News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Has the flashing yellow left turn signal made it to your state?

Started by NJRoadfan, June 17, 2010, 10:58:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amtrakprod

Quote from: SignBridge on June 13, 2020, 08:32:29 PM
New York DOT Region-10 on Long Island is going crazy installing FYA's at a lot of intersections in Nassau County whether they're needed or not. They're doing a lot of serious overkill. What's ironic about this is that the FHWA created the FYA primarily to deal with the issue of Dallas Phasing. In that set-up a green-ball appears over the left-turn lane at the same time that the thru lanes are red.

It will be interesting to see if the number of left turning accidents decreases at all these intersections in Nassau County, N.Y. where FYA's have been installed. Or if they stay about the same.
I'm guessing there will be a small increase (depending on the drivers in your area), then an exponentially decaying rate of accidents.
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

RestrictOnTheHanger

New York DOT Region-10 on Long Island is going crazy installing FYA's at a lot of intersections in Nassau County whether they're needed or not. They're doing a lot of serious overkill. What's ironic about this is that the FHWA created the FYA primarily to deal with the issue of Dallas Phasing. In that set-up a green-ball appears over the left-turn lane at the same time that the thru lanes are red.

It will be interesting to see if the number of left turning accidents decreases at all these intersections in Nassau County, N.Y. where FYA's have been installed. Or if they stay about the same.

Get ready for a bunch more, a lot of intersections on Jericho Turnpike in both Nassau and Suffolk are getting them in the near future due to a traffic signal replacement and pedestrian safety program.

I wouldn't call the FYA overkill though, it's probably that NYSDOT (or at least R10) is trying to standardize equipment and such in new installations. Personally I think it's a good change, and Nassau/Suffolk/town transportation departments should also install them.

Amtrakprod

Quote from: RestrictOnTheHanger on June 13, 2020, 10:19:14 PM

Get ready for a bunch more, a lot of intersections on Jericho Turnpike in both Nassau and Suffolk are getting them in the near future due to a traffic signal replacement and pedestrian safety program.

I wouldn't call the FYA overkill though, it's probably that NYSDOT (or at least R10) is trying to standardize equipment and such in new installations. Personally I think it's a good change, and Nassau/Suffolk/town transportation departments should also install them.
I agree. It's the new phase of permissive left turn signals! So WV is the only state without them (MD does have one intersection with them but I forget where, and DE has FYA for other reasons (plus both already have fra)).

iPhone
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

Amtrakprod

Quote from: Amtrakprod on June 13, 2020, 10:40:23 PM
Quote from: RestrictOnTheHanger on June 13, 2020, 10:19:14 PM

I agree. It's the new phase of permissive left turn signals! So WV is the only state without them (MD does have one intersection with them but I forget where, and DE has FYA for other reasons (plus both already have fra)).

iPhone
Oh yeah, CT doesn't have them either.

iPhone

mrsman

Quote from: Amtrakprod on June 13, 2020, 07:04:01 PM
Quote from: Mr. Matté on June 13, 2020, 05:05:00 PM
Well, I think I spotted a flashing yellow arrow in New Jersey today! Unfortunately, it's not on a divided state highway's left turn for which there is good sight distance like NJ 33 and Milford Road (which I used to use daily and will be going back to doing every other week starting the week after next).

It's for a right turn when a yield sign could probably be more than sufficient: CR 529 / Ethel Road in Piscataway, GSV from before its activation: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.5333027,-74.4194722,3a,47.5y,200.7h,87.04t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sgqw481rS8VoiDYIoC5TCiQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
Oh my gosh!!! Piscataway too (which is the place I know best in NJ!)! This is insane! Great job (not really they were really late to install this), but still a nice installation. Wish they put FYAs for the left turns too but still really significant.

iPhone

It will be interesting to see how this plays out in practice.  I imagine that they will have red arrow when peds cross (which will probably coincide with cross traffic on Ethel and/or the left turning traffic from Stelton to Ethel has green arrow),  green arrow coinciding with the time when Ethel allows left onto Stelton, and FYA the rest of the time, which is the majority of the signal cycle.  I see that this picture was taken during several phases of development of the signal, as it is weird to see a 4 section signal on the mast arm, but 5 section signals over on the left.

