News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Has the flashing yellow left turn signal made it to your state?

Started by NJRoadfan, June 17, 2010, 10:58:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

signalman

Delaware drivers do indeed treat the flashing red arrow as a yield sign.  Technically, the driver is supposed to come to a full stop before proceeding. However, in real world situations, unless there is oncoming traffic, pedestrians, or a cop around drivers tend to slow down and turn.

It should also be noted that left turn bays in Delaware are often angled at the intersection so that the stop bar is 45 degrees in relation to oncoming traffic.  This allows drivers at the stop bar to better view oncoming traffic, even if a large vehicle is attempting to turn left from the opposite direction. I've personally always liked this setup and have often assumed it's why there's often flashing red arrows, as opposed to fully protected.  The flashing red arrow also allows flexibility.  Certain times of the day the signal can be fully protected.  Then during off peak hours switched to flashing red arrow (protected/permissive). 

I will refrain from commenting on the flashing yellow arrow since I have not yet driven through an intersection (or even watched one live) to see how they work in real traffic situations.  I've only seen videos, and I like the idea.  However, I never realized that a permissive left turn (after yielding to oncoming traffic) on a green ball was so confusing to drivers. It's not like this is uncommon at minor intersections.  With that said, the flashing yellow arrow seems a bit redundant.  I'm gonna agree with tradephoric here and say the flashing red is more clear.  Regardless of what is used, driver interpretation will vary.  Perhaps what is needed is a refresher course for drivers as to what signal indications mean for one's intended movement.

PColumbus73

I've passed through intersections with the FYA in North Carolina, and it doesn't seem like there has been difficulty understanding it. Maybe if the NCDOT releases a study done on accidents before and after installing the FYA we'll know if that signal is beneficial or not.

Does Delaware use the flashing red arrow solely on rural, divided highways or can they be seen on streets where the doghouse has normally been?

jeffandnicole

Outside of where I went to college, there was a dual-left turn lane with a flashing red arrow.  This was your standard lane configuration, not the 45' angle type that signalman pointed out. Definitely not rural, but rather a suburban area.  (The flashing left arrow has since been removed, and is now a regular protected left turn.)

In many cases, the flashing arrow is in suburban locations like I mentioned above, and can be seen where single and dual left turn lanes exist.  When they are converted, they generally are converted to protected left turns, but I guess a doghouse would work as well, depending on engineering determinations.

signalman

One is most likely to encounter the flasjing red arrows on an arterial in Delaware.  Generally the speed limit is 45 or more, hence why DelDOT opted for the flashing red for permissive turns.  It placed emphasis on the need to stop, then proceed when clear, as oncoming traffic is likely to be moving quite fast. 

If you were asking where they are likely to be used because you want to see one live and in action.  Just take a trip down US 13.  They are used along the US 13 corridor in all 3 counties.

roadfro

Quote from: PColumbus73 on November 04, 2013, 03:19:20 PM
Agreed, in general practice, a flashing yellow (a beacon or out-of-service traffic light) indicates that you have the right of way. A flashing red indicates you have to stop and proceed if safe to do so. I think this is the confusion that many drivers are having with the FYA.

Flashing yellow does not assign automatic right of way, but is a proceed with caution message. The confusion/disdain that some seem to have with FYA comes from this.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Alex4897

Quote from: signalman on November 05, 2013, 03:22:01 PM
One is most likely to encounter the flasjing red arrows on an arterial in Delaware.  Generally the speed limit is 45 or more, hence why DelDOT opted for the flashing red for permissive turns.  It placed emphasis on the need to stop, then proceed when clear, as oncoming traffic is likely to be moving quite fast. 

If you were asking where they are likely to be used because you want to see one live and in action.  Just take a trip down US 13.  They are used along the US 13 corridor in all 3 counties.

DE 4 has one just west of DE 72 and DE 2 has one just east of DE 7.  I feel like there's more scattered around northern New Castle County.
👉😎👉

DeaconG

US 1 in Titusville has two of them now, at Knox-McRae and Country Club; said installation also eliminated the right lane thru green arrows.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

signalman

Quote from: Alex4897 on November 07, 2013, 07:16:24 AM
Quote from: signalman on November 05, 2013, 03:22:01 PM

DE 4 has one just west of DE 72 and DE 2 has one just east of DE 7.  I feel like there's more scattered around northern New Castle County.
Yes, New Castle County has the most FRA installations.  Particularly northern NC, as was noted.

tradephoric

A major 2007 study (NCHRP web only document 123) analyzed the safety benefits of the FYA at over 50 installations.  The following conclusions were made in the study:

Quote-  Safety was improved at intersections that operated with PPLT phasing prior to field implementation of the FYA permissive indication with PPLT phasing.   
-  Safety was not improved at intersections that operated with protected only left-turn phasing prior to field implementation of  the FYA permissive indication with PPLT phasing.   
-  No conclusions could be made at intersections that operated with permissive only left-turn phasing prior to implementation of the FYA indication, due to a minimal number of implementation sites and data.  The installation of the FYA indication at sites which currently operate PPLT signal phasing showed improvements in safety.  In other locations, the change in left-turn signal phasing had a more significant impact on safety than the change in left-turn indication, although safety appeared to improve with time.

