News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Dulles Toll Road/Dulles Airport Access Road

Started by mightyace, July 13, 2009, 06:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrsman

Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 11, 2014, 03:14:31 PM
WTOP Radio: Greenway tolls go up on Friday, again

QuoteTolls are already high on the Dulles Greenway, but starting Friday the rates will go even higher.

QuoteA one-way trip during rush hour jumps from $4.90 to $5.10, regardless of whether you pay with cash, credit card or E-ZPass. For commuters on the Dulles Toll Road, the trip will cost minimum $6.10 because of the exit fee. Round-trip, five days a week through the Dulles Toll Road could cost commuters $3,000 per year, or more.

Quote"It is unbelievable that in the midst of a major investigation into the practices of the Greenway, the owners of the Greenway would seek yet another rate increase," says Del. David Ramadan of Loudoun County.

Quote"It is even more unbelievable that the SCC decided to grant the increase prior to our challenge even being heard by the full commission. It clearly demonstrates that the deck is stacked against our commuters, on whose behalf I am fighting."

QuoteRamadan is suing the owners of the Dulles Greenway because he believes the high tolls "materially discourage users" from driving on the highway. In simpler terms, commuters purposely avoid the Greenway because it's too expensive. Drivers often take 28 either north or south, then use local roads to reach their destination. It takes longer and those back roads aren't designed to deal with the volume of cars, but it saves money.

I hate high tolls and the Greenway's tolls are a lot higher than most of the roads that I travel.  So I know that I would probably shunpike as well if I had to drive through that corridor, even though I might consider paying for the Dulles Toll Road if traffic were high.

Yet that being said, it is a private enterprise.  And I feel they can charge what they want, even if I don't like it.

1995hoo

I don't head to Leesburg all that often, so when I do go out there I tend to use the Greenway because of the time savings. If I had to commute from out that way, however, I'd find another route even if it took longer. The money would simply add up to be too much too quickly.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

cpzilliacus

Washington Post: Higher tolls pushing many off the Dulles Toll Road

QuoteWhen the Dulles Toll Road was built in 1984, it was meant to provide quick local access to the interchanges between the Capital Beltway and Dulles International Airport. An average of 327,296 vehicles traverse the roadway daily. But after five straight years of toll increases, many drivers have decided that the convenience, such that it is, is no longer worth the cost.

Quote"You talk to people and they go, "˜Oh, hell, no – I don't use the toll road,' "  said Tammi Petrine, a longtime Reston resident who used to use it but now avoids it whenever possible.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Washington Post: No signs of relief from Dulles Greenway toll increases

QuoteLegislative attempts to halt the steadily rising tolls on the privately owned Dulles Greenway have failed in Richmond in recent weeks, deepening frustration among local officials and commuters who have long opposed the road's price structure.

QuoteDel. David I. Ramadan (R-Loudoun) is one of the most outspoken critics of the toll rates implemented by the greenway's operator, Toll Road Investors Partnership II. Ramadan introduced a bill to the Virginia General Assembly last month that aimed to force TRIP II to lower its rates and apply distance-based pricing – meaning that drivers would pay only for the mileage they travel.

QuoteBut the bill died Feb. 5 in the House Commerce and Labor Committee, despite testimony from Loudoun County Board of Supervisors Chairman Scott K. York (R-At Large) and regulatory expert Robert Van Hoecke in favor of the legislation.

QuoteRamadan vowed to continue the battle and said that the road's owners had used "every bit of their influence"  to kill the bill.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Truvelo

I need some advice here. I'll be flying to Dulles soon and I need to know the position on airport business regarding rental cars. I'll be picking up and returning the car to the airport. I'm not so much concerned about being stopped by police cruisers but any violations issued to the rental car company and the resulting admin fee they charge in addition to any fines.

On a related note one of my journeys will take me northwest from the airport towards Leesburg. I believe the Greenway is tolled for all vehicles including airport traffic. A free alternative appears to be VA 28 and then 7 westwards to Leesburg. Is this a viable shunpike? Some work is taking place to upgrade a few of the junctions on VA 7 to interchanges. Is this causing delays?
Speed limits limit life

AlexandriaVA

I can't speak to your second question, but I don't understand your first question. What violations and administration fees are you talking about?

