News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

VMS signs in New York

Started by webny99, February 08, 2018, 10:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

I've noticed many of the VMS's, at least in Region 4, have been providing much more helpful information recently, in the past few weeks and months, than they have in years past.

I'll see notices like "RIGHT LANE BLOCKED AT NORTON STREET" or "PLOWING OPERATIONS IN PROGRESS/REDUCE SPEED". They also have been giving advance notices for storm warnings - "HEAVY SNOW EXPECTED" and "WINTER STORM WARNING/UNTIL 4 AM THURSDAY".

Have VMS's in other areas of the state also begun providing more useful and valuable messages as of late, or were they already doing this and Region 4 is just catching up?  :D

Buffaboy

Region 5 VMS on I-190 N 2 days ago warned of winter weather the next day.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

machias

Quote from: Buffaboy on February 09, 2018, 09:38:59 AM

Last winter and summer, Region 2 posted "WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY" or "SEVERE WEATHER WATCH" on their little VMSes in the Utica-Rome Area. They also would post planned exit closures and such during the Arterial project, "Court St Ramp Closed Tuesday". Everything was a ramp.

webny99

Quote from: upstatenyroads on February 10, 2018, 12:52:26 PM
Last winter and summer, Region 2 posted "WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY" or "SEVERE WEATHER WATCH" on their little VMSes in the Utica-Rome Area. They also would post planned exit closures and such during the Arterial project, "Court St Ramp Closed Tuesday". Everything was a ramp.

Well, that was what I'm wondering - was that the first year they did so?
Last winter was the first time in my life that I've seen a winter storm warning on a VMS. The trend seems to have accelerated this winter - which is great, I'm just interested in what (if anything) prompted the improvements.

baugh17

No changes again this winter for R2, although yesterday, the VMS on NY 5S west entering downtown Utica read "STAY AWAKE"/"STAY ALERT".

Buffaboy

Quote from: baugh17 on March 10, 2018, 10:02:57 AM
No changes again this winter for R2, although yesterday, the VMS on NY 5S west entering downtown Utica read "STAY AWAKE"/"STAY ALERT".

I saw that too on the NY198 WB ramp...
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

seicer

In the rural areas - such as along I-86, the VMSes are just standard electronic construction signs. How are these updated? Surely they are not linked via fiber or have a satellite link?

Bobby5280

It all depends on the sign's configuration. If it's a temporary or portable installation (such as an electronic construction sign) the sign may have to be updated physically in person with a computer or some type of mobile device connected to it. Permanent VMS displays, like traffic LED signs or digital billboards, will usually be updated via a dedicated Internet connection. Older signs would use cellular connections and or even bag phones for a different old-school approach. Most LED-based signs for businesses are now updated via WiFi-based radios between the sign and a host computer inside the business. Coaxial cable and fiber optic connections have been used in the past, but running that cable can be expensive and with a coax based connection electrical discharge from storms is a threat. Radios eliminate much of that problem.

vdeane

I suspect this one is connected.  I've often wondered why a portable sign was used for a permanent installation rather than just putting in a permanent one.  This one is also permanent, but isn't usually activated.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Bobby5280

My guess is those two examples have cellular based Internet connections. The solar panels on top imply there may not be easy (read: inexpensive) access to power.

GenExpwy

This might explain what I saw yesterday:

I was coming back from Corning on I-390. There's a portable-type VMS for northbound traffic in the median near the Cohocton SCENIC VIEW area. The message yesterday was (something like) WRECK AHEAD/USE CAUTION.

Problem is, I saw no sign of a wreck from there until I exited in Wayland. There was, however, a fairly substantial incident being cleared up on the southbound side miles back at the 390/86 interchange.

It looked like the VMS had been changed remotely, on a moment's notice, without having to send a crew to the sign – but whoever did it forgot which way that VMS is pointing.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: GenExpwy on March 14, 2018, 04:11:13 AM
This might explain what I saw yesterday:

I was coming back from Corning on I-390. There’s a portable-type VMS for northbound traffic in the median near the Cohocton SCENIC VIEW area. The message yesterday was (something like) WRECK AHEAD/USE CAUTION.

Problem is, I saw no sign of a wreck from there until I exited in Wayland. There was, however, a fairly substantial incident being cleared up on the southbound side miles back at the 390/86 interchange.

It looked like the VMS had been changed remotely, on a moment’s notice, without having to send a crew to the sign — but whoever did it forgot which way that VMS is pointing.

Could've been - they hit the wrong button for the sign they wanted.

Also...a crash could've been on the Northbound side causing a minimal delay, and the crash scene was cleaned up and any residual delay gone between the time you saw the sign and you passed what was the accident scene.

That, imo, is the most frustrating part of an accident.  When it's there, you can see what the slowdown is all about.  But the moment after the last tow truck clears the scene and the cops leave, everyone driving by there now thinks "Why are we slowing down for no reason"?

Flyer78

Quote from: vdeane on March 13, 2018, 07:59:57 PM
I suspect this one is connected.  I've often wondered why a portable sign was used for a permanent installation rather than just putting in a permanent one.  This one is also permanent, but isn't usually activated.

Cost? North-Eastern PA did a roll-out in the 2000s with portable VMS setup at fixed locations along 81.. While a few have been replaced with higher, permanent or over-road style signs; it seemed like "Phase 1" (my term) was just acquire the technology at the cheapest price...

roadman

Quote from: Flyer78 on March 14, 2018, 08:56:27 AM

Cost? North-Eastern PA did a roll-out in the 2000s with portable VMS setup at fixed locations along 81.. While a few have been replaced with higher, permanent or over-road style signs; it seemed like "Phase 1" (my term) was just acquire the technology at the cheapest price...

MassDOT undertook a similar approach in the 1990s when they modified a bunch of trailer-mounted PCMS panels that had been previously deployed by mounting them on concrete pads and adding permanent communications connections.  They even removed the tires from the trailers.  Low cost (they already had the panels) and relatively quick deployment as compared to new overhead panels and structures.  The majority of these "permanent-portable" units have since been replaced with standard overhead or smaller ground-mounted installations - the ground-mounted signs, which run on solar, are used where commercial power cannot be provided.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Flyer78 on March 14, 2018, 08:56:27 AM

This little spot here, off of the Southbound NJ Turnpike shoulder between Interchange 2 & 1, was built for a variable VMS placement sometime in the 90's or early 00's.  A unit here would've been useful to inform of delays approaching the Int. 1 toll plaza, or maybe an issue in Delaware.  With the updated permanent VMS system on the Turnpike in place, it hasn't been used in years.

webny99

Did those originally appear as part of a construction project, or were they meant to be permanent?

vdeane

No idea, they've been around at least as long as I've been here.  Going by the street view, the one at exit 6 is older - it's only on when there's an accident or something.  The one at the Twin Bridges showed up sometime between 2011 and 2014.  Maybe from the project that was there a few years ago?  There was also one further north, in the Adirondacks.  That one was only used by border patrol and I think it's since been removed.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.