News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Jacksonville Road Meet-February 26, 2022

Started by kevinb1994, September 01, 2018, 02:44:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Since I’ve Decided to Postpone this Meet, when Should it be Held?

4 (23.5%)
1 (5.9%)
Never
12 (70.6%)

Total Members Voted: 17

kevinb1994

Quote from: SSOWorld on February 18, 2019, 05:21:18 PM
You have at least one potential attendee traveling to you now who will not be happy 🤬

Yeah I know, but cancelling this meet wouldn't sit well with me or those traveling to the now-postponed meet, and they'd best to sit tight and not complain too much about it. Family, health, personal, scientific, and travel/vacation reasons came into play when deciding to postpone this meet. My dad had recently suffered a workplace-related injury and is better now but could use the extra time. My mom and sister just came back from Taiwan and Korea via Houston's George Bush Intercontinental Airport where they met up and later split up on the way to and from EWR and JAX. Currently the weather forecast for this Saturday are not really favorable for this meet to be held in rainy and wet conditions.

oscar

Quote from: kevinb1994 on February 18, 2019, 12:27:17 PM
I know we're now less than a week away from the meet now, but unfortunately the weather forecast looks less than favorable now. Gonna postpone the meet until later this year instead of canceling it outright.

What's your weather forecast telling you? Weather Channel has this Saturday as partly cloudy, 20% chance of precipitation, highs in the low 80s. If that's not good enough, when will it ever be?

As far as your other difficulties, we had a meet go on as scheduled even when the host couldn't make it due to his own serious medical problems. People who wanted to attend on the original date did so, with alternate hosting arrangements (I didn't attend, so I don't remember what the plan B was). When the host was once more up to hosting, he set a second meet date.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

kevinb1994

Quote from: oscar on February 18, 2019, 05:58:57 PM
I know we're now less than a week away from the meet now, but unfortunately the weather forecast looks less than favorable now. Gonna postpone the meet until later this year instead of canceling it outright.

What's your weather forecast telling you? Weather Channel has this Saturday as partly cloudy, 20% chance of precipitation, highs in the low 80s. If that's not good enough, when will it ever be?

As far as your other difficulties, we had a meet go on as scheduled even when the host couldn't make it due to his own serious medical problems. People who wanted to attend on the original date did so, with alternate hosting arrangements (I didn't attend, so I don't remember what the plan B was). When the host was once more up to hosting, he set a second meet date.

Well it depends on which weather source; I go by what it says on the Facebook Events pages. Your mileage may and will vary, of course. I don't know if that'd work well down here. Got no prior meet hosting experience. Sorry.

Alps

Quote from: kevinb1994 on February 18, 2019, 05:29:36 PM
Yeah I know, but cancelling this meet wouldn't sit well with me or those traveling to the now-postponed meet, and they'd best to sit tight and not complain too much about it.
Do not threaten other users.

kevinb1994

Quote from: Alps on February 18, 2019, 06:22:59 PM
Quote from: kevinb1994 on February 18, 2019, 05:29:36 PM
Yeah I know, but cancelling this meet wouldn't sit well with me or those traveling to the now-postponed meet, and they'd best to sit tight and not complain too much about it.
Do not threaten other users.

Sorry, it shouldn't have been intended that way, it should've been a simple warning.

oscar

Quote from: kevinb1994 on February 18, 2019, 06:08:02 PM
Well it depends on which weather source; I go by what it says on the Facebook Events pages. Your mileage may and will vary, of course. I don't know if that'd work well down here. Got no prior meet hosting experience. Sorry.

As someone with some experience with organizing beach trips, one thing you learn quickly is to consult multiple weather forecasts, including the most official ones (like NOAA), before making any schedule change decisions. And also that when rescheduling an event to chase better weather, your new date will often as not end up worse than the old one.

I have multiple schedule conflicts for this Saturday, so I wasn't set on attending the meet as originally scheduled.

kevinb1994

Quote from: oscar on February 18, 2019, 06:33:35 PM

As someone with some experience with organizing beach trips, one thing you learn quickly is to consult multiple weather forecasts, including the most official ones (like NOAA), before making any schedule change decisions. And also that when rescheduling an event to chase better weather, your new date will often as not end up worse than the old one.

I have multiple schedule conflicts for this Saturday, so I wasn't set on attending the meet as originally scheduled.

Well I don't always rely on multiple weather forecasts as they tend to dig too far into the future. I like a handful (five-day) of days in a weather forecast. Plus it's not real science. Sometimes I go by gut instinct(s).

