News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Massachusetts

Started by hotdogPi, October 12, 2013, 04:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob7374

Quote from: SidS1045 on May 13, 2019, 03:50:43 PM
As of this morning, the former HOV lane on I-93 southbound through Somerville and Charlestown is no more.  It's now an express lane, bypassing the Sullivan Square and Storrow Drive exits and open to all traffic.  The reflectorized barriers (which took a severe beating every winter) between the HOV and regular lanes were taken down last week on the portion of 93 before the "lower deck."  They're still up from the police pull-out to the beginning of the concrete median ahead of the Zakim Bridge.
This is only for the duration of the Tobin Bridge/Chelsea Curves reconstruction project, from the MassDOT blog post linked above:
"In order to accommodate travelers during this necessary construction work, MassDOT is opening the I-93 southbound carpool lane between Medford and the Zakim Bridge to all vehicles regardless of the number of occupants. This lane will continue to function as an "express lane"  and vehicles in this lane on I-93 southbound will not have access to Exit 28 (Mystic Avenue) or Exit 26 (Storrow Drive)."

SectorZ

Quote from: bob7374 on May 13, 2019, 05:47:26 PM
As of this morning, the former HOV lane on I-93 southbound through Somerville and Charlestown is no more.  It's now an express lane, bypassing the Sullivan Square and Storrow Drive exits and open to all traffic.  The reflectorized barriers (which took a severe beating every winter) between the HOV and regular lanes were taken down last week on the portion of 93 before the "lower deck."  They're still up from the police pull-out to the beginning of the concrete median ahead of the Zakim Bridge.
This is only for the duration of the Tobin Bridge/Chelsea Curves reconstruction project, from the MassDOT blog post linked above:
"In order to accommodate travelers during this necessary construction work, MassDOT is opening the I-93 southbound carpool lane between Medford and the Zakim Bridge to all vehicles regardless of the number of occupants. This lane will continue to function as an "express lane"  and vehicles in this lane on I-93 southbound will not have access to Exit 28 (Mystic Avenue) or Exit 26 (Storrow Drive)."

I wish they would leave it to what they changed it to permanently. Maybe they will if they get feedback that it should stay.

An express lane bypassing the traffic due to the 2 exits is much more valuable than an HOV lane. Many people can't use the HOV lane anyways since a lot of traffic exits at those 2 exits. However, a single occupant vehicle has to sit in that traffic instead of bypassing it. Maybe they'll figure out that this is a net benefit, or better yet nuke the whole lane and possibly squeeze another lane into the already existing deck.

SidS1045

Quote from: SectorZ on May 14, 2019, 02:35:27 PM
Quote from: bob7374 on May 13, 2019, 05:47:26 PM
"In order to accommodate travelers during this necessary construction work, MassDOT is opening the I-93 southbound carpool lane between Medford and the Zakim Bridge to all vehicles regardless of the number of occupants. This lane will continue to function as an “express lane” and vehicles in this lane on I-93 southbound will not have access to Exit 28 (Mystic Avenue) or Exit 26 (Storrow Drive)."

I wish they would leave it to what they changed it to permanently. Maybe they will if they get feedback that it should stay.

An express lane bypassing the traffic due to the 2 exits is much more valuable than an HOV lane. Many people can't use the HOV lane anyways since a lot of traffic exits at those 2 exits. However, a single occupant vehicle has to sit in that traffic instead of bypassing it. Maybe they'll figure out that this is a net benefit, or better yet nuke the whole lane and possibly squeeze another lane into the already existing deck.

Having navigated the new express lane for three days now:  Traffic is flowing LOTS better, even in the non-express lanes, judging by the average speed of traffic and confirmed using the GoTime signs.  With the HOV restrictions in place, travel time from the beginning of the HOV lane to the Zakim Bridge (three miles) was typically 9 minutes at the time I'm there every work day, between 6:30 and 6:45AM.  Now, with the express lane, it's typically 6 minutes.  The traffic volume does not appear to have changed, but the addition of the express lane has considerably improved the traffic flow.

The suggestion to make this arrangement permanent has merit, IMO.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

bob7374

MassDOT has released its Draft 2020-2024 STIP document. Newly funded sign replacement projects scheduled for 2024 start include:
MA 128 Peabody to Gloucester  $1.9M
MA 146 Uxbridge to Worcester  $1.1M
I-195/I-495 Dartmouth to Raynham  $8.1M
There is no listing for any milepost based exit number conversion project.

The Draft STIP document is available at: https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/2019/05/21/FFY20_24STIP.pdf

DJ Particle

Quote from: bob7374 on May 21, 2019, 06:13:36 PM

I hate Cape Cod NIMBYs....   :angry:

Rothman

Quote from: DJ Particle on May 22, 2019, 06:03:56 AM

No kidding.  I handed out the FMIS authorization in my office when MassDOT requested the funding for the switchover (with HSIP funding, no less, which was very interesting since FHWA's NY Division was being overly strict about that program's use at the time).  Having MassDOT do a 180 due to public opposition made me scream.

