News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

270-Degree Loop Sign with a 5 in the Center

Started by California1994, June 27, 2022, 11:09:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

California1994

Can you think of any place where there is a 270-degree loop sign with the number 5 in the center? California only has curve/turn signs with advisory speed numbers on them.

Advice: Use Google Maps Street View.

Alps

5 would be impossible. The radius would be too small and therefore total distance too short to facilitate making a loop and getting under or over the highway. 15 is about the lowest you can sign a loop for.

Scott5114

Quote from: Alps on June 27, 2022, 10:42:03 PM
5 would be impossible. The radius would be too small and therefore total distance too short to facilitate making a loop and getting under or over the highway. 15 is about the lowest you can sign a loop for.

Possible ways "5" could still end up on a loop ramp sign:
- math error
- attempt at traffic calming via signage
- vinyl direct applied copy and the other digit peeled off
- someone commissioned a sign from Jake Bear
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

cl94

You could definitely see 5 on a hairpin sign, but a loop ramp? There's no radius where that would make sense.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Henry

Even on a substandard freeway, the lowest speed on a loop ramp would still be 15. Going any lower than that would be asking for trouble.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Max Rockatansky

I've never seen a 5 MPH advisory speed on a loop ramp that Caltrans maintains.

kkt

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 29, 2022, 11:17:42 PM

- math error

- vandalized sign

stevashe

- math error

I suppose it could technically be possible if the loop was very misshapen so one part of it was much sharper than the other, though then it's likely that both parts of the curve would be signed separately.

In any case, the only time I've ever seen a 5 mph curve warning sign is here, so I'd say they are exceedingly rare for any scenario, and that's probably the closest you'll get (at least it's a hairpin!).

Rothman

Quote from: stevashe on July 03, 2022, 04:35:16 PM

- math error

I suppose it could technically be possible if the loop was very misshapen so one part of it was much sharper than the other, though then it's likely that both parts of the curve would be signed separately.

In any case, the only time I've ever seen a 5 mph curve warning sign is here, so I'd say they are exceedingly rare for any scenario, and that's probably the closest you'll get (at least it's a hairpin!).

DUH: https://goo.gl/maps/Mh83QK7f3deFysGA8
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Rothman on July 03, 2022, 04:43:16 PM

- math error

I've run down possibly three times that advisory speed.  Amusingly that green sign directing people to walk the stairs all the way on the left fence is usually totally obscured by tourists.

kkt

Quote from: Rothman on July 03, 2022, 04:43:16 PM

- math error

Oh!  Yes!  Duh indeed, I knew that!

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 03, 2022, 04:48:15 PM
I've run down possibly three times that advisory speed.  Amusingly that green sign directing people to walk the stairs all the way on the left fence is usually totally obscured by tourists.

Of course pedestrians are more maneuverable than cars so they can negotiate twisties faster.

CoreySamson

I've seen Texas use a 10 mph warning sign on a loop ramp before:
https://goo.gl/maps/cM9cLSc5QWSkyBmD8

Occasionally when I've been through there TxDOT had a VMS enforcing the 10 mph limit. That loop could easily be 20.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

stevashe

Quote from: CoreySamson on July 03, 2022, 08:40:49 PM

Occasionally when I've been through there TxDOT had a VMS enforcing the 10 mph limit. That loop could easily be 20.

Actually, looks like it's 10 mph due to the complete lack of any superelevation (banking) on the loop. This is supported by the fact that there are signs further on showing tipping trucks along with the 10 mph advisory speed.

This gives me an idea though, I think one could easily design a 5 mph loop ramp and get around needing the curve to be too small by simply banking the ramp the wrong way!  :-D

California1994

As a kid and in person, I have seen a loop sign with a number 10 in the center on the farthest south exit into San Francisco International Airport.

EDIT: I also saw a left hairpin symbol with a number 5 underneath it in person on the bus storage area on the bus-only road to the Salesforce Transit Center on May 1, 2022, after my medicare appointment in Oakland, California.

Still, I have NOT seen any loop signs with a number 5 in the center.

Alps

Quote from: stevashe on July 04, 2022, 03:06:03 AM

Actually, looks like it's 10 mph due to the complete lack of any superelevation (banking) on the loop. This is supported by the fact that there are signs further on showing tipping trucks along with the 10 mph advisory speed.

This gives me an idea though, I think one could easily design a 5 mph loop ramp and get around needing the curve to be too small by simply banking the ramp the wrong way!  :-D
you sound like a highway engineer

stevashe

Quote from: Alps on July 06, 2022, 11:38:02 PM
Quote from: stevashe on July 04, 2022, 03:06:03 AM

you sound like a highway engineer

oh well thank you for noticing, I have been doing transportation engineering for about 4 years now since graduating college :D

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.