Yeah I'm not surprised, as other roadgeeks weren't able to attend either.

US71

FWIW, I consult multiple sources since there is some margin of error with each one.  One forecast is calling for sleet/freezing rain here tomorrow. Another says simply rain. To me at least, it means keep an eye on things. If both said freezing rain, I'd be running for the bread and milk.  YMMV.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

kevinb1994

Quote from: US71 on February 18, 2019, 07:26:59 PM

FWIW, I consult multiple sources since there is some margin of error with each one.  One forecast is calling for sleet/freezing rain here tomorrow. Another says simply rain. To me at least, it means keep an eye on things. If both said freezing rain, I'd be running for the bread and milk.  YMMV.

Yeah that's what oscar just mentioned. To be honest I don't really watch TV much nor keep any weather apps on my tablet. The latter just drains my battery life and I'm not much of a TV person besides what goes on behind the scenes at television stations and who owns and operates them. I know that two of our local television stations are to be sold by Cox to (possibly) Apollo, E.W. Scripps, Hearst Television, or even Tegna.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Brandon on February 18, 2019, 04:04:33 PM
Quote from: codyg1985 on February 18, 2019, 02:54:16 PM
I have hosted a road meet in very rainy conditions before. It is not ideal but it is doable.

Yeah, I was part of one in very wet conditions, Port Huron 2012.  I think we sheltered under a porch canopy while looking at the Blue Water Bridges.

2010 - Akron/Canton meet was wet most of the way.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

bandit957

I heard there was a roadmeet in Chattanooga once that was completely ruined by rain. But I wasn't there.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

oscar

Quote from: bandit957 on February 18, 2019, 09:07:49 PM
I heard there was a roadmeet in Chattanooga once that was completely ruined by rain. But I wasn't there.

I was. It might've been the meet Cody mentioned a few posts above. I think it worked out reasonably well, even with the rain. We had to position our group under some railroad tracks for the group photo.

A.J. Bertin

I was wondering the same thing, Oscar. The National Weather Service shows the forecast for Saturday as being partly sunny with a high near 81. Not sure what's "less than favorable" about that.
-A.J. from Michigan

kevinb1994

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on February 18, 2019, 09:58:21 PM

I was wondering the same thing, Oscar. The National Weather Service shows the forecast for Saturday as being partly sunny with a high near 81. Not sure what's "less than favorable" about that.

If any of you guys (other than Gene V. and Paul D., who I know were definitely going to attend the now-postponed meet) were planning to be down here anyway this Saturday, feel free to come up with your own version of the iteniary I had to rewrite more than once and drive around the area.

oscar

Quote from: kevinb1994 on February 18, 2019, 02:47:11 PM
I've decided to post a new poll for this meet; this time I need to know if this fall is a good time to postpone it to or further back until early 2021 or early 2022.

Isn't your late October/early November window within Florida's hurricane season?

I remember a meet we had in Birmingham in early October 2016 was indirectly affected by evacuations from a hurricane that hit the coast in Florida and points north. Hotels even as far inland as northern Alabama were jammed with evacuees, so people who hadn't booked in advance had trouble finding rooms.

A.J. Bertin

Is there any reason why 2020 was not included as an option in the poll for the new date? I know it's your meet and you can do whatever you want, but this is ridiculous. 2022 is three years away.
-A.J. from Michigan

Alps

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on February 18, 2019, 11:29:51 PM
Is there any reason why 2020 was not included as an option in the poll for the new date? I know it's your meet and you can do whatever you want, but this is ridiculous. 2022 is three years away.
Be nice.

kevinb1994

Quote from: oscar on February 18, 2019, 11:01:37 PM
Quote from: kevinb1994 on February 18, 2019, 02:47:11 PM
I've decided to post a new poll for this meet; this time I need to know if this fall is a good time to postpone it to or further back until early 2021 or early 2022.

Isn't your late October/early November window within Florida's hurricane season?

I remember a meet we had in Birmingham in early October 2016 was indirectly affected by evacuations from a hurricane that hit the coast in Florida and points north. Hotels even as far inland as northern Alabama were jammed with evacuees, so people who hadn't booked in advance had trouble finding rooms.

Yes, which is why I decided to punt the meet into Early 2022.

US71

Respectfully, work on your earliest meet first and get a feel for how it works. Then you can work on subsequent meets as they occur. I know you want everything just right, but this far in advance, you're going to drive yourself crazy.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

hbelkins

That's probably a reference to my New River Gorge meet a couple of years ago. I actually didn't do another meet there; but I had published the itinerary far enough in advance that everyone who was coming knew the routing and could plan accordingly. Plus, I knew a few days in advance that I wasn't going to be able to make it. I have, however, attended meets where the host bailed the day of the meet, and attendees and a last-minute-substitute host had to scramble to make things go somewhat as planned.

