News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

La Crosse and Winona - August 22, 2019

Started by SSOWorld, February 02, 2020, 01:18:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSOWorld

Where: Lunch Venue - Pettibone Park Shelter (street view - zoom out for map - food choice left up to the attendee to get take-out.
When: 11:00 AM Sat Aug 22.  Group tour planned to start between Noon and 12:30.

Major Features of interest include:
* the Winona Bridge (MN-43/WIS-54) is under construction and access is restricted - the new bridge is open, but the old bridge is being rehabbed) - access under on the west side (bike path) is blocked, I'm going to check out the island side once the lousy smarch weather stops.
* Winona Historic Waggon Bridge
* the I-90 bridge (replaced in 2016)
* the Downtown La Crosse Big Blue Bridges (we'll likely start with this set)

Facebook event (Private as usual as I do not believe in Facebook using my events for stats and ads)

Meet Rules for Pandemic management
* Social Distancing is required - car pooling is at your own risk but if pooling I stronly encourage use of masks by driver/passengers.  Remember, the mask is to protect each other. I will not be pooling.  Mark and Brandon's meet photos are what to expect of ours.  I will provide my cell phone number to drivers prior to the tour in case of any wrong turns.
* I will not be sharing my tri-pod for the group photo.  What others do is up to them.
* Many private business are mandating face coverings and Minnesota is doing so on a state-wide level for indoor activity.  Basically any time you cannot maintain distance (This include car pooling) you should be wearing a mask.

For those coming from states with quarantine rules, Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois and Minnesota have hotspots. If you do not feel comfortable with it, I understand and respect your wishes.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

A.J. Bertin

I'll definitely be there.  I think you mean 2020 rather than 2019 though.  ;)
-A.J. from Michigan

signalman

Oh man!  So much going on in the Midwest this year.  I'll need to choose which meets to go to wisely.

kevinb1994

I'll have to pass on this one as I don't see myself heading out that way anytime soon, particularly with the COVID. Next year at OBX or in 2022 is more than likely at this point.

okroads

I am definitely interested, spent a night in downtown La Crosse back in 2017 and would've loved to explore the area more. The past two years, this has been the time of year I have made my annual summer trip to OKC. But this is far enough out where I may be able to move things around for this meet. :D

paulthemapguy

I will most likely be able to attend this one.  It will be my third road meet!  I might spin it into a longer trip up to northern Minnesota and back--we'll see how that goes.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Rothman

I love the LaCrosse area, but unfortunately, I can't make it.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

SSOWorld

As we have our current environment - A park lunch setting is being considered.  Yes, Wisconsin's restaurants may be open, but as far as I'm concerned - the regulation of them got derailed by politics which will not be discussed here.  However, I am choosing to take precautions and recommend the same for all.  More in July.
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

getemngo

I'm officially in. However, I will be staffing a virtual conference Friday night/Saturday morning, so don't expect me at any pre-meet festivities.
~ Sam from Michigan

Brandon

I'll be there as well.  Makes a nice day trip.  :nod:
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

signalman

I intend to attend.  I'm currently waiting for my time off from work request to be approved.

jpi

I would like to attend this but pretty sure I have a toy show that weekend in Cartersville, GA that is still on and commited to.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

SSOWorld

As of this date most places in La Crosse area are not open for dine-in and with the size of parties like ours, social distancing will be next to impossible in a dine-in setting. As such, I will be selecting a park area shelter with tables and recommending take-out options later this month or next month. I will be following state recommendations on social distancing/masking when social distancing not possible and strongly urge that all attendees do the same.

Those that have to quarantine upon return back to their home states please use discretion when attending this meet as Wisconsin (including La Crosse County), Iowa (including Alamakee County) and Minnesota are all hot spots.

If any of Iowa (not likely), Minnesota (yes) or Wisconsin (not likely) mandate masks, this meet will follow that

EDIT: MN enacted one. for us - it will impact any indoor activity.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

Highway63

Can you give me an absolute-latest arrival time? Like, say, noonish? I am going to be working until midnight the night before and will be driving 3 1/2 hours to get there.

Mdcastle

I may come if it would be possible for me to keep socially distant and stay outdoors.

I own the old light fixtures from the La Crosse bridges that I bought in a government surplus auction, if anyone would want to see what they look like, or even buy one. It was my intent to resell most of them but then this COVID thing happened and they're all still sitting on my deck.

