News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Who do you consider the true pioneer of smooth jazz music?

Started by Pink Jazz, September 15, 2022, 01:15:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who do you consider the true pioneer of smooth jazz music?

George Benson
4 (40%)
Chuck Mangione
1 (10%)
Grover Washington Jr.
2 (20%)
David Sanborn
0 (0%)
Bob James
0 (0%)
Joe Sample
0 (0%)
Lee Ritenour
0 (0%)
Spyro Gyra
0 (0%)
Earl Klugh
0 (0%)
Ramsey Lewis
0 (0%)
Other (specify)
3 (30%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Pink Jazz

I was wondering, who do you consider the true pioneer of the smooth jazz genre?

While a jazz purist would probably say Kenny G due to his immense popularity, there is no denying the genre (not the radio format) existed before his popularity. Of the listed artists, I would probably give the most credit to George Benson with hits such as Breezin' and Affirmation.

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: Takumi on September 15, 2022, 01:20:04 PM
Dave Brubeck

I don't consider Dave Brubeck as a smooth jazz artist. His music was more of a predecessor to what we call smooth jazz.

Henry

I remember hearing the late Ramsey Lewis cover Dobie Gray's The "In" Crowd on the radio. Given that his version came just one year after Gray's, I wouldn't be surprised if a few people believed Lewis' version came first. In fact, Lewis' 1965 cover probably came out while Gray's 1964 hit was still charting, although I'm not exactly sure about that.

A similar case can be made for fellow Chicago-born piano/keyboard player Herbie Hancock (starting with the Head Hunters album from 1973), but was he ever featured on that format himself? I know many smooth jazz artists have covered his works over the years (such as Chameleon, Watermelon Man and Cantaloupe Island), so he may have been a major influence on the genre as a whole with his always-evolving sound.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

kphoger

I'm not even sure I'd call Spyro Gyra "smooth jazz".  Maybe Kenny G has simply defined what the genre is, so anything dissimilar to it doesn't register as "smooth jazz" to me?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: kphoger on September 15, 2022, 01:42:54 PM
I'm not even sure I'd call Spyro Gyra "smooth jazz".  Maybe Kenny G has simply defined what the genre is, so anything dissimilar to it doesn't register as "smooth jazz" to me?

For me Kenny G doesn't even represent the genre as a whole and is overrated as an artist. Very few of today's smooth jazz artists consider Kenny G an idol and all trace their music to the originals back in the 1970s. Even Kenny G himself considers Grover Washington Jr. to be his idol.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

TheHighwayMan3561

self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: kphoger on September 15, 2022, 04:57:16 PM
Taraf de Haïdouks

They are not even a smooth jazz group.

Come on, many of these answers are wack and have no knowledge about the history of smooth jazz.

SectorZ

Quote from: Pink Jazz on September 15, 2022, 05:30:56 PM
Taraf de Haïdouks

Come on, many of these answers are wack and have no knowledge about the history of smooth jazz.

You posed a question that is going to get funny responses, especially on a site not devoted to nor filled with legions of experts in smooth jazz.

I voted for George Benson BTW. I respect the hell out of his style.

kphoger

Taraf de Haïdouks

Sorry, I assumed the serious discussion ended with mention of Ozzy.

By the way, thanks for reminding me about Spyro Gyra.  My work day benefitted from the album Morning Dance today.
Male pronouns, please.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Taraf de Haïdouks

These are the same people who don't get Geography either, as evidence of many of them campaigning to get Kentucky including in the Midwest.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

skluth

I've always thought smooth jazz came out of bossa nova, so someone like Stan Getz or Antônio Carlos Jobim.

JayhawkCO

Taraf de Haïdouks

You do realize that approximately 99.9% of Americans cannot name a smooth jazz performer other than Kenny G, right?

I might as well ask who is the best germanium miner in the world.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: JayhawkCO on September 16, 2022, 02:29:35 PM
Taraf de Haïdouks

You do realize that approximately 99.9% of Americans cannot name a smooth jazz performer other than Kenny G, right?

Are you sure George Benson isn't well known enough to the general public? He did have his vocal hits, but he also had hits such as Breezin' and Affirmation. I am also pretty sure many people have also heard Chuck Mangione's Feels So Good.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Pink Jazz on September 16, 2022, 02:32:30 PM
Taraf de Haïdouks

Are you sure George Benson isn't well known enough to the general public? He did have his vocal hits, but he also had hits such as Breezin' and Affirmation. I am also pretty sure many people have also heard Chuck Mangione's Feels So Good.

I, personally, a person who is pretty eclectic with musical taste, has not heard of either of them. Just played Breezin' on Spotify and doesn't sound familiar, and I listened to a lot of 70's music growing up.

Pink Jazz

If you are a fan of King of the Hill, you will know about Chuck Mangione.

skluth

Quote from: JayhawkCO on September 16, 2022, 02:35:12 PM
Taraf de Haïdouks

I, personally, a person who is pretty eclectic with musical taste, has not heard of either of them. Just played Breezin' on Spotify and doesn't sound familiar, and I listened to a lot of 70's music growing up.

Benson also had a huge hit with a cover of the Drifters "On Broadway" which I prefer over the original hit.

Rothman

Quote from: Pink Jazz on September 16, 2022, 02:42:48 PM
If you are a fan of King of the Hill, you will know about Chuck Mangione.
Or Doctor Strange...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

I, personally, a person who is pretty eclectic with musical taste, has not heard of either of them.

Same here.  Very eclectic taste in music.  Almost went for a music major.  Never heard of them.
Male pronouns, please.

skluth

Quote from: kphoger on September 16, 2022, 04:02:22 PM

I, personally, a person who is pretty eclectic with musical taste, has not heard of either of them.

Same here.  Very eclectic taste in music.  Almost went for a music major.  Never heard of them.
:banghead:

Hot Rod Hootenanny

I think its a generational thing. Chuck Mangione, George Benson, Spyro Gyra, Grover Washington, Lee Reitenour all were off the "popular charts" before 1985.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

formulanone

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on September 16, 2022, 04:38:12 PM

I think its a generational thing. Chuck Mangione, George Benson, Spyro Gyra, Grover Washington, Lee Reitenour all were off the "popular charts" before 1985.

There was actually a time when instrumental music hit the charts more than once every 30 years.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on September 16, 2022, 04:38:12 PM

Understood, but the OP is 6 years younger than me, and seems flummoxed that someone wouldn't have heard of them, which, to me, makes it less of a generational thing and more of a "this wasn't played on the radio so why would I have heard it?" kind of thing.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.