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Truvelo on September 13, 2017, 01:48:34 PM
I need some advice here. I'll be flying to Dulles soon and I need to know the position on airport business regarding rental cars. I'll be picking up and returning the car to the airport. I'm not so much concerned about being stopped by police cruisers but any violations issued to the rental car company and the resulting admin fee they charge in addition to any fines.

This should not be a problem for you.  If you are using a rental company on-airport (and at Dulles, that is where most of them are),  you will not have a problem with the MWAA (Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority) Police.

If you mean automated enforcement (red lights and speed enforcement cameras) and you activate one, then you are going to get nailed - and probably nailed with added fees and charges from the rental car company. These are much more common in Washington, D.C. (the District of Columbia) than in other places (and their use in Virginia is severely limited by state law).  If you mean toll charges for driving on toll roads and toll crossings without an E-ZPass transponder, see below.

On a related note one of my journeys will take me northwest from the airport towards Leesburg. I believe the Greenway is tolled for all vehicles including airport traffic. A free alternative appears to be VA 28 and then 7 westwards to Leesburg. Is this a viable shunpike? Some work is taking place to upgrade a few of the junctions on VA 7 to interchanges. Is this causing delays?

1.  Unlike travel from Dulles to the east, there is no "free" freeway-class alternative route to VA-267 (Dulles Greenway) between VA-28 and U.S. 15 near Leesburg. 

2.  Most of the Dulles Greenway accepts payment by E-ZPass transponder or credit card swipe only.  However, the main toll barrier (located here) is an exception, and accepts payment in cash at certain times (details here)

3.  VA-7 (Harry Byrd Highway) can have severe congestion during peak commute times (roughly 0600 to 0900 and 1500 to 1900) in either direction.  It is indeed used as a way to shunpike the Dulles Greenway.  The combination of VA-28, VA-640 (Waxpool Road), VA-625 (Ashburn Farm Parkway) and VA-643 (Sycolin Road) is another shunpike route, though I have not tried it during peak commute times.

You  probably already know this - but anyway - do not use the E-ZPass transponders that come with most rental cars unless you absolutely have to.  They are seriously overpriced and most of them charge a daily rate (if you use it even once) for the duration of your rental.   If you have need for an E-ZPass transponder and cannot get one, send me a PM and maybe we can work something out (I have a spare).

Also - in Virginia - remember that the Commonwealth has severe penalties for reckless driving, and it is pretty easy to get banged with reckless driving by speed.  Breaking the speed limit by 20 MPH anywhere, or exceeding 80 MPH anywhere (even with posted limit of 70 MPH) leaves you open to a reckless driving ticket, which is a criminal offense, not a traffic violation.

jeffandnicole

Just make sure you don't go thru any lane marked 'EZ Pass Only', and you'll be fine.

Also, don't speed by speed cameras if you're in DC. If there's red light cameras, stop at the red lights.

Other than that, you shouldn't have a problem.

Truvelo

Thanks for you help everyone. Regarding E-ZPass transponders I learnt this the hard way many years ago. I used it on the first and last day of a week long trip and was billed for all the intervening days as well :banghead:

As cash and card are still options I may not have any problems if I'm forced to use tollways. Just depends if $6 is better than taking slower roads which use more gas.
Speed limits limit life

AlexandriaVA

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 13, 2017, 02:29:58 PM

Just make sure you don't go thru any lane marked 'EZ Pass Only', and you'll be fine.

Also, don't speed by speed cameras if you're in DC. If there's red light cameras, stop at the red lights.

I'd go further and advise our guest to stop at all red lights, irrespective of a camera or not...

jeffandnicole

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on September 13, 2017, 03:10:08 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 13, 2017, 02:29:58 PM

I'd go further and advise our guest to stop at all red lights, irrespective of a camera or not...

Hey, he was only concerned what would result in violations resulting in admin fees and fines.

I might as well say that he should follow all rules of the road then if I need to spell everything out.

