News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Ada, Oklahoma Is Not Connected To Any 4 Lane Roads:

Started by In_Correct, July 17, 2017, 04:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Best Project To Connect Ada 4 Lane Roads To Other 4 Lane Roads?

Seminole
3 (10.3%)
Pauls Valley
3 (10.3%)
Lexington Purcell
3 (10.3%)
Sulphur Davis
4 (13.8%)
Atoka
1 (3.4%)
Madill
1 (3.4%)
Tecumseh Shawnee
4 (13.8%)
Some Other Route(s) Should Be Upgraded.
3 (10.3%)
I Do Not Like 4 Lane Roads.
1 (3.4%)
Where Is Ada, Oklahoma?
20 (69%)

Total Members Voted: 29

In_Correct

One of my dream roads is U.S. 377 being extended through Nebraska. ... and widened to 4 lane, perhaps 4 lane divided. In Texas, I would like to see Texas Interstate (includes Frontage Roads) for U.S. 377.

I noticed one of the towns near U.S. 377 is Ada, Oklahoma. Ada, Oklahoma has no 4 lane roads that connect to other 4 lane roads. Ada is not far from Interstate 35 and Interstate 40.

I have read many towns in Oklahoma do not want to be bypassed. It seems that Ada has built its own bypass. The only thing left to finish is a 4 lane road to at least one of the Interstates.

According to Google Maps, which is probably wrong:

Perhaps the closest access to Interstate 35 is through Pauls Valley, but in addition to adding passing lanes they would also have to add a grade separation(s) for rail tracks.

Another access would be through Lexington and Purcell. There is a grade separation for the rail tracks but this bridge would need to be replaced or doubled.

The closest thing to a 4 lane road to Interstate 35 is through Sulphur and Davis. The 2 lane roads are Chickasaw Turnpike, either Spur 7 or U.S. 177 (but that is for a different discussion),  and Hanover & Primrose to avoid the rail tracks. An additional bridge can be added on Primrose south of the existing bridge. The 4 lane roads are parts of S.H. 1 and S.H. 7.

The closest thing to a 4 lane road to Interstate 40 is U.S. 377 north of Ada, between Ada and Seminole & Interstate 40. It is not a complete 4 lane road, but it seems there are approximately 16 or 17 Kilometers remaining. If these 16 or 17 Kilometers of U.S. 377 were finished, then it would provide 4 lane road to Interstate 40.

And more completion of U.S. 377! :biggrin:

I have been looking everywhere for information when U.S. 377 added passing lanes. And are there any plans to finish U.S. 377 between Ada and Seminole? Or is a different connection project going to happen?
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

rte66man

That has been a great complaint from those in Ada since forever.  There once was a very powerful House member from Ada named Lonnie Abbott.  He always tried to hold highway bills hostage until his dream of connecting Ada with Davis and I-40 north of Seminole with a 4-lane expressway was realized.  He is the reason the Chickasaw Turnpike was built.  He is also the reason US377 is SLOWLY being widened north to I-40.  At one time, he was sure he could get a turnpike from Davis through Ada to Henryetta built.  I have some spare time and will try to put something together to post.

EDIT:
Here is the relevant authorizing statute:
"§69-1705.  Authority - Powers and duties.
   The Oklahoma Turnpike Authority is hereby authorized and empowered:
   (e)  To construct, maintain, repair and operate turnpike projects and highways, with their access and connecting roads, at such locations and on such
   routes as it shall determine to be feasible and economically sound; provided, that until specifically authorized by the Legislature, the Authority shall be
   authorized to construct and operate toll turnpikes only at the following locations:
   (10)  A turnpike or any part or parts thereof beginning in the vicinity of Duncan extending east to the vicinity of the City of Davis, and extending in
   a northeasterly direction, by way of the vicinity of the City of Ada, to a connection in the vicinity of Henryetta
or in the vicinity of the intersection
   of State Highway 48 and Interstate 40; and a turnpike or any part or parts thereof from the vicinity of Snyder extending north to the vicinity of
   Woodward."
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Scott5114

But none of those four-lane roads connect to four-lane roads outside of Ada. I have to deal with people from Ada fairly often at my job and some exposure to the outside world would do them well.

It would be nice if SH-3W was upgraded to four lanes, then continue on a new-terrain diagonal toward Norman to tie into SH-9. That would connect Ada to two of the three largest cities in the state.

The way to get this done is through the Chickasaw Nation. They own Ada and if they wanted it done they could lean on the right people to get it done.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Brandon

Does Ada need to be connected by four-lane roads?  There are plenty of other similarly-sized cities across the county that are connected solely by tow-lane roads.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

rte66man

Quote from: Brandon on July 18, 2017, 02:05:18 PM
Does Ada need to be connected by four-lane roads?  There are plenty of other similarly-sized cities across the county that are connected solely by tow-lane roads.

Politics.  As Scott mentioned upthread, if the Chickasaws want it done, it will happen, otherwise there isn't enough money for ODOT to do it nor would it be feasible for OTA.

