Has the flashing yellow left turn signal made it to your state?

Started by NJRoadfan, June 17, 2010, 10:58:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doorknob60

A few of the newer intersections in Bend have them, like most of the ones on 27th st, and a few on the north end of 3rd. They're really nice, although they are a few intersections that really need them and don't have them :/ Like Olney and 3rd, Olney has them, but turning left from 3rd onto Olney doesn't have them, and whenever I do that there's always a good 10+ second window where there is no cross traffic, but it's red and I can't turn and have to wait all the way for the next cycle. That would be fine, except they recently replaced the signals on that intersection to add the flashing yellow on Olney, but didn't put them on 3rd. Also Greenwood and Wall in downtown should have them, and that light is poorly timed during non peek times, so turning left from Greenwood onto Wall you can be sitting there for 30-45 seconds and that whole time there is a green for the straight traffic and NO cross traffic. Most of the time that area is congested though, but at non peek hours, it doesn't work well. Just minor annoyances though, I shouldn't complain :P

blawp

Pasadena just installed a new one at Los Robles and Union.

swbrotha100

It's made it to Arizona. Scattered around the Phoenix area. Saw a few in Tucson years ago. Of course, Tucson goes overboard (in my opinion) with flashing yellow arrows.

agentsteel53

Quote from: bulkyorled on April 10, 2012, 11:10:56 PM
Pasadena, CA has a couple up Arroyo Pkwy but that seems to be the one and only street I've ever seen with them.

I just spotted a couple on Magnolia Ave in El Cajon. 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Zmapper

A little pet peeve of mine is with the FYA and the walk signal. If I push the walk button and start crossing the street with the white pedestrian lit up, the traffic signal will still display a flashing yellow arrow, directing traffic right into my path. What should happen instead is the FYA should change to red if I press the walk button, because traffic isn't allowed to turn while a pedestrian is in the crosswalk anyway.

NE2

Traffic isn't allowed to turn while opposing traffic is going either. The FYA means that you can turn if no conflicting movements are present - be those movements opposing vehicles or pedestrians. It's certainly possible to have a walk signal, actuated by a pedestrian, with no pedestrians crossing - he may have already completed the crossing, or gotten impatient with a ridiculously long wait and crossed anyway when safe (and perhaps even legal, if he crosses outside the crosswalk and the next intersection has no light).
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

bulkyorled

They're seemingly useless in Pasadena in my opinion. The only time I notice that it flashes yellow is at night when no one is out anyways. Why not just add a 5 light signal and screw the flashing yellow.
I think at least the one on Arroyo Pkwy & California Bl, will turn from flashing yellow to green right away when you touch the sensor, also making it a little useless.
Your local illuminated sign enthusiast

Signs Im looking for: CA only; 1, 2, 14, 118, 134, 170, 210 (CA), and any california city illuminated sign.

kphoger

Quote from: NE2 on June 26, 2012, 04:48:17 AM
Traffic isn't allowed to turn while opposing traffic is going either. The FYA means that you can turn if no conflicting movements are present - be those movements opposing vehicles or pedestrians. It's certainly possible to have a walk signal, actuated by a pedestrian, with no pedestrians crossing - he may have already completed the crossing, or gotten impatient with a ridiculously long wait and crossed anyway when safe (and perhaps even legal, if he crosses outside the crosswalk and the next intersection has no light).

Also, a solid green ball on a simple three-lamp stoplight means traffic is permitted to turn left in the same way.  When I push the WALK button, I don't expect parallel traffic to get a red light.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

bulkyorled

Your local illuminated sign enthusiast

Signs Im looking for: CA only; 1, 2, 14, 118, 134, 170, 210 (CA), and any california city illuminated sign.

Takumi

I spotted a pair this morning at the western intersection of VA 10 and US 258 in Smithfield.

Edit: Several were on NC 168, and the US 460/258 junction in Windsor, VA has a full set as well.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: Takumi on July 14, 2012, 12:00:05 PM
I spotted a pair this morning at the western intersection of VA 10 and US 258 in Smithfield.

Edit: Several were on NC 168, and the US 460/258 junction in Windsor, VA has a full set as well.

Damn, those have all been installed in the past year. Before I moved the only ones VDOT had put up were on US 60 east of Williamsburg.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

US71

They are multiplying here (Ft Smith, AR).

City just upgraded 4 more intersections about a week ago, all on the south end of town.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

rickmastfan67

Still haven't seen any here in the Pittsburgh area.

jemacedo9

New flashing yellow arrow in Western NY:  https://www.dot.ny.gov/portal/page/portal/news/press-releases/2012/2012-08-27

This is a pretty bad intersection during the rush hours, as people are usually in a hurry to make the turn.  I'm gonna be curious to see if a flashing yellow really triggers people to be more patient vs a dark signal.