LM117

Quote from: cpzilliacus on September 13, 2017, 02:23:41 PMAlso - in Virginia - remember that the Commonwealth has severe penalties for reckless driving, and it is pretty easy to get banged with reckless driving by speed.  Breaking the speed limit by 20 MPH anywhere, or exceeding 80 MPH anywhere (even with posted limit of 70 MPH) leaves you open to a reckless driving ticket, which is a criminal offense, not a traffic violation.

This can't be emphasized enough. Virginia doesn't fuck around when it comes to speeding, even if it's not quite fast enough to warrant a Reckless Driving charge. Ticket revenue is a big deal here.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Truvelo

Quote from: LM117 on September 13, 2017, 03:37:44 PMVirginia doesn't fuck around when it comes to speeding, even if it's not quite fast enough to warrant a Reckless Driving charge. Ticket revenue is a big deal here.

Yes, I was done years ago on I-77 in Bland County coming out of one of the tunnels. Cop was in a plain Charger. I was speeding for about 10 seconds just to get past a couple of trucks who were blocking my view.
Speed limits limit life

odditude

a few comments from a new transplant to the area...

Quote from: cpzilliacus on September 13, 2017, 02:23:41 PM
2.  Most of the Dulles Greenway accepts payment by E-ZPass transponder or credit card swipe only.  However, the main toll barrier (located here) is an exception, and accepts payment in cash at certain times (details here)
I avoid the Greenway at all costs; tolls on this section of VA-267 are extortionate, with a bare-minimum $5.50 toll as soon as you pass the airport, and additional toll upon exiting.

Quote from: cpzilliacus3.  VA-7 (Harry Byrd Highway) can have severe congestion during peak commute times (roughly 0600 to 0900 and 1500 to 1900) in either direction.  It is indeed used as a way to shunpike the Dulles Greenway.  The combination of VA-28, VA-640 (Waxpool Road), VA-625 (Ashburn Farm Parkway) and VA-643 (Sycolin Road) is another shunpike route, though I have not tried it during peak commute times.
Waxpool Rd can be very messy in the immediate area of VA-28 (there are warning lights on the advance signage for the left exit from VA-28 NB warning of this) but the traffic tapers off fairly quickly. A decent chunk of traffic turns left to follow Waxpool Rd instead of continuing straight onto Ashburn Farm Pkwy, which helps.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: odditude on September 14, 2017, 09:28:05 AM
a few comments from a new transplant to the area...

Quote from: cpzilliacus on September 13, 2017, 02:23:41 PM
I avoid the Greenway at all costs; tolls on this section of VA-267 are extortionate, with a bare-minimum $5.50 toll as soon as you pass the airport, and additional toll upon exiting.

There are no ramp tolls on the Dulles Greenway if you drive through the main toll plaza (note that there are ramp tolls after the main barrier if you drive the Dulles Toll Road).

Quote from: odditude on September 14, 2017, 09:28:05 AM
Quote from: cpzilliacus3.  VA-7 (Harry Byrd Highway) can have severe congestion during peak commute times (roughly 0600 to 0900 and 1500 to 1900) in either direction.  It is indeed used as a way to shunpike the Dulles Greenway.  The combination of VA-28, VA-640 (Waxpool Road), VA-625 (Ashburn Farm Parkway) and VA-643 (Sycolin Road) is another shunpike route, though I have not tried it during peak commute times.
Waxpool Rd can be very messy in the immediate area of VA-28 (there are warning lights on the advance signage for the left exit from VA-28 NB warning of this) but the traffic tapers off fairly quickly. A decent chunk of traffic turns left to follow Waxpool Rd instead of continuing straight onto Ashburn Farm Pkwy, which helps.

Agree about the warning lights on VA-28.  Because of the lack of ramp tolls for traffic on the Dulles Greenway, the per-mile charge for short trips is rather unreasonable, and I can see why people going only a few miles west of VA-28 do not want pay those hefty tolls to use it. 

At least drivers that go all the way to Leesburg spread those toll charges out over a longer distance.  If I am out that way, I am usually driving all the way to the opposite end.  I have used the Greenway a few times for work, driving from the main barrier to VA-659, but I got reimbursed by my employer for those trips. I would probably shunpike if I was making that trip on  a regular basis.