(personal opinion emphasized)
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

PHLBOS

MassDOT has released its Draft 2020-2024 STIP document. Newly funded sign replacement projects scheduled for 2024 start include:
Many signs along that stretch of 128 are fairly recent; particularly from Beverly/Wenham up to Grant Circle (MA 127/Exit 11) in Gloucester.  The only areas that still have pockets of 90s or older vintage signs are Peabody/Danvers/Beverly; mainly from Exit 19 (Sohier Rd./Brimball Ave.) and southwestward.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman

Quote from: PHLBOS on May 22, 2019, 10:44:21 AM
Many signs along that stretch of 128 are fairly recent; particularly from Beverly/Wenham up to Grant Circle (MA 127/Exit 11) in Gloucester.  The only areas that still have pockets of 90s or older vintage signs are Peabody/Danvers/Beverly; mainly from Exit 19 (Sohier Rd./Brimball Ave.) and southwestward.
Most of the Route 128 signs between Lowell Street and Grant Circle, with the exception of Route 114 to Route 62, were last updated in 2004.  MassDOT typically allows for a 18 to 20 year cycle of replacing freeway sign panels, so the date of this new project makes sense.  Note that this project will be panels only.  The signs at Route 35 and Route 62 were replaced as part of the recent interchange reconfigurations, and the signs between Route 114 and Endicott Street will be replaced as part of a separate project to redo the bridge over the Waters River, which will include some minor widening to allow for a third lane between Route 114 and Endicott Street each way.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

RobbieL2415

I'm bummed they replaced all the signs on the Mid-Cape.  They could've issued residents an ultimatum; say "yes" to mile-based exits or you'll be stuck with non-reflective, peeling signs.

roadman

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on May 22, 2019, 12:16:09 PM

I'm bummed they replaced all the signs on the Mid-Cape.  They could've issued residents an ultimatum; say "yes" to mile-based exits or you'll be stuck with non-reflective, peeling signs.
Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman on May 22, 2019, 11:28:59 AM
Most of the Route 128 signs between Lowell Street and Grant Circle, with the exception of Route 114 to Route 62, were last updated in 2004.
I didn't know that those newer signs were that old.  Such still look in great shape IMHO.

Quote from: roadman on May 22, 2019, 11:28:59 AM...the signs between Route 114 and Endicott Street will be replaced as part of a separate project to redo the bridge over the Waters River, which will include some minor widening to allow for a third lane between Route 114 and Endicott Street each way.
That widening's a long time coming.  Although such will make cemetery entrance along the northbound lanes very interesting*.

*to be read in Arte Johnson/Wolfgang voice.

Edit to add:

Will this widening also mean that the Endicott St. overpass will be replaced as well?  The openings underneath the current structure don't appear wide enough to accommodate the additional two lanes.

The other option would be to convert the half-cloverleaf into a diamond interchange (is that indeed the plan?).  That way the additional lanes/lead-in ramps between the Endicott St. and MA 114 Westbound won't impact the overpass structure.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

mass_citizen

Quote from: Rothman on May 22, 2019, 08:45:31 AM

No kidding.  I handed out the FMIS authorization in my office when MassDOT requested the funding for the switchover (with HSIP funding, no less, which was very interesting since FHWA's NY Division was being overly strict about that program's use at the time).  Having MassDOT do a 180 due to public opposition made me scream.

So government listening to the will of the public is a bad thing?

hotdogPi

Quote from: mass_citizen on May 24, 2019, 12:33:10 AM
Quote from: Rothman on May 22, 2019, 08:45:31 AM

So government listening to the will of the public is a bad thing?

It was a vocal minority, and the Cape shouldn't affect the whole state.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

PHLBOS

Quote from: 1 on May 24, 2019, 07:33:19 AMIt was a vocal minority, and the Cape shouldn't affect the whole state.
That's just it.  IMHO, MassDOT could've very easily proceeded with the changes along other highways (I would've started with the Interstates first) and revisited the changes for Mid-Cape Highway (US 6) later on... i.e. save it for last.  After seeing that the changes elsewhere didn't create The End of the World As We Know It (apologies to R.E.M.).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Rothman

Quote from: PHLBOS on May 24, 2019, 09:02:59 AM
Quote from: 1 on May 24, 2019, 07:33:19 AMIt was a vocal minority, and the Cape shouldn't affect the whole state.
That's just it.  IMHO, MassDOT could've very easily proceeded with the changes along other highways (I would've started with the Interstates first) and revisited the changes for Mid-Cape Highway (US 6) later on... i.e. save it for last.  After seeing that the changes elsewhere didn't create The End of the World As We Know It (apologies to R.E.M.).
Darn right.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

RobbieL2415

This is the first comprehensive study to fix Cape traffic I've ever seen
https://www.boston.com/cars/local-news/2019/05/23/cape-cod-traffic-plan-massdot/amp

PurdueBill

Quote from: PHLBOS on May 24, 2019, 09:02:59 AM

It would even follow precedent from other states (e.g., Pennsylvania going mileage-based on Interstates but not other roads).  Mass needs to go ahead and do it, starting with the Pike.

