News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

TX 54 in Van Horn, TX

Started by bugo, October 18, 2012, 07:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

Does TX 54 continue along US 90 to end at I-10?  I was surprised to learn that US 90 continues north of I-10 to end at BL 10.  I personally think TX 54 should be US 90 like it once was.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

bugo

wxfree

Quote from: NE2 on October 18, 2012, 07:50:05 PM
http://www.dot.state.tx.us/tpp/hwy/sh/sh0054.htm

That's the official answer to the question, but the signs are interesting.  The road from downtown to I-10 is signed as US 90 going south and Texas 54 going north.  In each direction it's signed as the number that continues for a long way, and not as the number that's about to end.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

NE2

Quote from: wxfree on October 18, 2012, 08:23:35 PM
That's the official answer to the question, but the signs are interesting.  The road from downtown to I-10 is signed as US 90 going south and Texas 54 going north.  In each direction it's signed as the number that continues for a long way, and not as the number that's about to end.
This is pretty normal. See I-45/US 75.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

agentsteel53

Quote from: NE2 on October 18, 2012, 08:44:36 PM
This is pretty normal. See I-45/US 75.

that's a slightly different situation.  I-345 is, officially, neither I-45, and I cannot recall offhand if it is US-75. 

in Van Horn, the segment in question is both US-90 and TX-54.

but yes, related.  does that kind of thing occur outside of Texas?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

corco

Wait, I don't think US-90 extends past I-10 to the business loop in Van Horn. I think the segment is just SH 54

The TXDOT definition is vague enough to allow either interpretation, specifying the end only as "Van Horn"
QuoteFrom the Texas/Louisiana State Line near Orange via Beaumont, Devers, Liberty, Houston, Sealy, Columbus, Waelder, Luling, Seguin, San Antonio, Hondo, Uvalde, Del Rio, Comstock, Sanderson, Alpine, Marfa and Valentine to Van Horn.  (Orange, Jefferson, Liberty, Harris, Austin, Colorado, Fayette, Gonzales, Caldwell, Guadalupe, Medina, Uvalde, Kinney, Val Verde, Terrell, Pecos, Brewster, Presidio, Jeff Davis, and Culberson Counties)  No change to description. At District's request, removed a segment of US 90, US 277, & US 377 access road, from near Lowe Dr to the end of the access road near Seventeenth St, from the state highway system and returned to city of Del Rio for its control, jurisdiction, and maintenance.

The AASHTO log, though, says it ends at I-10
Quote90   Texas   Regular   Van Horn   74   773   Route ends, Jct. I-10 and U.S. 80

So then we go back to TXDOT to see where US 80 was before decommissioning, because maybe US 80 was on the business loop, which would make that definition unhelpful.
QuoteFrom the Texas/Louisiana State Line near Waskom via Waskom, Longview, Gladewater, Mineola, Wills Point, Terrell, Dallas, Ft. Worth, Weatherford, Ranger, Eastland, Cisco, Baird, Abilene, Sweetwater, Roscoe, Colorado City, Big Spring, Midland, Odessa, Monahans, Pecos, Toyah, Kent, Von Horn, Sierra Blanca, and El Paso to the Texas/New Mexico State Line near Anthony. Eliminating "Alternate Route " through. Ft. Worth until route constructed.   Eliminating "Alternate Route" through El Paso from description of US 80 and separate file made for US 80 Alt (El Paso)--see Minute Order 032159.

which isn't helpful, so back to the 1989 AASHTO log

which gives us definitive proof that US-90 ends at the I-10/US-80 junction
Quote80   Texas   Regular   Jct. E. Kent   37   638   Joins I-10: U.S. 290 joins and ends; I-20 ends
80   Texas   Regular   Van Horn   47   685   U.S. 90 joins and ends

NE2

US 80 was moved to I-10 around Van Horn in 1975: http://www.dot.state.tx.us/tpp/hwy/sl/sl0519.htm

The only relatively clear (but still open to interpretation) statement from TXDOT about where US 90 ends is in the SH 54 file: http://www.dot.state.tx.us/tpp/hwy/sh/sh0054.htm
Note that SH 54 was extended "along SL 519 & US 90", not transferred from as with SH 227: http://www.dot.state.tx.us/tpp/hwy/sh/sh0227.htm

As for what AASHTO says, that would depend on whether Texas submitted a truncation to I-10.

corco

Well right, I think at some point SH 54 and US-90 ran coincident, but the definition of US-90 is vague enough to allow for that change later on without a re-write in definition.

I guess the question would be where AASHTO got their definition, since by 1989 they're unequivocally sure that it ends at I-10. I'd assume a truncation was submitted because that would be a weirdly random change to make otherwise.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.