News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

US 81A in Ft Worth and US 69A in Beaumont?

Started by bugo, July 20, 2012, 11:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

I haven't seen a lot of Texas maps from the 1940s.  Has anybody seen another map that shows them?  When were they decommissioned?  The usends site doesn't have a lot of information about A routes.

Brian556

As for the Ft Worth ALT 81, TxDOT maps do show it. The 1950 map shows it, the 1953 does not.   It appears that ALT 81 was removed because of the new US 81 freeway (now I-35W) had been built. The freeway covered up ALT 81 (the Pecan St portion, anyway), and US 81 was moved from Hemphill St to the new freeway, and the ALT 81 designation was subsequently removed.

The portion of Hemphill ST S of I-20 still has original concrete pavemement and bridges.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

US81

I remember in the 1970's the BGS for Hemphill St from I-820 westbound still had "ALT" and the US 81 shield.  The eastbound signage did not, nor could I find any other signage or information at the time. 

Brian556

Quote from US 81:
QuoteI remember in the 1970's the BGS for Hemphill St from I-820 westbound still had "ALT" and the US 81 shield.  The eastbound signage did not, nor could I find any other signage or information at the time. 

This does not make any sense because ALT US 81 was eliminated before LOOP 217 ( the previous designation of I-820(now I-20)) was constructed.

US81

I have wondered if it was some kind of error, since it appeared only on the westbound sign and I could not find any other trace of it. I remember being very, very frustrated that I could not find out any other information. I have a very clear memory of it - mostly because it was such a puzzle to me.

The exit was listed as Thelin St / Hemphill St.  IH-820 met IH-35 at all cloverleafs, and IH-35 South did not yet meet interstate standards on the stretch between "Highland Terrace" (now Alta Mere Edit: Alta Mesa) and TX 174 at Burleson because it was a highway with at-grade crossovers. At some point in the reconstruction the signage was replaced and "ALT US 81" and "Thelin St" did not appear on the new signs.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.