Research has suggested that the FYA permissive indication is safer and better understood by drivers than other permissive indications in use today; including the "doghouse"  circular green, the flashing circular red, the flashing circular yellow, and the flashing red arrow.  However, research has also shown that the change in left-turn signal phasing has more of an impact on safety than the change in left-turn permissive indication.  Since the FYA provides a lot more flexibility than other permissive indications, it's quite common for the left-turn signal phasing to change when the FYA is introduced. 

To show how un-flexible other permissive indications can be, consider Michigan's flashing red ball.  The flashing red ball has been used at permissive-protected left-turns (PPLTs) in Michigan since around 1975.  In nearly all cases, the protected left-turn green arrow will lag the permissive flashing red ball.  In addition, the protected left-turn green arrow will always cycle regardless of detection.  This is done to prevent a flashing red ball from going straight into a solid red ball with no clearance, causing a potentially dangerous situation.  Essentially, the PPLTs used in Michigan aren't very efficient but they are safe as drivers are guaranteed a protected left-turn green arrow to clear out of the intersection at the end of the permissive phase.

Since the introduction of the FYA in SE Michigan, there has been a noticeable increase in injury accidents at intersections that have been converted to the FYA.  When comparing the before/after crash data provided by SEMCOG, there has been up to a 30% increase in injury accidents at new FYAs.  In addition, there has been up to a 75% increase in head-on left-turn accidents which is a type of accident that can be directly attributed to the left-turn signal phase operation.  The rise in injury accidents and head-on left-turn accidents is likely due to the fact that the left-turn signal phasing has changed.  In Oakland County, the FYA left-turn signal phasing has leading PPLTs that are allowed to skip (with this setup drivers get stuck in the middle of the intersection at the end of the permissive phase, forcing them to "sneak" through during the yellow change interval just as the opposing through traffic is trying to clear the intersection as well).  In Macomb County, the FYA left-turn signal phasing has lagging PPLTs that are allowed to skip (while this doesn't create a yellow trap, this does create a potentially dangerous situation known as the perceived yellow trap).   The new FYA left-turn phasing is likely leading to the increase in crash rate, not necessarily the type of indication being used.

Is the FYA permissive indication inherently dangerous?  I don't think so.  However, the FYA provides a lot more flexibility in regards to the left-turn signal phasing.  This flexibility may indirectly be leading to increased accidents at FYA installations.  There is a benefit of having more flexible left-turn signal phasing, mainly reduced driver delay.  It just needs to be understood that a reduction in driver delay often leads to an increase in accidents.  The argument can be made that the FYA is reducing driver delay in SE Michigan, but based on the crash data it's very hard to argue that the FYA is making intersections any safer.

tradephoric

Came across a report that speaks to the point that Michigan drivers basically ignore the legal meaning of the flashing red ball  (i.e drivers don't come to a complete stop).
QuoteEvaluation of Traffic Signal Displays for Protected-Permitted Left Turn Control NCHRP Project 3-54
The exception to these results was the three-section vertical display with a flashing red ball permitted indication which is used in Oakland County, Michigan.  Although drivers are legally required to stop before making a permitted left-turn, Oakland County drivers seemed to interpret the meaning of the flashing red ball permitted indication  to be  the  same  as  the yellow or green permitted  indications.  Several law enforcement officers were observed during the data collection process, none of which found it necessary to enforce (i.e ticket) this legal requirements.  In fact, many of these same law enforcement officers were observed violating the stop requirement themselves.  Clearly, drivers in Oakland County have an implied meaning of the flashing red ball permitted indication that is different than intended, which adds difficulty for non-local drivers.

froggie

Just did a quick scan and a search so I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but Vermont now has the Flashing Yellow Arrow as well.  We passed by one example on VT 117 during the Burlington road meet a couple weekends ago.  There's also an installation on VT 116 in Hinesburg.

roadman65

I believe that it is the new norm for all new installations for protected left turns.  What gets me is we have some intersections with the signal heads for the yellow flasher, but it is never used.  Two intersections along Orange Blossom Trail have a provision for a left turn flasher, yet the red arrow is on whenever the green arrow is not  at both of these (with the exception of when the light is red of course).
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Mdcastle

Quote from: roadman65 on November 21, 2013, 09:22:34 AM
I believe that it is the new norm for all new installations for protected left turns.  What gets me is we have some intersections with the signal heads for the yellow flasher, but it is never used.  Two intersections along Orange Blossom Trail have a provision for a left turn flasher, yet the red arrow is on whenever the green arrow is not  at both of these (with the exception of when the light is red of course).
Minnesota is like this too. 4 head sections are used for all dedicated turn lanes, including the FYA sign, even if the FYA is never used, like on MN 13 through Savage. Better to put up an extra cheap plastic traffic light section now than decide you want to change the phasing later and have to bring out a full truck and work crew and replace the head and wiring.

signalman

Quote from: Mdcastle on November 21, 2013, 11:25:47 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on November 21, 2013, 09:22:34 AM
Minnesota is like this too. 4 head sections are used for all dedicated turn lanes, including the FYA sign, even if the FYA is never used, like on MN 13 through Savage. Better to put up an extra cheap plastic traffic light section now than decide you want to change the phasing later and have to bring out a full truck and work crew and replace the head and wiring.
Have either of you been through the intersections mentioned during an off peak time? (Late at night)  It is possible the FYA might only operate when traffic is light.  It might default to protected only at other times.