1995hoo

Regarding the tolls on the Greenway (the portion of VA-267 west of the VA-28 interchange), the way the tolls operate is pretty much the opposite of the way the tolls operate on the Dulles Toll Road (the portion of 267 east of the VA-28 interchange).

On the Dulles Toll Road, there is the main toll plaza in Tysons that has a $2.50 toll (the signs put this in extremely small print for some idiotic reason, so if you're paying cash, be prepared). Then there are ramp tolls at just about every interchange (a few very minor exceptions) for people entering the toll road eastbound and exiting westbound. The principle here is that westbound traffic might be heading to the airport, so the road is set up to allow you to get to the Dulles Access Road (free lanes) without paying a toll. Same principle eastbound–eastbound traffic might be coming from the airport, so most of the ramps have no tolls in order to allow airport traffic to exit free. An exception is at VA-7, but since there is a direct exit from the Access Road that one doesn't matter. There is also a westbound entry toll and an eastbound exit toll at Spring Hill Road with no free option at that interchange for airport users.

The Greenway is different. The main toll plaza is just west of VA-28 and the toll differs depending on whether you're coming from the Dulles Toll Road or from VA-28 (the lanes are set up such that you need not worry about the difference). The reason the toll differs is that you have to "exit" the state-operated Toll Road onto the privately-owned Greenway, which involves paying an exit toll, but in order to avoid having two toll plazas so close to each other the Greenway people collect the Toll Road toll for the state. The toll is currently $6.50 at rush hour and $5.55 at other times. There are then no tolls at any of the westbound exits. Eastbound, there are no entry tolls anywhere; if you enter at Leesburg and drive the whole Greenway, you pay only at the main toll plaza near the airport. However, there are entry tolls on the westbound ramps and exit tolls on the eastbound ramps.

Two things to know about the Greenway:

(1) When you exit eastbound, or enter westbound, the toll is a fixed rate for that interchange no matter how far you go. Suppose you want to exit eastbound at the Loudoun County Parkway to go to Redskins Park. The toll will be $5.50 at rush hour and $4.55 at other times regardless of whether you've come all the way from Leesburg or whether you got on something like two miles to the west in Ashburn (there is no reason to do the latter). Same is true westbound–you pay the toll at the main toll plaza regardless of how far you will go. What this means, practically speaking, is that you should never use the Greenway for short trips. Driving westbound, never exit at Route 606 or the Loudoun County Parkway (especially Route 606!!!) unless Route 28 is closed for some reason. Exit the Dulles Toll Road at Route 28 and bypass the main toll plaza.

(2) Other than at the main toll plaza, the Greenway DOES NOT ACCEPT CASH. It's credit card or E-ZPass only. Even the main toll plaza does not accept cash 24/7. You can find the hours at the following link: https://www.dullesgreenway.com/faqs  (Hopefully this will not result in this becoming another iteration of the tiresome "legal tender" nonsense....)

BTW, use caution at the Dulles Toll Road ramp tolls. Some of them may still have exact-change coin baskets (I'm not positive because I use E-ZPass). If the "Full Service" lane is open, it's not a bad idea to opt for that lane instead of the coin-drop lane if the line is short. The reason? Idiotic aggressive drivers. A lot of E-ZPass users speed through the toll lanes and seem not to realize that there are still cash users out there. While it is, of course, their responsibility to pay attention and to slow down and stop if necessary, it is really scary if you're stopped to throw in your four quarters and you look in the rearview to see a Ford Excursion bearing down on you at 55 mph showing no signs of preparing to stop (this happened to me once back before I got a Smart Tag and I see this sort of thing all the time whenever I exit in Reston).