If the original signal timing doesn't change at all, and doghouse were perfectly safe installations without a yellow trap possibility, then I agree that simply changing to FYA is a waste.

But if they are doing it with the possibility that they may allow for changing signal patterns, maybe based on dynamic models to allow for both leading and lagging left turn configurations based on actual conditions, then yes it is a worthwhile change.

jeffandnicole

Well, I think I spotted a flashing yellow arrow in New Jersey today! Unfortunately, it's not on a divided state highway's left turn for which there is good sight distance like NJ 33 and Milford Road (which I used to use daily and will be going back to doing every other week starting the week after next).

It's for a right turn when a yield sign could probably be more than sufficient: CR 529 / Ethel Road in Piscataway, GSV from before its activation: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.5333027,-74.4194722,3a,47.5y,200.7h,87.04t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sgqw481rS8VoiDYIoC5TCiQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
Oh my gosh!!! Piscataway too (which is the place I know best in NJ!)! This is insane! Great job (not really they were really late to install this), but still a nice installation. Wish they put FYAs for the left turns too but still really significant.

iPhone

How would FYA benefit the intersection? The light will have the green arrows first, then motorists will be permitted to turn left on green. At no point here would a FYA be a better option.

And that goes with my opinion that many people only see this as a fad they want installed, without giving any thought as to how it would actually improve the intersection.

Amtrakprod

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 14, 2020, 09:34:54 AM

iPhone

How would FYA benefit the intersection? The light will have the green arrows first, then motorists will be permitted to turn left on green. At no point here would a FYA be a better option.

And that goes with my opinion that many people only see this as a fad they want installed, without giving any thought as to how it would actually improve the intersection.

Most roads in NJ get busy during rush hour, could be a protected left then. If they want a Lead-Lag, then they could use it. Safer preemption timings. I could go on and on.

cl94

Not exactly. The FYA was created in Michigan to replace their flashing red ball and spread nationwide to create a unified protected-permissive standard, particularly where a turn movement may be protected-only at certain times of day. It replaces Dallas phasing, yes, but that was not the original purpose.

NYSDOT policy in most regions is to use FYAs for dedicated left turn lanes on new installations. They're not retrofitting existing installations with FYAs like some other states are (Massachusetts in particular), but are including them when a signal is due for replacement. Some of the first ones were at locations adjacent to railroad crossings and where phasing changes based on time of day. There is also a move to eliminate yellow traps wherever possible, which the FYA accomplishes. With right turn permissive-only FYAs, it helps to reinforce that pedestrians have the right of way. This has been used extensively in NYC where an exclusive turn lane exists.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

roadfro

Quote from: cl94 on June 14, 2020, 12:26:36 PM

Not exactly. The FYA was created in Michigan to replace their flashing red ball and spread nationwide to create a unified protected-permissive standard, particularly where a turn movement may be protected-only at certain times of day. It replaces Dallas phasing, yes, but that was not the original purpose.

Not exactly either. NCHRP report 493, which conducted the initial nationwide research on PPLT displays that eventually led to the FHWA adopting the FYA in the MUTCD, indicates the first FYA displays as we now know them were originally implemented in Reno, NV. (FYAs were in installed at five locations around Reno in the 1990s, but installations were removed prior to 2001 due to changes in the city's traffic engineering staff.)

Living in Reno since 2001, I can tell you that there's no real corridor usage of lead-lag PPLT phasing that would necessitate Dallas Phasing here. So I can only assume the intent of Reno's original FYAs was to have a better PPLT display. The fact that FYAs ended up working better for Dallas Phasing situations was likely a bonus discovered after being installed/studied elsewhere.

EDIT: added underlined words to complete thought.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

cl94

And this would be why I shouldn't trust Wikipedia...

I knew that Nevada and Michigan were the first places these were installed, guess what I read got the order wrong. But yeah, the point about Dallas phasing stands.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Amtrakprod on June 14, 2020, 11:46:19 AM

iPhone

Most roads in NJ get busy during rush hour, could be a protected left then. If they want a Lead-Lag, then they could use it. Safer preemption timings. I could go on and on.

