News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

St. Louis Road Meet - March 15, 2014 at 11 AM

Started by kharvey10, October 17, 2013, 11:00:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Quote from: Dougtone on March 03, 2014, 06:26:20 PM
Quote from: bandit957 on March 03, 2014, 01:02:56 PM
Bring a raincoat, everyone, because they're saying it might be raaaaaaaaaai-nee! I just checked the long-range forecast.

Is this the forecast you're referring to?
http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/saint-louis-mo/63101/daily-weather-forecast/349084?day=11

Yes.

Remember, there's only 2 kinds of Roads Scholars: Those who have Scholared in the rain, and those who will.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Dougtone

Quote from: Brandon on March 03, 2014, 07:26:29 PM
Quote from: Dougtone on March 03, 2014, 06:26:20 PM
Quote from: bandit957 on March 03, 2014, 01:02:56 PM
Bring a raincoat, everyone, because they're saying it might be raaaaaaaaaai-nee! I just checked the long-range forecast.

Is this the forecast you're referring to?
http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/saint-louis-mo/63101/daily-weather-forecast/349084?day=11

So far out I don't even worry about it.

I'll usually start paying attention to the weather forecast a few days out.  It still may not be a bad idea for some of the attendees to think ahead by remembering to pack a jacket or umbrella, since some of us are traveling from far distances.

bandit957

The forecast might be a worst-case scenario, so I wouldn't urge anyone to cancel their trip just because of it. But personally, I just assume it's correct, since I'm used to rain.

bugo

yanksfan6129

bandit957

Now they're saying cloudy with a high of 52 and a low of 44. There's a small chance of rain, but it looks like it won't be the washout that they had been predicting.

Did we really expect every roadmeet in the Midwest at this time of year to be perfectly dry? We actually lucked out at the Ashland meet.

hbelkins

Seems awfully early to have such accurate forecasts 10-14 days in advance.

Quote from: bandit957 on March 05, 2014, 11:30:01 AM
Did we really expect every roadmeet in the Midwest at this time of year to be perfectly dry? We actually lucked out at the Ashland meet.

We had some rain at Pikeville last fall. Chattanooga was a washout. The Columbus meet about 10 years ago, which I didn't attend, had some pretty heavy thunderstorms. And the Monticello, NY meet last March had snowfall.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

bugo

Tim: A weather forecaster can't accurately predict the weather for the next day in this part of the country, and they certainly can't predict it a week and a half away.  I put about as much faith in long term forecasts that I put faith in the Republican Party doing something good for a change.

Brandon

Quote from: bugo on March 05, 2014, 02:41:20 PM
Tim: A weather forecaster can't accurately predict the weather for the next day in this part of the country, and they certainly can't predict it a week and a half away.  I put about as much faith in long term forecasts that I put faith in the Republican Party a politician doing something good for a change.

FIFY.  They're all alike, R or D.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

bugo

I was using a metaphor.  Don't take things so literally, Brandon.

froggie

QuoteTim: A weather forecaster can't accurately predict the weather for the next day in this part of the country, and they certainly can't predict it a week and a half away.  I put about as much faith in long term forecasts that I put faith in the Republican Party doing something good for a change.

Speaking as a meteorologist, a reasonably accurate forecast can be made up to 5 days out.  Beyond about 5 days, there are too many variables involved and it gets too subjective.

bandit957

Now they say it's a 0% chance of rain. I guess that doesn't mean much when it's still 9 days away.

bugo

Quote from: froggie on March 06, 2014, 05:22:23 AM
QuoteTim: A weather forecaster can't accurately predict the weather for the next day in this part of the country, and they certainly can't predict it a week and a half away.  I put about as much faith in long term forecasts that I put faith in the Republican Party doing something good for a change.

Speaking as a meteorologist, a reasonably accurate forecast can be made up to 5 days out.  Beyond about 5 days, there are too many variables involved and it gets too subjective.

Sometimes it can be correctly predicted.  Many times, however, the forecasters' predictions are flat out wrong.  Meteorology is not an exact science.

brianreynolds

Quote from: bugo on March 03, 2014, 07:35:31 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on March 03, 2014, 01:15:45 PM
Quote from: bugo on March 03, 2014, 03:51:06 AM
Actually if you want to bring your silly signs, bring them, but just don't take a picture with me and the sign both in it or I will confiscate your camera and destroy your picture.
Why do you dislike the sign so much?

I don't even dislike the sign, I just don't want my picture taken with it.

I have a "Send Help" sign from a meet (King of Prussia PA, or damn near it?) eons ago.  I plan to bring it along. 

Does Jeremy have a sense of humor (I'm pretty sure he does)?  If so, he will pose with me and the sign for a pic.

He's welcome to scowl at the camera.  I'll probably be grinning, but if Jeremy wants me to, I'll scowl along with him.

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

kharvey10

The RSVP deadline for the luncheon is at midnight CDT on Monday, and the current head count for the meet stands at 25. 

hbelkins

If I change my mind and come, I just won't eat at the restaurant.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

bugo

I'm not going to eat because of medical reasons.  I will, however, drink a Coke.

Alps

jpi

WOW! Shaping up to be a HUGE turn out! Too bad my mini van will be full of small toy cars, I will have to ride with someone on the tour. So far weather is starting to look good for Saturday, partly cloudy and 60 :-)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

kharvey10

The weather forecast is shaping to be partly cloudy with High of 59 and Low of 41.  Jason you can ride with me during the tour itself - riding shotgun.  I still got room in my vehicle for 2 more - I got 2 vans as well but they're no fun shooting road photos from the backseat.

Anyone that needs my cell number can PM me

jpi

I will keep that in mind Kim, I should getting to the restaurant by 11 driving up from Clarksville, TN
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

bandit957

If I'm not mistaken, there's some big marathon in downtown St. Louis that morning.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

bandit957

I'm arriving in St. Louis mighty early, and I plan on doing a little walking tour around the area. I designed my walking tour so it doesn't conflict with the parade or the marathon.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.