As far as weather goes, Froggie hosted a meet in Slidell, La., with a hurricane headed for the Gulf coast. Since the landfall wasn't going to be for a couple of days after the meet, it went on as scheduled. I remember he floated the idea of canceling, but I was already en route when he did so and said I didn't mind coming on down since I already had the trip planned.

Cody's Chattanooga meet was indeed on a rainy day. One of the Columbus meets about 15 or so years ago was marked by really strong thunderstorms.

I'm not sure I understand why the "my relatives split up in Houston on their return trip" factor would play a role in canceling the meet.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jpi

Quote from: hbelkins on February 19, 2019, 11:13:53 AM

That's probably a reference to my New River Gorge meet a couple of years ago. I actually didn't do another meet there; but I had published the itinerary far enough in advance that everyone who was coming knew the routing and could plan accordingly. Plus, I knew a few days in advance that I wasn't going to be able to make it. I have, however, attended meets where the host bailed the day of the meet, and attendees and a last-minute-substitute host had to scramble to make things go somewhat as planned.

That sounded like the Dayton Road Meet in 2012, Sandor ended up leading that one

As far as weather goes, Froggie hosted a meet in Slidell, La., with a hurricane headed for the Gulf coast. Since the landfall wasn't going to be for a couple of days after the meet, it went on as scheduled. I remember he floated the idea of canceling, but I was already en route when he did so and said I didn't mind coming on down since I already had the trip planned.

Cody's Chattanooga meet was indeed on a rainy day. One of the Columbus meets about 15 or so years ago was marked by really strong thunderstorms.
Yes that was hands down the wettest road meet I was ever at

I'm not sure I understand why the "my relatives split up in Houston on their return trip" factor would play a role in canceling the meet.

As for my meet hosting experience, my April 2016 road meet went well despite a surprise mid April snow storm that did cause one meet attendee to back out but overall, it cleared up and was just cloudy the rest of the day (and cold for mid April) as for my up and coming Memphis meet, giving the time of the year in the mid south, who knows we could be storm chasing while on our tour for all I know, you just have to watch the weather closely but don't "panic" if the weather changes just slightly, just go with the flow and hope for the best  :nod:
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Brandon

Quote from: jpi on February 19, 2019, 12:55:17 PM
As for my meet hosting experience, my April 2016 road meet went well despite a surprise mid April snow storm that did cause one meet attendee to back out but overall, it cleared up and was just cloudy the rest of the day (and cold for mid April) as for my up and coming Memphis meet, giving the time of the year in the mid south, who knows we could be storm chasing while on our tour for all I know, you just have to watch the weather closely but don't "panic" if the weather changes just slightly, just go with the flow and hope for the best  :nod:

Yeah, that was a good meet, if a bit chilly.  The unmarked electric cow fences on the other hand...

/shocking!
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

kevinb1994

Quote from: hbelkins on February 19, 2019, 11:13:53 AM

That's just something I included in my explanation as that was in the last part of their trip. Not a major factor, but still something I had in mind when canceling the meet.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: kevinb1994 on February 20, 2019, 08:29:31 AM
That's just something I included in my explanation as that was in the last part of their trip. Not a major factor, but still something I had in mind when canceling the meet.

I feel bad for Gene who made all the arrangements to travel from multiple states away to attend this meet and it ended up getting cancelled at almost the last minute. I'm just concerned that people will be leery to commit to attending a meet that you might host in the future based on this last-minute cancellation. The farther that attendees are coming from, the more arrangements they have to make in terms of booking hotel rooms, putting in time-off requests from work, and so on. Just something to think about for the future.  :spin:
-A.J. from Michigan

kevinb1994

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on February 20, 2019, 09:57:48 PM
Quote from: kevinb1994 on February 20, 2019, 08:29:31 AM

I feel bad for Gene who made all the arrangements to travel from multiple states away to attend this meet and it ended up getting cancelled at almost the last minute. I'm just concerned that people will be leery to commit to attending a meet that you might host in the future based on this last-minute cancellation. The farther that attendees are coming from, the more arrangements they have to make in terms of booking hotel rooms, putting in time-off requests from work, and so on. Just something to think about for the future.  :spin:

My parents suggested that I cancel this meet primarily due to the fact that I hadn't readied the iteniary in time for the meet.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.