SSOWorld

Quote from: Highway63 on July 23, 2020, 01:21:11 AM
Can you give me an absolute-latest arrival time? Like, say, noonish? I am going to be working until midnight the night before and will be driving 3 1/2 hours to get there.
Certainly, Noon will work but we can go a bit later.
Quote from: Mdcastle on July 27, 2020, 07:03:45 PM
I may come if it would be possible for me to keep socially distant and stay outdoors.
We are not meeting at the restaurant.  We are going to a park (TBD in La Crosse) on a BYO lunch basis (pretty much on your own).  i'll find a good size shelter to use.  Nearky all time will be outdoors and like what took place at other meets, the sharing of tri-pods will not be allowed and you have the choice to go solo in your car or require masks wearing in your car.  I will be laying out the ground rules next week.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

TheHighwayMan3561

Unfortunately it will depend on if my colleague can return to work so I can take that Saturday off. He has had to take time off due to multiple potential contacts with COVID, and although he and his live-in partner tested negative, now his roommates have tested positive which has reset the clock.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

SSOWorld

https://www.winonapost.com/Opinion/ArticleID/4141/Old-Wagon-Bridge-to-be-dedicated

This link is to a story about the dedication of the old wagon bridge that crossed the Mississippi east channel east of the city. This will be featured on the tour.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

SSOWorld

Itinerary.

Please note this is subject to change, but the plan is to start the tour in La Crosse and end in Winona.  I've also added Pandemic related notes to the appendix (Mask Mandates and Car Pooling)  Regarding the mask mandates, we will follow what is in place on meet day.  Remember that mask use protects each other, not just yourself.

We will be meeting at Pettibone Park.  Check online for available take-out establishments and meet at the shelter mentioned on the itinerary.  We will be beginning the tour at 12:30 pm so try to be there by then. 

For those needing hotels, there are plenty downtown.  Hilton (Hampton and Home2) and Marriott properties (Fairfield and Courtyard) and a Raddison along with some local chains are right there.  There are Wyndham and Choice properties further out - north toward I-90.  I recommend the Hilton and Marriott over Choice and Wyndham due to their reputation with maintenance during the pandemic.

EDIT: Slightly modified to cross I-90 bridge.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

Alps

Quote from: SSOWorld on August 08, 2020, 05:03:48 PM
Draft itinerary.

Please note this is subject to change, but the plan is to start the tour in La Crosse and end in Winona.  I've also added Pandemic related notes to the appendix (Mask Mandates and Car Pooling)  Regarding the mask mandates, we will follow what is in place on meet day.  Remember that mask use protects each other, not just yourself.

We will be meeting at Pettibone Park.  Check online for available take-out establishments and meet at the shelter mentioned on the itinerary.  We will be beginning the tour at 12:30 pm so try to be there by then. 

For those needing hotels, there are plenty downtown.  Hilton (Hampton and Home2) and Marriott properties (Fairfield and Courtyard) and a Raddison along with some local chains are right there.  There are Wyndham and Choice properties further out - north toward I-90.  I recommend the Hilton and Marriott over Choice and Wyndham due to their reputation with maintenance during the pandemic.

In Fredericksburg, VA, the only hotel with a desk worker wearing a mask was Choice. So be vigilant and don't book in advance.

Highway63

Can traveling the I-90 bridge be thrown into the plan? Since that's new I would like to get that in. It would have to be done coming up on 61, east on 90, turn around at Dawson, come west, take rest area exit. It has to be done before the rest area because there's no access to EB 90 once you get off 14/61.

SSOWorld

Quote from: Alps on August 09, 2020, 01:55:22 AM
Quote from: SSOWorld on August 08, 2020, 05:03:48 PM
Draft itinerary.

In Fredericksburg, VA, the only hotel with a desk worker wearing a mask was Choice. So be vigilant and don't book in advance.
I didn't have issues with staff not wearing masks at all at the Hampton Inns and Home2 I stayed at last week in Michigan and Indiana - though one wasn't wearing hers properly (not covering nose), however I have had problems with customer neglecting to do so.  In the area, if staying in small towns, don't rely on businesses enforcing especially in WI since law enforcement is thumbing their noses at the governor.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

SSOWorld

Quote from: Highway63 on August 09, 2020, 01:58:56 AM
Can traveling the I-90 bridge be thrown into the plan? Since that's new I would like to get that in. It would have to be done coming up on 61, east on 90, turn around at Dawson, come west, take rest area exit. It has to be done before the rest area because there's no access to EB 90 once you get off 14/61.
Can be considered - the interchange is a decent view going in from 14/61, but now that you mentioned it you have a good point.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

bandit957

Am I the last person around who really isn't bothered by the lack of masks? I'm from a county with surprisingly few cases, but still.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

thspfc

Quote from: bandit957 on August 09, 2020, 07:07:12 AM

Am I the last person around who really isn't bothered by the lack of masks? I'm from a county with surprisingly few cases, but still.
It's all political views. Some people here are very argumentative about that stuff. Just don't engage with them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.