News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Has the flashing yellow left turn signal made it to your state?

Started by NJRoadfan, June 17, 2010, 10:58:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JKRhodes

I take issue with opinions and policies that cite the 2007 study as the "be-all, end-all" with regard to the safety and efficiency of the FYA for left turns.

The FYA has been in Tucson for years to allow right turns while cross traffic has a green arrow to turn left. It's commonly understood to indicate that it is clear to turn right, other than the occasional vehicle making a U-turn on said green arrow, in which case the vehicle making the U-turn has right of way. The energy and injury potential are relatively low, as a vehicle turning right and a vehicle making a U-turn are both traveling at relatively low speed. In this particular application, the flashing yellow arrow has a distinctive meaning. It doesn't mean the same thing as a green ball, a green arrow, or a red light.

OTOH, I've seen the FYA pop up in a few places for left turns, and it means exactly the same thing as a doghouse assembly, except that when the FYA is followed by a SYA, it can give a driver the mistaken impression that a protected left turn is coming to an end, encouraging said driver to make the turn without regard for oncoming traffic and cause an accident. The potential for injury is much greater in this application.

PColumbus73

I'd like to see the four-section FYA for right turns. There are some 3-section FYAs at Dupont Circle in Washington DC

DaBigE

Quote from: PColumbus73 on February 10, 2014, 09:56:51 PM
I'd like to see the four-section FYA for right turns. There are some 3-section FYAs at Dupont Circle in Washington DC

Madison, WI has at least two 4-section FYAs for right turns...two at intersections along E Washington Ave (US 151), near East Towne Mall. Unfortunately, GSV doesn't have recent-enough imagery to show them.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Katavia

It's made it to NC. One instance is at Poplar Tent Rd @ Harris Rd. It is a annoyance at the least from Harris Rd heading away from NC-73 at 7:00 in the morning.
(Former) pizza delivery driver with a penchant for highways.
On nearly every other online platform I go by Kurzov - Katavia is a holdover from the past.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: ncfriend on February 12, 2014, 04:44:13 PM
It's made it to NC. One instance is at Poplar Tent Rd @ Harris Rd. It is a annoyance at the least from Harris Rd heading away from NC-73 at 7:00 in the morning.

It's been in NC for at least 3 years in the Charlotte area.  This one is the first one I ever encountered.

6a

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on February 13, 2014, 10:32:59 PM
Quote from: ncfriend on February 12, 2014, 04:44:13 PM

It's been in NC for at least 3 years in the Charlotte area.  This one is the first one I ever encountered.
There was one at Johnston and 485 installed just before I moved away, that would have been 2004 or so.

JoePCool14

If not yet mentioned:

It hasn't, isn't and never will make it to Illinois.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

route56

Quote from: JoePCool14 on February 18, 2014, 07:12:33 PM
If not yet mentioned:

False:  I know for a fact that there are or were Flashing Yellow Arrow signals in Peoria.
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

Brandon

Quote from: route56 on February 20, 2014, 12:15:46 AM
If not yet mentioned:

False:  I know for a fact that there are or were Flashing Yellow Arrow signals in Peoria.

Yep.  District 4 (Putnam, Marshall, Woodford, Tazewell, Peoria, Stark, Fulton, Knox, Warren , Henderson, Mercer, & McDonough Counties) is in love with them.  None of the other (1-3 and 5-9) IDOT districts use them yet as far as I know.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

US 41

I saw one one on business rte. 41 in Vincennes. The cloverleaf in Vincennes doesn't need to be upgraded. The speed limit does need to be raised to 65. The speed limit needs to be raised to 65 in Sullivan and Shelburn especially (currently it is 50 in those towns). Frontage roads have been built in Sullivan County and businesses have not been allowed to just build on the highway. Farmersburg is the exception and the 50 mph speed limit through there is appropriate for that town.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

jakeroot

I saw this in Olympia/Lacey, Washington yesterday (the capital):

Yes, I know, "but that clearly isn't flashing, yellow or otherwise". It is now. Recent installation but I live to far away to go back and snap a photo.

Lacey has the 3-arrow setup on their website (here); this is the only installation in Washington State (that I know of) where there is 3-arrows instead of 4. Plenty of cities have a 4-arrow setup, but 3 is apparently extremely rare (though not in Oregon of course).

JoePCool14

Quote from: Brandon on February 20, 2014, 10:56:13 AM
Quote from: route56 on February 20, 2014, 12:15:46 AM
If not yet mentioned:

Yep.  District 4 (Putnam, Marshall, Woodford, Tazewell, Peoria, Stark, Fulton, Knox, Warren , Henderson, Mercer, & McDonough Counties) is in love with them.  None of the other (1-3 and 5-9) IDOT districts use them yet as far as I know.