Not without an engineering study you couldn't.

NJ generally will use the most restrictive left turn signal based on studies. So if they're comfortable with permissive left turns, a FYA to create protective left turns would make the FYA less popular.

NJ almost never uses lead-lag. And in a case like this, unless both directions get a lead-lag at the same time, it would actually create the yellow trap situation many say are trying to be avoided.

Safer preemption timings? Huh? Thats not needed here.

You could go on and on, but for intersections like this there's no reason to invent the wheel, and there continues to be nothing that would make it a safer intersection with a FYA.

Amtrakprod

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 14, 2020, 02:24:19 PM

iPhone

NJ generally will use the most restrictive left turn signal based on studies. So if they're comfortable with permissive left turns, a FYA to create protective left turns would make the FYA less popular.

NJ almost never uses lead-lag. And in a case like this, unless both directions get a lead-lag at the same time, it would actually create the yellow trap situation many say are trying to be avoided.

You could go on and on, but for intersections like this there's no reason to invent the wheel, and there continues to be nothing that would make it a safer intersection with a FYA.

So you are telling me that this signal would not give a yellow trap if a fire truck came? I don't think so.....

cl94

Quote from: Amtrakprod on June 14, 2020, 04:51:41 PM
So you are telling me that this signal would not give a yellow trap if a fire truck came? I don't think so.....

NJ doesn't generally have emergency vehicle preemption and the intersection you linked has no preemption equipment installed.

Amtrakprod

Quote from: cl94 on June 14, 2020, 04:54:28 PM

NJ doesn't generally have emergency vehicle preemption and the intersection you linked has no preemption equipment installed.

They don't? They should IMO. My bad, I'm just always in support of an FYA.

I've found the worst FYA signage today:
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.1275186,-118.1471979,3a,29.5y,91.45h,102.25t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sEw5oONUdtTH9rK0USfQx1Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

SignBridge

Thanks to cl94 and roadfro for updating us on the FYA's history and origins in Nevada and Michigan. I had not known any of that and I had been led to believe it was only the Dallas Phasing issue that caused the FYA's creation. So I appreciate the info.

fwydriver405

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 14, 2020, 02:24:19 PM

iPhone

FYA can be used to remove yellow trap on intersections that skip phases.

In my state, Maine, most of our "yield on green" signals usually run on lead-lead phasing. However, a lot of the signals, even newer ones, in my area can skip phases if there is no traffic on the side streets.

If the left turn lane on the main road receives a call, the thru green's max time has expired, and there is no traffic on the side street, it will give a protected left-turn arrow for that direction. This means that while one direction's thru indication is changing from yellow to red, the direction that is getting the green protected left turn arrow will remain green for the thru indication, hence, yellow trap. This is the primary cause of yellow trap in the entire state of Maine.

The only way to prevent yellow trap w/o FYA for PPLT situations like this is to implement anti-backup phasing, which will prevent the controller from terminating the green at the wrong time due to skipped phases. Does NJ phase skip on their PPLT signals, or is there anti-backup protection in place at most signals?

fwydriver405

I've noticed some strange FYA phasing on some of NHDOT's signals. Coming out of an all-red or side street phase, the FYA left turn signals remain a red arrow for a few seconds while thru traffic gets a green, then the FYA comes on. There is no LPI at those intersections as there are no pedestrian signals at the intersections I witnessed. How common is this phasing with FYA's?

These are the intersections I saw this phasing:

NH Route 28 at Page Rd
US Route 4 at NH Route 107

On right turn lanes where the turn has its own slip lane, is it necessary to give a green arrow for the overlap, or could it remain flashing yellow even during the perpendicular protected left turn? In South Portland ME, the flashing yellow arrow remains on almost all the time, even during Westbrook's St protected left. The only time the red arrow would come on is if a pedestrian requested to cross said right turn lane.

I wonder if that FYA right turn signal has a red right turn arrow... does NJ allow right on red arrow? Don't see any signs prohibiting the movement (at the moment).

