News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Mexican Highway Shield Vectors

Started by Quillz, September 10, 2010, 12:05:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

US 41

Wow thanks for all the links! It seems like most of these Rural routes are no more than just gravel roads. Someone compared them to FM / RM roads in Texas. I've drove on some FM roads in Texas and to me they seemed just as good as a state highway. It makes me wonder if these Rural routes are actually municipal (county) roads.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

kphoger

I remember some of the SLP ones having a black state shape in the place a route number would typically appear, but all those links I posted show blank space instead. I might be remembering older GSV, meaning those were replaced with newer shields. Too lazy to look through Google Maps' timeline, though.

In answer to the issue upthread about a lack of specs for state highway shields, I agree that it is simply a matter of smoothing out the edges of the federal highway shield. That's what I do, anyway, and the outcome looks very much like real life.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Quote from: US 41 on April 07, 2016, 07:29:44 PM
Wow thanks for all the links! It seems like most of these Rural routes are no more than just gravel roads. Someone compared them to FM / RM roads in Texas. I've drove on some FM roads in Texas and to me they seemed just as good as a state highway. It makes me wonder if these Rural routes are actually municipal (county) roads.

Well, I stopped posting links once I got tired of looking them up yesterday.  Ironically (perhaps), I started up again, working my way south from the city of San Luis Potosí (which is where I left off), and I'm not finding any south of that point.  So it appears to be less of a state thing than a district thing.  That matches up with my firsthand experience in Coahuila:  I've only encountered the tertiary route shields in one part of the state.

And I agree that they appear to be municipal routes rather than state routes.  However, the interplay between state and municipality in México is not something I'm all that much of an expert on, so I can't say for certain there isn't state involvement in funding or maintenance; in fact, I'd assume there is at least some state involvement in both regards.  As to their purpose, I'd say they function basically as FAS routes do in the US:  you could call them tertiary routes or secondary rural routes, and they serve to connect small communities to the main highway network.  If Missouri were in México (rather than Mexico being a town in Missouri, ha!), then I'm guessing most of their lettered SSRs would be similarly unpaved.
Male pronouns, please.

US 41

Quote from: kphoger on April 08, 2016, 11:17:07 AM
Quote from: US 41 on April 07, 2016, 07:29:44 PM

Well, I stopped posting links once I got tired of looking them up yesterday.  Ironically (perhaps), I started up again, working my way south from the city of San Luis Potosí (which is where I left off), and I'm not finding any south of that point.  So it appears to be less of a state thing than a district thing.  That matches up with my firsthand experience in Coahuila:  I've only encountered the tertiary route shields in one part of the state.

And I agree that they appear to be municipal routes rather than state routes.  However, the interplay between state and municipality in México is not something I'm all that much of an expert on, so I can't say for certain there isn't state involvement in funding or maintenance; in fact, I'd assume there is at least some state involvement in both regards.  As to their purpose, I'd say they function basically as FAS routes do in the US:  you could call them tertiary routes or secondary rural routes, and they serve to connect small communities to the main highway network.  If Missouri were in México (rather than Mexico being a town in Missouri, ha!), then I'm guessing most of their lettered SSRs would be similarly unpaved.

I found this one on MX 63.

https://www.google.com/maps/@22.6138064,-101.1488381,3a,18.7y,21.17h,91.86t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sOyM4bXjh5vq_uw5OipHW4w!2e0

This one is in the estado of Zactatecas on MX 54. It's kind of blurry but I'm pretty sure it says Rural 28.

https://www.google.com/maps/@24.1587751,-101.4947352,3a,18.7y,227.42h,86.19t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sINqI6fro5QhmHG4z9HXafg!2e0

EDIT: This one is a little clearer. This is looking northbound instead of southbound on MX 54.

https://www.google.com/maps/@24.1575615,-101.4956021,3a,18.7y,60.28h,85.49t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1spsuJX_DVpJRvmXhAK_BZWQ!2e0
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

kphoger

Quote from: US 41 on April 08, 2016, 04:47:27 PM
I found this one on MX 63.

https://www.google.com/maps/@22.6138064,-101.1488381,3a,18.7y,21.17h,91.86t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sOyM4bXjh5vq_uw5OipHW4w!2e0

But still north of Cd San Luis Potosí.  It still appears to be a regional thing.

Quote from: US 41 on April 08, 2016, 04:47:27 PM
This one is in the estado of Zactatecas on MX 54. It's kind of blurry but I'm pretty sure it says Rural 28.

https://www.google.com/maps/@24.1587751,-101.4947352,3a,18.7y,227.42h,86.19t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sINqI6fro5QhmHG4z9HXafg!2e0

EDIT: This one is a little clearer. This is looking northbound instead of southbound on MX 54.

https://www.google.com/maps/@24.1575615,-101.4956021,3a,18.7y,60.28h,85.49t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1spsuJX_DVpJRvmXhAK_BZWQ!2e0

Yes, that definitely says Rural.  Definitely not very professional looking, a lot like this one a little farther down the road.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.