News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Recent posts

Mid-South / Re: Pelican Island Causeway hi...
Last post by Max Rockatansky - May 15, 2024, 11:26:08 PM
Probably isn't happening more frequently but rather just being noticed because bridge impacts are a hot news topic.
Mid-South / Re: Pelican Island Causeway hi...
Last post by bing101 - May 15, 2024, 11:22:19 PM
True one would think that this would have greater scrutiny too.
Off-Topic / Re: Minor things that bother y...
Last post by Rothman - May 15, 2024, 11:09:36 PM
People who click on clickbait bother me.
General Highway Talk / Re: Beltways That Work, and Be...
Last post by Rothman - May 15, 2024, 11:02:33 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on May 15, 2024, 02:01:44 PMIH 610 in Houston definitely don't work. Too much traffic jams. Mostly an inner city route with all the sprawl concentrated along it.

Your criteria's faulty.  I don't see how an inner city beltway "doesn't work," especially with Houston's concentric system.  Just because it jams?  Then most beltways "don't work" by that one, and, given how a bunch I can think of off-hand still keep traffic outside of a city core, I think they work.
Sports / Re: General NBA thread
Last post by The Ghostbuster - May 15, 2024, 10:40:28 PM
Well, the Cleveland Cavaliers season is over. The Boston Celtics won both the game 113-98 and the series 4-1. Although it was expected that the Celtics would prevail, my favorite team was missing a few players: Donavon Mitchell, Jarret Allen, and Caris LeVert. Still, the Cavs made it to the second round of the playoffs for the first time since 2018, so it was a successful season.
Pacific Southwest / Re: Westside Parkway & Centenn...
Last post by FredAkbar - May 15, 2024, 10:38:59 PM
Quote from: ClassicHasClass on May 12, 2024, 07:23:31 PMIf you go down to the CA 58 EB exit (which has always been split between CA 58 EB and Stockdale Hwy), the Stockdale Hwy exit is still there, but does not have a CA 58 shield or "TO CA 58."

But, are they still planning to permanently close that Stockdale ramp? The last I saw was some articles saying the closure had been delayed until some later undetermined time.
Off-Topic / Re: San Antonio now home to so...
Last post by ErmineNotyours - May 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM
Restoring order to the universe: strip mall Burger King with no drive-thru, North Vancouver, BC. https://maps.app.goo.gl/tLDJU1STgJAFQVP26

McDonald's used to have a drive-thru only location just outside Fort Lewis, south of Tacoma, Washington, but they converted it to full-service restaurant.  (Fuzzy 2008 image: https://maps.app.goo.gl/DftkpLJbL3czJ6h77 )

Also McDonald's experimented with McDonald's Express a few decades ago to respond to the rise of Subway.  To fit in to drive-thru-less strip malls, they scaled down their menu to drop Quarter Pounder-type burgers and milkshakes, and had the customers draw their own soft drinks.  That idea outlasted the Expresses, and I haven't heard much about them since.
Pacific Southwest / Re: Why I-5's most popular sto...
Last post by Max Rockatansky - May 15, 2024, 09:50:10 PM
Quote from: ClassicHasClass on May 15, 2024, 09:44:46 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 13, 2024, 05:09:35 PMQuick aside about Bravo Farms, I can't speak for the Kettleman location but the one in Traver has an antique store with fair prices on highway signs.

Just north of the regular gift shop:
Quote from: ClassicHasClass on May 15, 2024, 09:44:46 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 13, 2024, 05:09:35 PMQuick aside about Bravo Farms, I can't speak for the Kettleman location but the one in Traver has an antique store with fair prices on highway signs.

Where? I know they used to. Where did they move them to?

I like the Fastrip in Delano, personally. That's usually my last gas stop when heading into So Cal.

Where? I know they used to. Where did they move them to?

I like the Fastrip in Delano, personally. That's usually my last gas stop when heading into So Cal.

Just north of the regular gift shop:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/SCB8maMafzddACx57?g_st=ic
Great Lakes and Ohio Valley / Re: Illinois notes
Last post by edwaleni - May 15, 2024, 09:47:59 PM
Quote from: captkirk_4 on May 14, 2024, 09:10:45 AM
Quote from: paulthemapguy on May 13, 2024, 10:31:33 AMI was thinking that the 57/74 interchange would be done by late 2024, but even the project website now says the project will continue into 2026.

That highway work in Effingham seemed to be torn up for a decade and Kankakee seems to be always under construction. I remember going to that Eclipse in 2017 and last year when I drove the same stretch they had only been able to six lane another 10 miles or so. No rush to get anything done anymore.

Illinois was functionally broke in 2017. All IDOT projects were on a slow path to completion.

A constitutional amendment and double the taxes, its a different story today.
Pacific Southwest / Re: I-5 Stockton Channel Viadu...
Last post by ClassicHasClass - May 15, 2024, 09:46:45 PM
Well, *that*'s gonna suck during construction. Our usual cutover is CA 4. CA 12 isn't much of an alternative.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.