SectorZ

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on May 24, 2019, 11:36:45 AM
This is the first comprehensive study to fix Cape traffic I've ever seen
https://www.boston.com/cars/local-news/2019/05/23/cape-cod-traffic-plan-massdot/amp

Good grief it's bad enough on signs, but now on official plans they can't get what's a state route and what's a US route right? Usually US routes get relegated, its refreshing to see a state route get upgraded for once...

RobbieL2415

That whole project will be a PITA since the bridges are Federal property.  I dread a situation where MassDOT acts but the ACoE does nothing.

BTW any full-build option in the study was dead on arrival due to environmental concerns.  Personally I would also like to see these things happen:

-Widening of western portion of US 6 from 10' to 12' lanes.  Add full shoulder.
-Lengthening of acceleration areas on all on-ramps
-Temporary "Stop" signs or metered ramps at Exits 10-12, in operation Memorial Day through Columbus Day
-Addition of half-mile long "passing areas" along the super-2 portion of US 6.
-Relocation of Exit 6 service area to median strip just east of current location.
-Add climbing lane west of Exit 6.
-During major traffic incidents, re-route traffic onto Service Rd.  Construct new cut-aways to it.
-Formal adoption of a contraflow plan for storm evacuation
-Decommission MA 25 and make it I-495 instead.  Having a primary SR number on a short freeway makes no sense.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on May 24, 2019, 10:09:11 PM
-Decommission MA 25 and make it I-495 instead.  Having a primary SR number on a short freeway makes no sense.

Perhaps MassDOT should take a page from the NYSDOT playbook and renumber MA 25 as MA 495.  The only reason MA 25 exists is that it was the original number for I-495 south of I-95 in Mansfield.  Not often that a child route intersects with and then continues past its parent (not counting the new I-95/I-295 crossing in NJ).  I-476 and I-390 are a couple others, and then there's the rare duplex with the parent a la I-287 (which was planned when I-87 followed I-684 then I-84 to Newburgh instead of the Thruway),
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

PurdueBill

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on May 24, 2019, 11:25:29 PM

Perhaps MassDOT should take a page from the NYSDOT playbook and renumber MA 25 as MA 495.  The only reason MA 25 exists is that it was the original number for I-495 south of I-95 in Mansfield.  Not often that a child route intersects with and then continues past its parent (not counting the new I-95/I-295 crossing in NJ).  I-476 and I-390 are a couple others, and then there's the rare duplex with the parent a la I-287 (which was planned when I-87 followed I-684 then I-84 to Newburgh instead of the Thruway),

For ease of exit numbering, if they do not ever go mileage-based and the existing numbers stay, making 25 become part of 195 would be an alternative that would make sense because the numbers would count upward on the extension instead of having to renumber everything on the existing 495.  On the other hand, if Mass goes mileage-based, extending 495 to the Canal would be an ideal time to renumber and extend all at once, but FHWA wanting Interstates to end at other Interstates probably would not allow either to be extended anyway.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: PurdueBill on May 24, 2019, 11:52:19 PM

For ease of exit numbering, if they do not ever go mileage-based and the existing numbers stay, making 25 become part of 195 would be an alternative that would make sense because the numbers would count upward on the extension instead of having to renumber everything on the existing 495.  On the other hand, if Mass goes mileage-based, extending 495 to the Canal would be an ideal time to renumber and extend all at once, but FHWA wanting Interstates to end at other Interstates probably would not allow either to be extended anyway.

Renumbering it as MA 495 and signing it East-West could alleviate having to re-milepost I-495.  Even leaving it as MA 25, I have I-195 as Exit 1 because it falls within the 0-1 MP of both I-495 and MA 25 heading out in opposite directions.  The same thing would happen in NJ with an Exit 0 for the NJTP at the I-287/NJ 440 transition point if NJ 440 were ever given exit numbers.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

RobbieL2415

Why would you do that when the highway is built to Interstate standards?

vdeane

Quote from: PurdueBill on May 24, 2019, 11:52:19 PM
I like this idea.  It would still end at a US route and one of the bridges to Cape Cod, so I would think it would be a logical exception.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Mergingtraffic

One of three button copy BGS that are related to the Mass Pike.  All pics taken within the last month or so.

The others:

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.