Yeah, maybe, I haven't ever been down there. So, I believe that. I think we need them up here.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

agentsteel53

not sure if I've mentioned this but about a year ago there popped up some on Magnolia Ave. in El Cajon.

this is very rare for California - usually we are strictly "protected or forbidden" with no permissive phase.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Revive 755

Quote from: Brandon on February 20, 2014, 10:56:13 AM

District 6 (Springfield) had some on the January letting for Wabash Avenue in Springfield (an unmarked state route).  Link to plans

Kane County was going to install some on Randall Road.  There was is a preliminary plan set posted online for those here

DandyDan

In Nebraska, southbound Nebraska Highway 31 has one for the eastbound I-80 entrance ramp, after the opening of the current version of the Nebraska Crossing mall, immediately NE of the interchange.

EDIT: drove out there this past weekend, saw the relevant light, though there is not one for northbound 31 to westbound I-80.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

swbrotha100

So on a small stretch of Grant Rd in Tucson, the city recently turned the intersection at Oracle Rd into a "Michigan Left"...the areas to make left turns past the intersection use that FYA for the left turns. Maybe someday Tucson would use this type of signal more at all their intersections with permissive/protected dual left turn lanes.

Speedway Blvd in the area of the U of Arizona has FYA lefts at 3 intersections.

tradephoric

Wasn't a Michigan Left constructed at the intersection of Ina & Oracle?  Or is there more than one Michigan Left in Tuscon?

swbrotha100

Quote from: tradephoric on March 01, 2014, 05:31:59 PM
Wasn't a Michigan Left constructed at the intersection of Ina & Oracle?  Or is there more than one Michigan Left in Tuscon?

Yes. Ina and Oracle does have a Michigan Left. That intersection is not in the Tucson city limits. It's Pima County (Casas Adobes area, less than a mile south of the town of Oro Valley). All the left turns that can be done around there are protected left signals.

Eventually, as Tucson widens Grant Rd, there are Michigan Lefts planned at 1st Ave, Campbell Ave, Country Club Rd, Alvernon Way, and Swan Rd. These are the major mile intersections between Oracle and Swan. I don't know of any other Michigan Lefts planned in the Tucson area.

swbrotha100

Just last week I saw FYA signals at Alma School and Ray Roads in Chandler.

Revive 755

There are two new ones on WI 50 in Kenosha; one at 60th Avenue and the other at Cooper Road/52nd Avenue.

swbrotha100

I've been in the Phoenix area over the last week, and the FYA signals are popping up all over the place. Mostly scattered around in the east valley cities, and near some freeway interchanges.

froggie

QuoteLacey has the 3-arrow setup on their website (here); this is the only installation in Washington State (that I know of) where there is 3-arrows instead of 4. Plenty of cities have a 4-arrow setup, but 3 is apparently extremely rare (though not in Oregon of course).

A 3-lens FYA is fairly common in North Carolina at those locations where there is no protected phase.

Quotethis is very rare for California - usually we are strictly "protected or forbidden" with no permissive phase.

I recall seeing some protected-permitted in San Diego during my 2007-08 port visits.  Here's an example from along Midway Dr.

lordsutch

Saw quite a few FYAs in North Carolina this weekend in the Wilmington/Carolina Beach area.

GDOT has installed two FYAs in Forsyth County north of Atlanta in the past month and "FYA will now be Georgia DOT's preferred left turn traffic signal for eligible locations — those with high numbers of left-turn movements and resultant traffic back-ups and related accidents." http://www.dot.ga.gov/informationcenter/pressroom/PressReleases/SR9-3-6-14.pdf

jakeroot

Quote from: froggie on March 11, 2014, 09:01:05 AM
QuoteLacey has the 3-arrow setup on their website (here); this is the only installation in Washington State (that I know of) where there is 3-arrows instead of 4. Plenty of cities have a 4-arrow setup, but 3 is apparently extremely rare (though not in Oregon of course).

A 3-lens FYA is fairly common in North Carolina at those locations where there is no protected phase.

When I said "extremely rare" I was referring to Washington State alone. I am aware of other states using them (though not many; was not aware NC was in that group).

Tarkus

Just saw a right-turn FYA for the first time in Oregon on Monday--it is (*surprise, surprise*) in Washington County, at the intersection of NW Cornell Road and NW Evergreen Pkwy/179th Ave.  The right-turn FYA is a three-lens (as are most of the installations in The WC now) on the westbound Cornell approach, and replaced a McCain Fresnel that had been there since the signal was installed in 1995.  It's also opposite a standard left-turn FYA, and the two signals' flashing is out of sync.  The county had been installing a bunch of straight five-lens right-turn signals in the past year--this one might be an experiment, though as crazy as they are about the FYA (we have several hundred of them, and they're at probably 85% of all signalized intersections here now), I suspect there will be more.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.