. Inexpensive and lots of food.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

US71

Quote from: cl94 on September 25, 2019, 07:58:44 PM
DiBella's is consistently excellent. They've been cutting portions back as of late, but it's still a big, high-quality sandwich for a decent price. Definitely a better deal than Subway if you like your meat. Wegmans subs are the exact same as DiBella's.

I like Firehouse, but they sadly closed the closest location. Again, huge portions and good quality.

Jersey Mike's might be the best national chain...if you go to a good one. Fresh-cut meat on fresh rolls. But the local ones leave much to be desired.

As for gas stations, Wawa is the gold standard. Inexpensive and lots of food.

I've heard of Jersey Mike's but have never tried them.

vdeane

I remember when Jimmy John's around here had "customer appreciation day" and was selling all subs for $1.  A coworker who was legendary for big eating was telling everyone who would listen that they should go.  He did have several subs after work, but it seems it was the first time he had ever been to one, since he spent the next day complaining about how little meat they have.

They used to air commercials on the radio emphasizing how fast they deliver.  In one, there was a guy whose house was on fire, so he ordered a ton of subs, and handed each delivery boy a bucket to help fight the fire.  By the time the fire trucks arrived, the fire was put out.

Quote from: webny99 on September 25, 2019, 03:59:04 PM
The Irondequoit Rubino's is really good too - it's become the go-to place to get subs for my parents.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

DaBigE

Jimmy John's is basically another variation of Milio's (upper Midwest chain). For a while a ham & cheese was even the same order number at both places. Quality and price are generally higher than Subway, but quantity is less. I'd still rank Firehouse higher than any of them.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

csw

All you Jimmy John's haters have clearly never tried the #5 with hot peppers. And the bread? Heavenly!

Rothman

I opt for Subway due to it being cheap on road trips.  Don't think much about Jimmy John's.

I do enjoy the chicken parm sub at Niko's in Syracuse, NY though.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.