SignBridge

Well, good for NYSDOT. I figured they would just cheap out and keep using traditional doghouses or side-by-side's  mounted over the line separating the left-turn lane and the thru lane. Known as "shared signal faces for protected/permissive turns". The Manual does allow that option. Here on Long Island I'm still waiting to see if/when Nassau County DPW starts installing flashing arrrows, but I have the same cynicism about them as I do NYSDOT.

vdeane

IMO doghouses are better.  I HATE dedicated left turn signals.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

SignBridge

tradephoric

There's been a lot of press lately about the FYA in SE Michigan ever since Oakland County executive L. Brooks Patterson was involved in a rather serious accident at one:

Frank Beckmann talked about the incident with MDOT director Kirk Steudle that can be found here:
http://www.wjr.com/FlashPlayer/default.asp?SPID=34613&ID=2512143

Brian556

Here is a situation where the flashing yellow arrow could be very helpful-but could it be used here?
This is Dallas Dr/Bell Av @ Eagle Dr in Denton Tx. The right 2 lanes are free-flow with no signals. The left turn movement used to be protected only, with two three-light heads w/ green arrows. It now has a protected and permissive phases. The issue here is that the permissive phase could be confused for protected since the signals control only the left-turn lane. I could see how this could confuse people even with the signs. However, I don't know if the flashing yellow arrow could be used here. The use of green balls w/green arrow is an issue since the thru movement is not signalized. This situation, while it sort of already exists, would be an issue since the flashing yellow arrow would need to be displayed wirth a green ball?
This is a very interesting situation to debate from an engineering perspective.

Current setup

Previous setup, from a different angle:

cpzilliacus

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on July 15, 2012, 08:41:05 PM
Quote from: Takumi on July 14, 2012, 12:00:05 PM

Damn, those have all been installed in the past year. Before I moved the only ones VDOT had put up were on US 60 east of Williamsburg.

I just yesterday saw the first one I've ever seen with my own eyes in Virginia - the intersection of Va. 9 (Charles Town Pike) and Va. 287 (Berlin Turnpike) east of Hillsboro in Loudoun County.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

route56

Quote from: Brian556 on August 27, 2012, 10:47:11 PM
Here is a situation where the flashing yellow arrow could be very helpful-but could it be used here?
This is Dallas Dr/Bell Av @ Eagle Dr in Denton Tx. The right 2 lanes are free-flow with no signals. The left turn movement used to be protected only, with two three-light heads w/ green arrows. It now has a protected and permissive phases. The issue here is that the permissive phase could be confused for protected since the signals control only the left-turn lane. I could see how this could confuse people even with the signs. However, I don't know if the flashing yellow arrow could be used here. The use of green balls w/green arrow is an issue since the thru movement is not signalized. This situation, while it sort of already exists, would be an issue since the flashing yellow arrow would need to be displayed wirth a green ball?
This is a very interesting situation to debate from an engineering perspective.

A Flashing yellow arrow does not need to be tied to a circular green indication. In fact, when the FYA was introduced here in Kansas, the so-called "Dallas Phasing" where left-turning traffic opposite a protected left turn is given a permitted left turn, also began to be utilized.

At this particular intersection... Single-aspect signals on the through lanes with a green straight-through arrow would be advisable. Also, since there's only one left-turn lane, two left turn signals may be overkill.
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

Brian556

QuoteAt this particular intersection... Single-aspect signals on the through lanes with a green straight-through arrow would be advisable. Also, since there's only one left-turn lane, two left turn signals may be overkill.

I noticed that all intersections similar to this in Orlando had the single-indication green arrows. As for the two left-turn signals, the MUTCD requires a minimum of two signal heads per approach.

vdeane

Quote from: SignBridge on August 27, 2012, 10:09:51 PM
Why Deanej?
What's the point of them?  They shouldn't be used in normal circumstances; left turning traffic shouldn't be forced to sit, twiddling their thumbs, even when it would be safe to make their turn just because someone decided to put in a dedicated left signal instead of a doghouse.  And if a flashing yellow signal is put in timed like a doghouse, it becomes pointless, as the existing rule (yield to oncoming traffic unless you have an arrow) is more than sufficient; the only difference is that it weeds out the people who are too stupid to drive safely.

The solution is not making it easier for dumb people to drive; it's to get them off the road entirely.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

route56

Quote from: Brian556 on August 28, 2012, 12:13:07 AM
I noticed that all intersections similar to this in Orlando had the single-indication green arrows. As for the two left-turn signals, the MUTCD requires a minimum of two signal heads per approach.

The single-indication green arrows would accommodate the MUTCD requirements.
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

NE2

Quote from: deanej on August 28, 2012, 10:53:29 AM
And if a flashing yellow signal is put in timed like a doghouse, it becomes pointless, as the existing rule (yield to oncoming traffic unless you have an arrow) is more than sufficient; the only difference is that it weeds out the people who are too stupid to drive safely.
A flashing yellow can be on next to a red ball.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.