1995hoo

Posting this separately from my comment above because it's of historical interest. cpzilliacus and Oscar might remember these ads:

Here is a Washington Post article about them. I can't find any of the "Reston, D.C." ads online, but I remember them. I find it amusing to read the article again all these years later in view of the comments about how "Dulles Toll Road" isn't a good name and they needed to come up with something else.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/realestate/1984/10/06/reston-proclaims-itself-the-one-for-the-road/628603a1-ed62-461f-b7ed-62e795239e1a/

Beltway

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 16, 2017, 05:09:31 PM
Here is a Washington Post article about them. I can't find any of the "Reston, D.C." ads online, but I remember them. I find it amusing to read the article again all these years later in view of the comments about how "Dulles Toll Road" isn't a good name and they needed to come up with something else.

Looks like they have settled on it -- http://www.dullestollroad.com/toll/dulles-toll-road

And "Dulles" is part of the name in all four of the associated highways (Greenway, Airport Access Road, Airport Access Road Extension, Toll Road).

Of course they whole thing is also called VA-267 and the Omer L. Hirst — Adelard L. Brault Expressway.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Alps

Quote from: Beltway on September 16, 2017, 11:20:55 PM

Looks like they have settled on it -- http://www.dullestollroad.com/toll/dulles-toll-road

And "Dulles" is part of the name in all four of the associated highways (Greenway, Airport Access Road, Airport Access Road Extension, Toll Road).

Of course they whole thing is also called VA-267 and the Omer L. Hirst — Adelard L. Brault Expressway.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/realestate/1984/10/13/getting-the-picture/e4637bc2-2cd1-49cd-a8d5-6ee483463aa9/?utm_term=.1cc05b9bb05e
It would appear that the "Reston Expressway" name comes from the Reston Land Company only.

Beltway

Quote from: Alps on September 17, 2017, 12:53:01 AM
Quote from: Beltway on September 16, 2017, 11:20:55 PM
https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/realestate/1984/10/13/getting-the-picture/e4637bc2-2cd1-49cd-a8d5-6ee483463aa9/?utm_term=.1cc05b9bb05e
It would appear that the "Reston Expressway" name comes from the Reston Land Company only.

Reston is one of several major locations served by the toll road.  Also, Herndon, Tysons Corner, Dulles Airport.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

abefroman329

I'll be flying to Dulles soon and I need to know the position on airport business regarding rental cars. I'll be picking up and returning the car to the airport.
\

This falls under the definition of "airport business" as it applies to permissible use of the Dulles Airport Access Road, if that was your question.

AlexandriaVA

Is buying a coffee at the gas station on the airport grounds still considered legitimate business for the purposes of the airport access road?

abefroman329

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on October 26, 2017, 12:15:31 PM
Is buying a coffee at the gas station on the airport grounds still considered legitimate business for the purposes of the airport access road?

Maybe.  Keep your receipt, show it to the MWAA cop, see what happens.

They used to tell people that, if you were dropping someone off or picking someone up, and you were on the way to pick them up/on the way home from picking them up, you should carry a copy of their itinerary with you to prove you had airport business.  The truth is, I used to drive to Dulles from DC or Arlington many times a year for fifteen years, and not once was I pulled over or otherwise asked about my airport business.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: abefroman329 on October 27, 2017, 08:57:07 AM
Quote from: AlexandriaVA on October 26, 2017, 12:15:31 PM

Maybe.  Keep your receipt, show it to the MWAA cop, see what happens.

They used to tell people that, if you were dropping someone off or picking someone up, and you were on the way to pick them up/on the way home from picking them up, you should carry a copy of their itinerary with you to prove you had airport business.  The truth is, I used to drive to Dulles from DC or Arlington many times a year for fifteen years, and not once was I pulled over or otherwise asked about my airport business.

Stopping at the Sunoco station on the airport property is (apparently) in legal terms "airport business." 

Also keep in mind that the MWAA cops follow suspected "backtrackers" and other possible Dulles Airport Access Road scofflaws through the airport property to see if they have business there.  Once they see a driver go in to the Sunoco station, why would they want  to waste their time, when there are plenty of other suspected violators out there?

1995hoo

Regarding the Dulles Access Road, take note that the HOV exemption on I-66 will end later this year when HO/T operations begin inside the Beltway. Airport traffic will be subject to the same rules on I-66 as other traffic. In practical terms, it essentially means you don't get a break on the toll if you're going to or from the airport.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.