Amtrakprod

Quote from: fwydriver405 on June 14, 2020, 09:59:56 PM
I've noticed some strange FYA phasing on some of NHDOT's signals. Coming out of an all-red or side street phase, the FYA left turn signals remain a red arrow for a few seconds while thru traffic gets a green, then the FYA comes on. There is no LPI at those intersections as there are no pedestrian signals at the intersections I witnessed. How common is this phasing with FYA's?

NH Route 28 at Page Rd

This is actually common practice in many non-new England areas. The idea is to give through traffic a chance to get through so cars on the protected left don't just keep going through after the lead expires. This is a common practice at this location on my commute: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4795086,-71.1213034,3a,60y,11.8h,89.42t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sOe9FRFNYIS9HeCbDAH5KAg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

The only place in the state I can think of the red arrow before the FYA is here:
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3912874,-71.1231414,3a,32.7y,327.12h,93.24t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sCb_SpBt4IvCNQInlCFTu7A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

RestrictOnTheHanger

NY does not delay red arrow to flashing yellow arrow,  unless it is for an explicit LPI

mrsman

NH Route 28 at Page Rd

In strictest terms the FYA setup is a replacement for a more traditional PPLT setup like 4 or 5 section signals without a red arrow.  Just as a leading left signal goes from green arrow to yellow arrow to no arrow (indicating permitted but not protected lefts), a FYA signal can go directly from GA to YA to FYA.  To the extent that they may put in a brief solid red arrow phase to separate the protected turn from the permissive turn, it is a safety measure, as Amtrakprod has said, to ensure that left turners actually stop and yield to thru traffic briefly.  It is especially beneficial where there are pedestrians as it does function as a partial LPI, at least with respect to left turns.  Not required, but I definitely see its value.  And to the extent the red arrow phase is brief, not really a big deal. 

On right turn lanes where the turn has its own slip lane, is it necessary to give a green arrow for the overlap, or could it remain flashing yellow even during the perpendicular protected left turn? In South Portland ME, the flashing yellow arrow remains on almost all the time, even during Westbrook's St protected left. The only time the red arrow would come on is if a pedestrian requested to cross said right turn lane.

I wonder if that FYA right turn signal has a red right turn arrow... does NJ allow right on red arrow? Don't see any signs prohibiting the movement (at the moment).
[/quote]

This video shows some red light running, especially on the right turn.  Disappointing, especially considering how short the red arrow phase is.

There is no necessity to have a green arrow during the corresponding left turn, but IMO it is a good idea, unless there is concern about conflict due to u-turns and possibly pedestrians who may jay-walk at the crossing.  If there is nothing to yield to, shouldn't the right turning traffic get a green arrow so that they can just simply go?  I believe a green arrow phase would be great to keep things moving.  I can think of several intersections with a separated right turn that is near a signalized intersection but controlled by a yield sign.  In most of those cases, if a green arrow were present during the safe phase of the intersection, right turn backup would be significantly reduced.  In that scenario, a red arrow should be placed to stop the turning in order to protect pedestrians, the green arrow should be placed during the totally protected right turn phase where there are no conflicts, and flashing yellow arrow at other times to denote the general yield condition.

As far as the NJ signal is concerned, it appears to be 4 aspects, so I assume it is RA-YA-FYA-GA, but perhaps someone in the area could comment on its actual operation.

STLmapboy

Quote from: US71 on May 23, 2020, 05:23:32 PM
Missouri is kind of hit n miss.They like the doghouse signals. with yellow & green arrow.

MO's been reliably putting FYAs on new installs since 2012 or so. Existing retrofits are less common but still exist.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Amtrakprod on June 14, 2020, 05:05:38 PM
Quote from: cl94 on June 14, 2020, 04:54:28 PM
They don't? They should IMO. My bad, I'm just always in support of an FYA.

NJDOT's policy is that they won't pay for the signal pre-emption for emergency vehicles. If a certain town/county wants it, they can pay for it and NJDOT will add it to the signals.  There's a few signals that have it installed, but not many.

When designing roadways, it's always important to look at various options.  Having a FYA at every signal isn't necessary.  Heck, having a left turn arrow at every intersection isn't necessary. 

