News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkt

Quote from: hbelkins on October 18, 2022, 12:53:55 PM
Related to my last complaint, businesses that don't answer the phone, let you leave a message, and then don't return your call.

Tried to call my doctor's office recently to get an appointment for refills of maintenance prescriptions. After two or three attempts, I finally got the automated system to answer, and at the prompt to leave a message, I did so. Told them I needed to make an appointment, left my name and number, and asked for a return call. We're going on two weeks now and I haven't heard back from them. They're notorious for not answering the phone.

So I'm looking for a new primary care physician. If you can't make an appointment at the doctor's office, why even have a doctor?

Why indeed, but I'm not sure that's a minor thing any more.  Good luck.

roadman65

You can’t trust Bookings either.  I booked the Rodeway Inn in Lagrange, GA that advertised free breakfast.  The Lobby had tables as well as a breakfast counter as seen when checking in.  I asked lady at desk, what time is breakfast?  She said “ We don’t offer it.”

I informed her about the set up in lobby and pointed her ad on Bookings.com and said “ Sorry, we’re not responsible for bookings website.”

Needless to say I was too tired to find another motel so I flopped there for the night.

Not to mention Rodeway is part of Choice Hotels which owns the Comfort and Quality Brands, which is a requirement of all properties of Choice to offer the amenities.  However, Rodeway Brand gets the Get Out Of Jail Free Card for the entire chain and is exempt from corporate policies unlike the other brands.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Scott5114

I had the same trouble at the Super 8 I stayed at in Natchez MS for the road meet there. The website said there was breakfast and a pool. In reality there was neither, "because of covid". Not that the staff was wearing masks or anything...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

tchafe1978

Related to my last complaint, businesses that don't answer the phone, let you leave a message, and then don't return your call.

Tried to call my doctor's office recently to get an appointment for refills of maintenance prescriptions. After two or three attempts, I finally got the automated system to answer, and at the prompt to leave a message, I did so. Told them I needed to make an appointment, left my name and number, and asked for a return call. We're going on two weeks now and I haven't heard back from them. They're notorious for not answering the phone.

So I'm looking for a new primary care physician. If you can't make an appointment at the doctor's office, why even have a doctor?

Kind of related, but on the other side of the deal, I have to call customers to let them know when their orders are ready to be picked up. Many times when the customer doesn't answer, it goes to voicemail, of course. But then there are customers who haven't set up their voicemail, and even better, their mailbox is full, so I can't leave a message. And then I'll end up getting a call back from the customer wondering why they got a call from us, many times while I'm in the process of leaving them a message, if their voicemail is working. In that case, why don't you just listen to your voicemail!!

formulanone

Quote from: kkt on October 18, 2022, 04:32:24 PM

I've had some essentially meaningless jobs where you could be fired for not returning phone calls, but I feel few are held to the same standards.

abefroman329

Quote from: formulanone on October 19, 2022, 05:08:45 AM

I've had some essentially meaningless jobs where you could be fired for not returning phone calls, but I feel few are held to the same standards.
Not that there's anything unique about how you felt, but the reason you were held to that standard was because you thought the job was essentially meaningless.

formulanone

Quote from: abefroman329 on October 19, 2022, 10:56:13 AM
Quote from: formulanone on October 19, 2022, 05:08:45 AM

Not that there's anything unique about how you felt, but the reason you were held to that standard was because you thought the job was essentially meaningless.

I was implying the job wasn't as essential as an emergency dispatcher or dealing with life-saving issues, or those with a tremendous financial impact. But it also wasn't my primary task, which I can no longer assume is any phone operator's sole job duty.

In the big scheme of things, not calling back (within 12-18 hours) one or two of 30-50 people who dropped off their car, awaiting special orders, or those desiring appointments on top of actually doing all those things is a bit more trifling. Let alone the hearsay of someone claiming you never called them because they didn't answer their phone nor explain that their phone number(s) changed when asked to verify information.

In today's world of various retail service industries, burden of proof is merely a survey score.

J N Winkler

Today's minor irritation:  the pressure switch on the gas-fired furnace tripping (Rheem code 57) due to a few small spiderwebs in the flue, so it won't run at full speed, leaving us freezing during the first hard frost of the season.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

mgk920

( :ninja: take a bite of something  :thumbsup: )

NOMnomnomnomnomyumyumyumMmmMmmMmm(burp)nomnomyumyumMmmMmmnomnom
*CRUNCH!!  :-o *OW!*   :wow: (bites inside of cheek)

:-|

Mike

kirbykart

Quote from: mgk920 on October 19, 2022, 10:33:55 PM

Mike

This is going in "Your Favorite Forum Quotes" for sure.

webny99

Quote from: kirbykart on October 20, 2022, 01:18:55 PM

This is going in "Your Favorite Forum Quotes" for sure.

