News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Mn/DOT considering diverging diamond?

Started by Coelacanth, November 30, 2010, 04:19:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coelacanth

http://www.dot.state.mn.us/metro/projects/hwy100slp/pdfs/concepts.pdf

Note this is a fairly large pdf file.

Option D appears to be a diverging diamond at TH 100 and Hennepin CSAH 5 (Minnetonka Blvd).

Unfortunately I can't make their open house next week.

RoadWarrior56

The DDI concept is spreading all over the country.  There are three DDI's under development in the Atlanta area, one on I-285 and two on I-85.  I-285 @ Ashford-Dunwoody Road is currently scheduled to start construction next summer and be completed by the end of October.  I-85 @ Jimmy Carter and I-85 @ Pleasant Hill Road will follow.

TheHighwayMan3561

Whatever they do, I can't wait for them to get rid of the suicide loops from MN 7 onto MN 100. My heart beats a little faster every time I have to go down one of those ramps.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

froggie

To be fair, with the temporary 3rd-lane project from a few years ago, there's only one "suicide loop" left at 7/100.

Coelacanth

Yes, the TH 7 to SB TH 100 is the only true "suicide loop".

However, the ramp from CSAH 5 to NB TH 100 is close. Very tight acceleration lane which ends at an even tighter shoulder.

Both of these are so bad that if I'm on TH 7 (or CSAH 25) and I want to go SB on TH 100, I'll take city streets to CSAH 5. Likewise if I'm on CSAH 5 and I want to go NB on 100, I'll cut over to TH 7. Depending on traffic, of course. If it's 8 am on a Saturday none of these are dangerous.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.