-Yogi Berra

Scott5114

Quote from: Brandon on July 18, 2017, 02:05:18 PM

The headquarters for the Chickasaw Nation (and a lot of its service centers) are located in Ada, so there's more travel to and from there than its population alone would indicate.

Gnutella

Looking at my road atlas, if Ada needs more four-lane highways, why not widen OK 19 west to Pauls Valley, and OK 3 east to Atoka? That'll give it faster connections to I-35 northbound and U.S. 75.

rte66man

Quote from: Gnutella on July 19, 2017, 06:39:05 AM
Looking at my road atlas, if Ada needs more four-lane highways, why not widen OK 19 west to Pauls Valley, and OK 3 east to Atoka? That'll give it faster connections to I-35 northbound and U.S. 75.

Widening OK3 east is a waste. That is not what needs connected.

Widening OK19 to just north of Pauls Valley Lake, then cutting NW to I-35 at Paoli would be a better option for OKC metro traffic

-Yogi Berra

Scott5114

Between 1961 and 1968, SH-145 met SH-19 twice, more or less cutting off the southernly dip that SH-19 takes to serve Pauls Valley. It would be nice if it was re-extended to allow an all-SH routing to I-35 that avoids Pauls Valley.

SH-19 could use some improvements between Pauls Valley and Ada anyway. There's a decent number of curves and hills that could be improved. You could even throw in a Stratford bypass if you wanted to get fancy with it.

Bobby5280

I think a new terrain route from Ada to the Norman area would be a good thing. Either that, or go just South of the Canadian River and build the route from Purcell to Ada.

Chances are very slim for a new terrain 4-lane road that to get built just on its own. If there was a larger corridor project, such an Oklahoma City to Texarkana highway, towns like Ada (and others like Atoka, Antlers & Idabel) could be connected to it.

In the meantime the emphasis will be on improving existing roads to deal with increased traffic volume, safety issues or both.

IMHO, the Chickasaw Turnpike is a waste. An Ada to Pauls Valley turnpike would have little value to the overall region. It's not quite as silly as the Duncan to Davis or Snyder to Clinton turnpike proposals in the 1990's.

bugo

Quote from: In_Correct on July 17, 2017, 04:29:51 PM
One of my dream roads is U.S. 377 being extended through Nebraska. ... and widened to 4 lane, perhaps 4 lane divided. In Texas, I would like to see Texas Interstate (includes Frontage Roads) for U.S. 377.

Here's how I would realign the x77 highways in Kansas, Nebraska and Oklahoma: US 77 would follow US 177 from Blackwell to South Haven, US 81 from South Haven to Wichita and K-254 from Wichita to El Dorado where it would meet current US 77. US 177 would follow US 77 from Ponca City to El Dorado, US 54 from El Dorado to the K-177 intersection and follow K-177 all the way to US 24 in Manhattan. US 277 would follow I-44 from exit 107 to exit 123 and follow OK 74 from Oklahoma City to US 60 in Lamont. US 377 would follow OK 99, K-99 and N-99 from Stroud to north of Burchard, NE, K-4 east to N-50, N-50 north to I-80, I-80 east to I-680, I-680 to exit 6, and N-133 to US 30 in Blair.

US 81 would follow K-49 from Caldwell to Viola and K-42 from Viola to Wichita, where it would meet its current route. US 166 would follow US 81 from South Haven to Caldwell.

This should really be in the fantasy road forum.

In_Correct

Quote from: bugo on July 31, 2017, 06:28:00 AM
Quote from: In_Correct on July 17, 2017, 04:29:51 PM

Here's how I would realign the x77 highways in Kansas, Nebraska and Oklahoma: US 77 would follow US 177 from Blackwell to South Haven, US 81 from South Haven to Wichita and K-254 from Wichita to El Dorado where it would meet current US 77. US 177 would follow US 77 from Ponca City to El Dorado, US 54 from El Dorado to the K-177 intersection and follow K-177 all the way to US 24 in Manhattan. US 277 would follow I-44 from exit 107 to exit 123 and follow OK 74 from Oklahoma City to US 60 in Lamont. US 377 would follow OK 99, K-99 and N-99 from Stroud to north of Burchard, NE, K-4 east to N-50, N-50 north to I-80, I-80 east to I-680, I-680 to exit 6, and N-133 to US 30 in Blair.

US 81 would follow K-49 from Caldwell to Viola and K-42 from Viola to Wichita, where it would meet its current route. US 166 would follow US 81 from South Haven to Caldwell.

This should really be in the fantasy road forum.

Please draw a map instead.

Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

MCRoads

I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Brandon

Quote from: MCRoads on October 05, 2017, 02:47:32 PM
Where is Ada? And why is this important?

Somewhere in the wilds of Oklahoma.  And, no, it isn't really important, just about the size of Streator, Illinois, with just as much four-lane highway access.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ada,_Oklahoma
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

US71

Quote from: MCRoads on October 05, 2017, 02:47:32 PM
Where is Ada? And why is this important?

It is near impossible to get a hotel room in Ada without a reservation, and then, they are expensive. I was there last year tracking down a couple old bridges.

US 89

Didn't OK DOT extend US 377 without AASHTO approval so there could be a US Highway in Ada?

US71

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.