Any post that contains the phrase "nom-nom" should have automatic rite of passage.

zachary_amaryllis

Mike

I usually get my tongue, but ouch.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

formulanone

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on October 20, 2022, 07:36:21 PM

Mike

I usually get my tongue, but ouch.

...three minutes later:

:ded:

At that point, I feel like I'm dooming us as a species and start to feel a little guilty.

kirbykart

This morning on the local (WNY) news, the traffic reporter Mike McQueen told of a crash on State Route 20 in the Town of Pomfret.

Messing up designations of highways is a minor thing that bothers me.

MATraveler128

Quote from: kirbykart on October 21, 2022, 08:12:05 AM
This morning on the local (WNY) news, the traffic reporter Mike McQueen told of a crash on State Route 20 in the Town of Pomfret.

Come to Massachusetts where MassDOT constantly posts MA 1, MA 6, MA 20 etc shields.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

ZLoth

Since we are talking food....

From EatingWell:

Why Deli Sandwiches Taste Better Than Yours
QuoteWhat's your favorite sandwich? A club sandwich? Maybe a Cuban sandwich? What about a chicken sandwich or even a breakfast sandwich? No matter your preference, you've probably been disappointed by your own sandwiches versus the ones you order at a deli. Here's why, plus tips on how to make a better tasting sandwich at home (Psst, have someone else make it for you, seriously.)
FULL ARTICLE HERE
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

1995hoo

JayhawkCO's comment at the end of the string below prompts me to think of a minor thing that used to bug me at work–when people would be talking about having kids and someone would say that a colleague and her husband really wanted kids and were trying really hard to have one. It would bring to mind various unwanted mental images of one's colleagues engaging in procreational activities.

Quote from: JayhawkCO on October 20, 2022, 11:54:05 PM
Quote from: Rothman on October 20, 2022, 11:14:53 PM

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on October 20, 2022, 10:56:43 PM
Quote from: Rothman on October 20, 2022, 08:22:10 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on October 20, 2022, 05:16:54 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 20, 2022, 01:40:21 PM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on October 20, 2022, 11:09:32 AM
I cringe at the idea that any country in the world needs MORE PEOPLE; as if we've got unlimited resources on this stupid planet.
Neutral growth means a future for all.

Population stagnation often equates to economic stagnation, the latter is what nobody wants.  Basically if you aren't growing, you are falling behind.  I'm not saying that should be how population trends should he viewed, but that's how it is.

Japan is almost the opposite of that trend -- no kids because everyone is only focusing on their jobs.
They don't take the defense of their country seriously, then.  Children should be mandatory.

China found out the hard way that there's an extreme on that end too.

I'm not a fan of "we need kids so we can have people available to die in a trench at 18"..

It's not a matter of morality, it's a matter of survival.  Go and make babies.

I already had one. Now I just like to practice.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kirbykart

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on October 21, 2022, 08:15:01 AM
Quote from: kirbykart on October 21, 2022, 08:12:05 AM

Come to Massachusetts where MassDOT constantly posts MA 1, MA 6, MA 20 etc shields.

That sort of crap does happen here also, though thankfully not too often.

kphoger

When www.wunderground.com chooses a weather station that's across town from me.

But seriously??  This one really takes the cake...

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

When you go to text someone, but then you accidentally call them instead.

1.  If you hang up right away, then your number will still likely pop up on their caller ID and alert them to a missed call.  So they'll probably call you back anyway–and probably before you even finish sending your text message, so you can't even text them to ignore the call.

2.  If you stay on the line until they answer, then either (a) there's a reason you preferred texting but now you're stuck communicating by voice call, or else (b) there's a reason you preferred texting but now you have to try and explain that without being rude and basically telling them you'd prefer a less personal form of communication.

3.  If you stay on the line and they don't answer, then you're back to texting again, except there's a pretty good chance they'll call you back right before you hit 'Send', so you just wasted all that time typing the message, and now see (2) above...
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Me, at Wendy's an hour ago – Could I have some salt, please?  I didn't see any out there.

Them – Salt?  Oh... We don't serve salt.
Male pronouns, please.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on October 28, 2022, 07:27:54 PM
Me, at Wendy's an hour ago – Could I have some salt, please?  I didn't see any out there.

Them – Salt?  Oh... We don't serve salt.

Tell that to your person working the fry station about 33% of the time I'm there. Almost always the fries are way too salty.

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

plain

If there's a place that's known for under salting fries, it's definitely Wendy's
Newark born, Richmond bred

US71

Quote from: plain on October 31, 2022, 11:00:36 AM
If there's a place that's known for under salting fries, it's definitely Wendy's

How about re-frying them if they've been sitting too long under the sun lamp?
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.