Mdcastle

I drive through Savage several times a week to get to my parents house. I haven't been there at say 3:00 AM, but it operates in protected only mode as late as around midnight.

Revive 755

It appears IDOT District 6 (Springfield) may be moving ahead with switching to flashing yellow arrows, possibly starting with a section of Wabash in Springfield:
http://www.springfieldcityclerk.com/Ordinances/2013/2013-415/2013-415.pdf - See near the bottom of Page 3/6.

Brandon

Quote from: Revive 755 on December 09, 2013, 10:11:40 PM
It appears IDOT District 6 (Springfield) may be moving ahead with switching to flashing yellow arrows, possibly starting with a section of Wabash in Springfield:
http://www.springfieldcityclerk.com/Ordinances/2013/2013-415/2013-415.pdf - See near the bottom of Page 3/6.

That will make two districts, District 4 (Peoria) and District 6 (Springfield) with them.  We'll see if District 1 (Schaumburg), District 2 (Dixon), or District 3 (Ottawa) adopt them.  I think CDOT will be a major holdout though.  They still use some very non-MUTCD compliant signals.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

roadman65

I would like to see how NJ is going to do it.  Basically with the doghouse or tower they use them on both sides of the roadway, as per NJ likes signal heads to be on both sides of the roadway except for Left Turn Signals for obvious reasons.

I guess, it will have to worked as a full left turn signal set up, that means we will see two signal heads with the flashing left turn arrow.  NJ, like IL, likes to have a backup LTS on the far left corner, so I imagine that you will see a flashing left arrow on the far corner as well as overhead.  I am also guessing that IDOT will do the same with theirs when all gets implemented?

Sheryl Crowe

Brandon

Quote from: roadman65 on December 10, 2013, 10:29:41 AM
I would like to see how NJ is going to do it.  Basically with the doghouse or tower they use them on both sides of the roadway, as per NJ likes signal heads to be on both sides of the roadway except for Left Turn Signals for obvious reasons.

I guess, it will have to worked as a full left turn signal set up, that means we will see two signal heads with the flashing left turn arrow.  NJ, like IL, likes to have a backup LTS on the far left corner, so I imagine that you will see a flashing left arrow on the far corner as well as overhead.  I am also guessing that IDOT will do the same with theirs when all gets implemented?

Yes.  IDOT District 4 has been mounting them on the left side as well as overhead.  IDOT's policies mandate a minimum of three signals per direction and two signals per turning movement.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Revive 755

Quote from: Brandon on December 10, 2013, 10:03:39 AM
That will make two districts, District 4 (Peoria) and District 6 (Springfield) with them.  We'll see if District 1 (Schaumburg), District 2 (Dixon), or District 3 (Ottawa) adopt them.  I think CDOT will be a major holdout though.  They still use some very non-MUTCD compliant signals.

District 1 won't adopt them unless Springfield or FHWA freeze all of District 1's funding to force them to.  The flashing yellow arrow will more likely spread through District 1 as other local agencies see how Kane County handles them (counting that the installations on Randall Road don't go horribly wrong).  My money's on McHenry County adopting them next.

I wouldn't be surprised if CDOT adopted the flashing yellow arrow for right turn signals as part of some pedestrian safety measure.

Indyroads

I find it interesting that INDOT will be mounting the 4 phase FYA signals in the horizontal position rather than vertical. This may cause confusion as these are implemented since we are not used to horizontally mounted signals in the state. I dont understand why they cannot be mounted vertically on a span wire mount.
And a highway will be there;
    it will be called the Way of Holiness;
    it will be for those who walk on that Way.
The unclean will not journey on it;
    wicked fools will not go about on it.
Isaiah 35:8-10 (NIV)

roadman65

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22306412@N07/11414138855/in/photostream/

I see in this one, that California has adopted them and even explains to the motorists what it means in action.

Sheryl Crowe

realjd

I'm surprised to see California using them. Outside of LA, I don't know if I've ever seen a protected/permissive turn setup in CA.

Locally, FDOT is putting up more of them, this time on the portion of Babcock St (SR-507) just north and south of the US192 intersection that's being reworked. They're also the first signals around here to have yellow borders around the black backplates.

David Jr.

Toward the end of 2013, my hometown of Mount Vernon, MO installed a flashing yellow arrow at the I-44/MO-39/BL I-44 interchange.

froggie

QuoteI'm surprised to see California using them. Outside of LA, I don't know if I've ever seen a protected/permissive turn setup in CA.

Several exist(ed?) in San Diego, using a 5-lens doghouse on the mast arm (and 5-lens vertical on the left side), but I haven't been to SD since 2008.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.