Yes.  NJ State Law only defines a red light, yellow light, green light, and green arrow. Red arrows are never defined.  Thus, in most cases where an arrow is used, it will say "No Turn On Red".  However, a red arrow doesn't prohibit turns on red, so absent the NTOR sign, it's legal. 

Most websites get this wrong.  I don't understand why, because there's nothing I can find that actually states it's illegal to turn on red. 

jakeroot

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 15, 2020, 03:54:41 PM
When designing roadways, it's always important to look at various options.  Having a FYA at every signal isn't necessary.  Heck, having a left turn arrow at every intersection isn't necessary.

I would say that left turn arrows are arguably not necessary at most intersections. Traffic turning left can turn behind through traffic, and at least two cars should be able to turn at the end of a fully-saturated cycle. Left turn signals can be added in this case, at least when there is a side-street with enough traffic to not allow the signal to remain green to clear all traffic. The idea of adding left turn signals when there are too many oncoming lanes, or a speed limit that's too high, or just as part of policy, seems (as much as I hate the term) like policy overreach. All signals should start with the least restrictive phasing possible, and only progress beyond that as absolutely necessary.

One thing that makes me less quick to jump on FYAs is that, unlike left turns where there is no left turn arrow at all, traffic seems slightly less apt to pull forward. Even in areas that I deem relatively conservative, drivers will always pull forward to turn on solid green lights where there is no protected phase (how else can you guarantee you'll make it?), but the split more like 75 (forward)/25 (behind the line) at FYAs. There have been more than a few situations where I missed a left turn because the driver in front refused to enter the junction, where I know they would have, had the light not had a green arrow phase. Some drivers fully embrace the concept of "I'll just wait for the green arrow if there's no gap" style of driving that seems to pop-up when I see an FYA installed.

edit: word choice

mrsman

Quote from: jakeroot on June 16, 2020, 06:20:35 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 15, 2020, 03:54:41 PM

I would say that left turn arrows are arguably not necessary at most intersections. Traffic turning left can turn behind through traffic, and at least two cars should be able to turn at the end of a fully-saturated cycle. Left turn signals can be added in this case, at least when there is a side-street with enough traffic to not allow the signal to remain green to clear all traffic. The idea of adding left turn signals when there are too many oncoming lanes, or a speed limit that's too high, or just as part of policy, seems (as much as I hate the term) like policy overreach. All signals should start with the least permissive phasing possible, and only progress beyond that as absolutely necessary.

One thing that makes me less quick to jump on FYAs is that, unlike left turns where there is no left turn arrow at all, traffic seems slightly less apt to pull forward. Even in areas that I deem relatively conservative, drivers will always pull forward to turn on solid green lights where there is no protected phase (how else can you guarantee you'll make it?), but the split more like 75 (forward)/25 (behind the line) at FYAs. There have been more than a few situations where I missed a left turn because the driver in front refused to enter the junction, where I know they would have, had the light not had a green arrow phase. Some drivers fully embrace the concept of "I'll just wait for the green arrow if there's no gap" style of driving that seems to pop-up when I see an FYA installed.

That problem also exists at doghouse signals as well.

Its this phenomena that makes me prefer lagging lefts over leading lefts, provided that the yellow trap problem is addressed.  Its the "natural" phase for turning left, particularly in saturated intersections.  Another plus is that with the right sensors, the left turn phase can be totally skipped altogether if the left turn lane clears during the green orb phase.

The downside of course is yellow trap and that generally the lagging lefts have to be simultaneous.  This is why lagging lefts are more common where the opposing left is prohibited.

RestrictOnTheHanger

Interesting right turb FYA in NYC. The FY arrow is on the bottom and has both a LPI and lagging protected right. Sequence (I believe) is

Green ball/red arrow (LPI)
Green ball/FYA
Red ball/green arrow (lagging protected right)

This is a wide intersection with a lot of pedestrian traffic, so the FYA helps here. Strangely enough the left turns on the cross street were not converted to FYA

https://maps.app.goo.gl/qZmda1UTjMExgAmF6

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.