Has the flashing yellow left turn signal made it to your state?

Started by NJRoadfan, June 17, 2010, 10:58:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

abc2VE

Quote from: 74/171FAN on December 08, 2012, 09:45:58 AM
Quote from: Takumi on October 23, 2012, 10:56:20 AM
The biggest candidate for a flashing yellow arrow I can think of is in Colonial Heights, VA at the intersection of Temple Avenue (VA 144) and the ramp to/from I-95. The yellow trap is so common there, with countless accidents in my lifetime, that there are two or three "Left Turn Must Yield On Green Ball" signs and an LED "Left Turn Must Yield" sign on the ground-mounted left turn signal, which lights up during the permissive cycle. Of course, there are still accidents there on occasion, but an FYA would likely lessen them even more.

OT somewhat, but I do not even want to imagine how much worse that intersection would be now without the ramp from VA 144 NB to I-95 NB.  Before the ramp, I really don't think a FYA would have helped much.  Anyway another FYA is about to be installed on US 29 in Nelson County.

http://virginiadot.org/newsroom/lynchburg/2012/flashing_yellow_arrow_comes62073.asp

It still is pretty bad with the left turn lane being too short and the lack of a right turn signal from I-95 which backs up horribly during rush hour

Mark68

They're starting to become common with new signal installations here in Aurora, CO. I've seen a few of the 4-section variety and one or two of the 3-section variety. Haven't seen any in Denver yet, most intersections still have either the doghouse or protected left-turn signals.
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

Daniel

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 23, 2012, 10:10:38 AM
Quote from: tradephoric on October 10, 2012, 09:16:48 PM
Does anyone find this FYA operation a bit odd?  This is at Saginaw Hwy & I-69 on ramp in Lansing, Michigan. 

The only thing I would find odd, if that installation were in Virginia, is that there's no sign saying "Left Turn Yield on Flashing [arrow graphic]." The flashing yellow arrow is uncommon here, and the ones I've seen were installed by the City of Alexandria rather than VDOT, but the ones I've seen have a sign. Of course I recognize that other states might not use a sign and that the installation might be a lot more common elsewhere than it is here.

But I think "NE2" is correct, it seems like a classic place for a flashing yellow arrow. I've encountered several intersections lately with red arrows where the flashing yellow would be far more appropriate. See picture below from Frontier Drive in Springfield, Virginia. I was waiting to turn left to go to the bank and, as you can see, it was very easy to see that nobody was coming the other way. (The road onto which I was turning leads down into the car park for Springfield Mall, although the mall itself is currently closed for renovation.) The more common installation in Virginia would be a doghouse signal with the familiar "Left Turn Yield on [green circle graphic]," but whether you use that or a flashing yellow arrow, it's damn annoying when they throw up a red arrow instead and you have to sit there wasting gas staring at an unnecessary red light.

Oh I find that so bloody annoying. Where I live in Michigan, almost all the turning lights are restricted totally, even ones at intersections where the turning light is barely necessary and you can see a half mile ahead. I live in Ann Arbor and I find it really ironic because of the city's famous "eco ego", yet almost everywhere else in Michigan, it's almost all much more efficient flashing red balls or flashing yellow arrows. There are also a few "No Turn on Red" intersections with a right turn only lane and left turning lights for the cross traffic, but no right arrow, when one could very well be fitted. I personally think it's all bait. People are tempted to jump the red, do so, get caught by a watching cop they didn't see, get a citation, and thus more money for the city.

Revive 755

It looks like there may be some installed in Kane County, Illinois in the near future

http://kdot.countyofkane.org/Lists/Consultant%20SOI/Attachments/112/RSOI%20-%202013%20HSIP%20Project%20.pdf (See third paragraph, first bullet point on Page 2)

EDIT: Also mention of it in http://www.countyofkane.org/Contracts/2012/Transportation/Phase%20II%20Eng%20Svic%20Agmt%20ESI%20Consultants%20Highway%20Safety%20Projects%20Sec%2011-00-418-00-SP.pdf (may be slow to load)

M3019C LPS20

As far as I know, it is not in use (as of yet) in the state of New Jersey. I know it is in use in certain parts of the state of New York.

Aside from the state itself, I am aware of one that exists in the city of New York. Although the configuration is slightly different, and its purpose is also somewhat different.

The traffic signal is composed of three signal indications (Red Arrow/Amber Arrow/Flashing Amber Arrow), and it is actually a right turn signal. Its purpose to motorists is to alert them to yield to pedestrians (when they make right turns at the corner). This alert is, of course, indicated by the flashing amber arrow. The set-up that I am aware of is in Brooklyn. It's at the corner of Atlantic Avenue and Flatbush Avenue.

Personally, I find the set-up there pointless, since many signs that tell drivers to always yield to pedestrians exist throughout the boroughs, and drivers should be aware of that. Although I forget where I am.   :-/

ztonyg

Quote from: swbrotha100 on June 25, 2012, 03:12:38 PM
It's made it to Arizona. Scattered around the Phoenix area. Saw a few in Tucson years ago. Of course, Tucson goes overboard (in my opinion) with flashing yellow arrows.

