AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Which of the following dates would you prefer for the Outer Banks meet?

April 25, 2020
- 14 (43.8%)
May 30, 2020
- 4 (12.5%)
June 20, 2020
- 1 (3.1%)
June 27, 2020
- 3 (9.4%)
(It's way too early for me to have a preference.)
- 10 (31.3%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Voting closed: October 01, 2019, 09:27:47 PM

Author Topic: Outer Banks NC "city meet"  (Read 14413 times)

A.J. Bertin

• Last Login: July 29, 2021, 07:31:02 PM
Re: Outer Banks NC "city meet" - April 24, 2021?
« Reply #150 on: February 24, 2021, 08:58:03 PM »

As such, I hope this will be rescheduled to April of 2022.  I am far more likely to attend, and it will be be far more likely to draw the numbers that make a meet a MEET!.

I will support A.J.'s decision either way.  Perhaps you might, too.  Your choice.

Thank you, Brian.  I appreciate that.

It's not like the Outer Banks will be disappearing anytime soon.  They will still be available next year for us to explore, if I decide to postpone this gathering by another year.  If I do postpone and others want to gather there this year without me (essentially taking over this meet for me in 2021), I would not be offended by any means; I'd still plan to do this next year.

I'll make my decision by March 15.
-A.J. from Michigan

Alps

• Everybody Obeys the Octagon

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: Today at 01:30:27 AM
    • Alps' Roads
« Reply #151 on: February 24, 2021, 11:07:06 PM »

It's not like the Outer Banks will be disappearing anytime soon.
environmentally speaking... :/

US 89

• 189 to Evanston!

• Last Login: Today at 01:30:24 AM
    • Utah Highways
« Reply #152 on: February 24, 2021, 11:18:47 PM »

It's not like the Outer Banks will be disappearing anytime soon.  They will still be available next year for us to explore

Don't tempt this year's hurricane season  :-D

A.J. Bertin

« Reply #153 on: February 25, 2021, 06:29:22 AM »

It's not like the Outer Banks will be disappearing anytime soon.
environmentally speaking... :/

Yes... that thought crossed my mind.  Perhaps they will be gone by, say, 2040 (sad to say)... but not by 2022.
-A.J. from Michigan

hbelkins

• It is well, it is well, with my soul.

• Last Login: July 30, 2021, 08:20:30 PM
    • Millennium Highway
« Reply #154 on: February 25, 2021, 10:26:35 AM »

It's not like the Outer Banks will be disappearing anytime soon.  They will still be available next year for us to explore

Don't tempt this year's hurricane season  :-D

Has NC 12 offered an opinion yet?

I identify as vaccinated.

A.J. Bertin

« Reply #155 on: February 28, 2021, 08:19:06 AM »

After giving this some careful thought, I've decided I am definitely postponing this meet by another year.  I know that some folks will support me in this decision while others will not, and that's okay because the decision is mine to make.  I wasn't planning on making my final decision until mid March, but a big reason I decided to settle on this decision now is because I know there are some folks who very much want to see an Outer Banks gathering happen in 2021, and I feel I am simply getting out of their way to allow them to create a gathering in their own innovative style.  I'll still of course attend other, traditional, meets this year, but I simply do not have the same mindset/motivation about organizing my own gathering until the pandemic is closer to being over.  It will not be over by April 24.  I am much more optimistic that we'll be closer to normalcy by April of 2022, and by then, I'm guessing I'll feel much more confident in my ability to host a gathering in the method of my choosing.  I'm just not there at this point.

For those of you who support my decision, thank you... and I hope to see you in 2022 in the Outer Banks.  For those of you who don't, I have no hard feelings and hope you have a great time in the Outer Banks in 2021, if you choose to move forward this year without me.  You'd still be welcome to join us in 2022 if you have the desire to explore the Outer Banks two years in a row.   Totally understandable if you don't.  :)

Not everyone in the road enthusiast community is an engineer (or an innovator in general), but everyone in this community deserves respect for the rational decisions they make.
-A.J. from Michigan

Alps

• Alps' Roads
Re: Outer Banks NC "city meet"
« Reply #156 on: February 28, 2021, 09:23:10 PM »

AJ, I agree with your decision. The "city meet" concept works best when we can all gather together after to recount our experiences, and that would be difficult to do safely with COVID (outdoors, daylight limitations). I think you're not interpreting correctly the role of "engineering or innovating" as it applies to meets. The idea is that we need to keep our minds open to doing different things, and that specific concept was more being pitched to the general viewership, not you. I think we all know you understand that, as your city meet itself is exactly that - innovative.

74/171FAN

• Last Login: July 30, 2021, 09:09:09 PM
« Reply #157 on: March 01, 2021, 09:12:01 AM »

Not everyone in the road enthusiast community is an engineer (or an innovator in general), but everyone in this community deserves respect for the rational decisions they make.

The good news at this point is that I think we are good (for the most part) to do at least day trips wherever.  Part of my personal issue through all this is feeling told that doing things that are mostly safe (such as a drive by myself for a day trip) is considered bad even though the chances of spreading the virus is quite low in this scenario.

As I have stated earlier in this thread, I would be open to a socially distanced Raleigh/Durham Meet later this summer when the East End Connector is open.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Alps

• Alps' Roads
« Reply #158 on: March 01, 2021, 06:22:55 PM »

The good news at this point is that I think we are good (for the most part) to do at least day trips wherever.  Part of my personal issue through all this is feeling told that doing things that are mostly safe (such as a drive by myself for a day trip) is considered bad even though the chances of spreading the virus is quite low in this scenario.

As I have stated earlier in this thread, I would be open to a socially distanced Raleigh/Durham Meet later this summer when the East End Connector is open.
What we do is far enough out of the mainstream that they're not thinking of us when they list safe states and mandatory quarantines. How many people would drive 2 states over to check out a bridge and back home in the same day? That said, there's very little enforcement of "are you on the most direct route" that I'm aware of in this country (moreso in Canada).
I am in for East End. Name your weekend.

hbelkins

• It is well, it is well, with my soul.

• Last Login: July 30, 2021, 08:20:30 PM
    • Millennium Highway
« Reply #159 on: March 01, 2021, 09:35:57 PM »

if you have the desire to explore the Outer Banks two years in a row.   Totally understandable if you don't.  :)

They weren't roadgeeking trips, but when I was a kid, we went to the Outer Banks two years in a row, taking different routes to and from each time.

I identify as vaccinated.

74/171FAN

• Last Login: July 30, 2021, 09:09:09 PM
« Reply #160 on: March 02, 2021, 12:30:50 PM »

I am in for East End. Name your weekend.

I plan to start a thread on this later in the week.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.