This type of signal is spreading like wildfire in Arizona now (although I don't believe that the City of Phoenix has adopted it yet).  Chandler, Peoria, and Scottsdale all use it (what I've seen).

Interestingly enough Tucson's flashing yellow arrow is not for LEFT turns as Tucson loathes protected left signals but rather Tucson uses a flashing yellow RIGHT turn signal.  I can see Tucson going to flashing yellow at the few leading left intersections that they have. 

vdeane

The one on NY 441 is now operating as a flashing yellow in both directions.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

US71

I didn't see any on my trip to Louisiana and Mississippi.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Big John

M3019C LPS20

As I mentioned in my previous post, New York City uses the flashing amber arrow in some parts. It has a different purpose, though, and it warns drivers to yield to pedestrians when they make a right turn. Below, is an example of a set-up that was just recently installed in downtown Brooklyn. At Amity Street and Court Street. Prior to when these were installed, the original traffic signals were ordinary red/amber/green traffic signals.

NE2

Quote from: M3019C LPS20 on April 01, 2013, 09:04:25 PM
As I mentioned in my previous post, New York City uses the flashing amber arrow in some parts. It has a different purpose, though, and it warns drivers to yield to pedestrians when they make a right turn.
This is the same purpose (a green arrow cannot be used across a walk phase). The only problem is the positioning: colorblind people might think it's a flashing green.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

Quote from: NE2 on April 01, 2013, 09:35:33 PM
As I mentioned in my previous post, New York City uses the flashing amber arrow in some parts. It has a different purpose, though, and it warns drivers to yield to pedestrians when they make a right turn.
This is the same purpose (a green arrow cannot be used across a walk phase). The only problem is the positioning: colorblind people might think it's a flashing green.
Flashing green is not allowed in the MUTCD. Problem solved.

M3019C LPS20

Quote from: Petite Disorganized NIMBY of Nimbya on April 01, 2013, 10:14:01 PM
Quote from: NE2 on April 01, 2013, 09:35:33 PM

I recall that the flashing green was an old form a protected left turn movement in Canada. I wonder if it is still in use.

swbrotha100

It's made it to Arizona. i haven't seen any outside the Phoenix area. I was in Tucson a couple weeks ago and was surprised to not see any there, especially considering how much the city of Tucson LOVES to use unconventional traffic signals.

Ian

Quote from: M3019C LPS20 on April 01, 2013, 10:39:14 PM
I recall that the flashing green was an old form a protected left turn movement in Canada. I wonder if it is still in use.

It is.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Big John

Quote from: PennDOTFan on April 01, 2013, 11:21:44 PM
Quote from: M3019C LPS20 on April 01, 2013, 10:39:14 PM

It is.

Ontario driving guide says the flashing green is meant for turning traffic.  Applies to a rapidly flashing green ball, or a flashing green arrow.

kphoger

Quote from: M3019C LPS20, v 3.0(b) on April 01, 2013, 10:39:14 PM
Quote from: The Great NE2 on April 01, 2013, 10:14:01 PM

Wondering what Canada has to do with the MUTCD.......
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

agentsteel53

is flashing green allowed in the Vienna Convention of 1968?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

vdeane

In Alanland, the flashing green is prohibited where required.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

SD Mapman

Flashing yellow sighted in Spearfish and Belle fourche, South Dakota. There you go.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

roadman65

I believe now its the new norm in Orange County, FL.  A new installation on Sand Lake Road near Florida Mall has it, as well as a new forthcoming signal on Orange Blossom Trail at a future Wal Mart nearby is going to have it.  Other signals that are new in the Orlando area (as signals seem to keep popping up like crabgrass here) seem to be having them installed.

Maybe now, we will not get the drivers who cannot differentiate between a left turn signal and a protected left as this should even make it for a simple moron to figure out its meaning.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

D-Dey65

Quote from: roadman65 on April 13, 2013, 12:28:21 PM
I believe now its the new norm in Orange County, FL.
I know for certain that they exist at random intersections along FL 44 in Inverness, most of which are along the concurrency with US 41.

The first one is in front of the Old Courthouse.

roadman65

Quote from: D-Dey65 on April 19, 2013, 12:24:12 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on April 13, 2013, 12:28:21 PM
I believe now its the new norm in Orange County, FL.
I know for certain that they exist at random intersections along FL 44 in Inverness, most of which are along the concurrency with US 41.

The first one is in front of the Old Courthouse.

You know, with these any road agency could assign part time left turn signals and the rest of the time normal operations.

The way it is set up, you could program the "RED" ball or arrow to stay on during rush hours or any peak travel times, and when traffic is light, flash the yellow turn arrows.  Delaware has had this for years, although maybe not the flashing arrow as this, but with a flashing red on left turn signal heads.  Of course, this is an alternative as well.  Just flash the red left turn arrow or ball when traffic is light.  Considering gas is expensive, how much of it do we waste for waiting for left turn signals when the opposing lanes are very clear.  Having a P/T left turn signal is wise.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.